Author Topic: PS4 launches at midnight - XBone a week later  (Read 11777 times)

Re: PS4 launches at midnight - XBone a week later
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 04:22:46 PM »

Offline abbmack9

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4

Yeah you have to pay for Sony online now but it looks way better than it was on PS3.

They also have PS plus which gives away free games every month.  It's kind of a ridiculous deal.  Which is great for consumers but I wonder how the developers feel.  If I end up getting it I'm probably not going to buy almost any Sony exclusive games for a few months because after that they'll just end up free on PS plus.
[/quote]

Yea the PS plus feature seems awesome. I had a ps3 for a while but then it broke and I switched to xbox. I really liked the ps3 but xbox live was much better IMO. But now it looks like PS4 online is gonna amazing. For those of you getting the ps4, let me know how it is!

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Yeah you have to pay for Sony online now but it looks way better than it was on PS3.

They also have PS plus which gives away free games every month.  It's kind of a ridiculous deal.  Which is great for consumers but I wonder how the developers feel.  If I end up getting it I'm probably not going to buy almost any Sony exclusive games for a few months because after that they'll just end up free on PS plus.
[/b][/b]

Yea the PS plus feature seems awesome. I had a ps3 for a while but then it broke and I switched to xbox. I really liked the ps3 but xbox live was much better IMO. But now it looks like PS4 online is gonna amazing. For those of you getting the ps4, let me know how it is!
[/quote]

developers will not feel anything. It's a marketing scheme. It attracts more buyers because you get a year subscription for free games. Not sure how good the games are, but its their method of "beating" Microsoft. As a gamer, I like that idea regardless of how new or old the game is...just having free stuff is fun :D. Also, this 1 year is a window for Sony to step their game way up. Ok you have these bundles, these games, these features for a year if I buy now vs Microsoft, now convince me to stay.

From what I've read, Xbone has some cool features - like the walk in, voice commands, and cable. Ok, the games you have now, and the subscription can convince me to stay for a year, now convince me to stay longer than that.

In my opinion, since I'm a loyal fan of Playstation, I'll stay regardless, but I cannot speak for my friends who had both.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 05:05:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'd care if I was a developer and the thought amongst gamers slowly became: don't buy the game on release because it will be free down the line.  That sure would hurt sales.

From a consumer standpoint, and the attractiveness of their service, yes it's all good.  Maybe developers get some cut of it or something I'm not sure.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »

Offline abbmack9

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think what it will come down to is loyalty. I feel like each company expects xbox 360 and ps3 owners to buy their next gen consoles and not switch over. I was both a ps3 and 360 owner, but I still don't know which one I would like to get.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
The reason the X-Bone is $100 more is because it comes with the new Kinect. 

I imagine they are pretty comparable when it comes to playing video games.

I've seen demos of the X-Bone and it was kind of intriguing.  You walk into a room, it instantly recognizes your face and pulls up your custom profile... it takes voice commands.. seemlessly switches between apps and games.  Seemed interesting.   I was mostly interested in the TV integration.  If you don't know already, the X-Bone lets you connect your cable through it.... you can then use voice commands to "turn on CBS" or "Show me what's on NBC at 8"... No need to switch back and forth between your cable box and console.

But I was a bit disappointed by what I saw.

#1 - It doesn't have any kind of DVR built into it and doesn't let you access your DVR'd content.  It's basically only useful for watching live television... which I pretty much never watch.

#2 - It doesn't yet seem to allow you to pull up your On Demand content.  That said, I have Comcast out here in Seattle and use the Xfinity app on my ipad sometimes.  It's awesome... lets you easily search your on demand content and stream it through the internet.  The XBox 360 had an Xfinity app so I can imagine the Xbox one will also have an xfinity app eventually.   Also, it's the only console that will have HBO GO... so long-term it might be a replacement for the Cable box afterall... just with no DVR capability. 

#3 - Unfortunately... You can't use any of those apps without a XBox Gold subscription.  That blows.  I have zero interest in paying for a special subscription... I don't play online games enough to warrant it. 

So I've kind of lost a little interest in the Xbox despite the awesome demos of seemless switching between game/tv/app... skyping your friends while you watch live Celtic games sounds interesting, but I don't know who would do it.  Pulling up live scores via the net while watching the Celtic game also sounds interesting... but meh.

I need to read more about the PS4.  I haven't read any "cool" features that really excite me.  It just seems like an updated PS3 console with better graphics.  None of the launch titles excite me... I'll probably buy one eventually, but I'll probably wait a few months for the prices to drop.  I don't have any reason to buy one now.

Side note:  If you have NBA League Pass, I recently found that the PS3 has an awesome app for it.  Xbox 360 doesn't have an app.  Presumably PS4 will eventually have the NBA League Pass app... that might factor into some decisions.

LarryBd33- I have the NBA Gametime app for the 360 and am able to use my League Pass subscription to watch all games in HD. I've been doing this for two years now. The 360 pretty much has every app imaginable.

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 07:05:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'll be playing Batman: Arkham Origins tomorrow.

ON MY PS4!

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
X1 all the way. Ps4 is overrated imo. All that supposed power advantage, yet it doesn't have a game that matches Forza or Ryse in the eye candy dept. Plus, that launch lineup for the ps4 is depressing.

And then there is the cloud potential. Not sure how or if it will work, but it could be huge.

edit:I was wrong, in fact we all are.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/console-wars-heat-up-as-zenith-unveils-gamespace-p,34551/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:42:42 PM by angryguy77 »
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 10:40:39 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
wow

im still thumbin thru the shoe box of
ps2 games at game stop..

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 12:19:24 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Just a PSA for everyone, if you didn't get one and are wishing you did, you can get a PS4 on Amazon right now.  So much for pre-orders, for now I guess:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BGA9WK2/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
After playing a weekend of the ps4, I am very very impressed with the graphics. Played a lot of 2k and then Killzone. The graphics on killzone is just amazing. From the terrain, water down to the player, everything looks good. Love the touchpad and speakers on the controller. So far so good. The GUI for the PS4 is very simple compare to the PS3 (the ps3 was also very simple).

Only problem with the ps4 is it's kind of slow on start, and it froze once when loading 2k. Other than that, a 3 day playing day wasn't so bad. Heard about the blue light of death but I think that's an update issue.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The latest from Southpark.  This is uncensored so be careful if you open it.  You have to pick a side.  Are you are Sony or a Microsoft?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/ss1fy0/see-black-friday-uncensored
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip