Author Topic: Considering relocating to greater Boston area. Advice on safe/small towns?  (Read 24417 times)

Re: Considering relocating to greater Boston area. Advice on safe/small towns?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
If you like small town feel you probably won't be finding it In metro west boston

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 02:50:56 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My advice: avoid Massachusetts like the plague.  It sucks (not that I would live in Maine either).

NH is where it's at!

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Actually Portsmouth is probably the most amazing town in New Hampshire. Its where Id like to relocate and its actually only an hour from Boston. Expensive. But great for the mid 20 somethings (such as myself and you guys). Coffee shops, book stores, music shops, live music, outdoor movies, right on the water, 15 minutes from York Maine. Really great great small town city feel.

Amen!

I live in Dover, which is just on northern side of the bay (only 15 mins away).  The NH seacoast is simply the best.  Mountains only an hour or so away, and the beach pretty much right there.

Also, Portsmouth has a thriving economy and there are numerous high paying, advanced career opportunities available on the Pease Tradeport and in the surrounding areas.

As an added benefit about Dover.  The taxes are lower (than Portsmouth), and the Amrtak Downeaster runs right through downtown.  I can literally walk 5 mins to the train station and be in Boston in a hour.

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'd move elsewhere.  MA has terrible weather and the people arent that friendly.  Its also very expensive to live in much of MA.

Nice sports teams and museums though. 

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
MA has terrible weather and the people arent that friendly. 

Point of contention, MA weather is no different than anywhere else in NE, so I doubt BG is worried about that.  Also, I've never noticed the people of MA to be unfriendly.

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 03:05:14 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
MA has terrible weather and the people arent that friendly. 

Point of contention, MA weather is no different than anywhere else in NE, so I doubt BG is worried about that.  Also, I've never noticed the people of MA to be unfriendly.

hey! I lived in Boston for 20 years and its awesome and filled with nice people! Just don't live in Dorchester, East Boston, New Bedford..actually don't live anywhere south of Braintree...it just gets worse, Brockton and down just keeps getting worse

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
The Framingham/Natick area has some very nice areas (and not so nice) with affordable housing, shopping, their own centers of industry, and rail service to Boston/Worcester along as bus hubs. Both towns have hospitals.

Nice combo's of Urban/Suburban depending on the area of town(s) you're looking at.
Framingham 68K people
Natick 33K

Both about 25 miles from Boston & Worcester but traffic makes them both about a 45 minute drive depending on the hour,

Framingham was placed at # 36 on 'Best Places to Live in US' by CNN Money magazine in 2012
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:40 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Very small town atmosphere but still about1/2 hour commute from Boston, with train/bus transportation handy to Boston...Nahant and Swampscott.  Both on the north shore/coastal towns.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my advice.....dont move to mass, move someplace warm with nice weather  8)

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Wilmington, Woburn, Burlington, Lexington, Bedford

All close access to every major highway and are nice.

Agreed but those are some expensive towns haha.  I was thinking maybe Billerica being a happy medium with safety, location and affordability.

I can vouch for Billerica as that is the town I grew up in.

Billerica doesn't have great highway access to Boston, though. The fasted way to route 93 is either through Wilmington or through multiple junctions Rt3, 95 and then 93.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
The Framingham/Natick area has some very nice areas (and not so nice) with affordable housing, shopping, their own centers of industry, and rail service to Boston/Worcester along as bus hubs. Both towns have hospitals.

Nice combo's of Urban/Suburban depending on the area of town(s) you're looking at.
Framingham 68K people
Natick 33K

Both about 25 miles from Boston & Worcester but traffic makes them both about a 45 minute drive depending on the hour,

Framingham was placed at # 36 on 'Best Places to Live in US' by CNN Money magazine in 2012

Agree, I was born in Framingham and my Brother lives in Natick. I imagine Framingham is still somewhat affordable.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Framingham must have changed dramatically from when I lived there as a child in the early 80's.  I don't remember much about it at all, but my parents always said it was a horrible, run-down ghetto.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Very small town atmosphere but still about1/2 hour commute from Boston, with train/bus transportation handy to Boston...Nahant and Swampscott.  Both on the north shore/coastal towns.
Whoops...sorry...Nahant has no train service, and not sure about bus. Have to drive to Lynn or Swampscott/Lynn line to pick up the train.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I live in Dedham, which is a suburban town, but basically borders the city. Small, quiet town with plenty of hipster appeal (great restaurants, Whole Foods, upscale athletic complexes, etc.) and my house is for sale!!

we also have bus a commuter rail that runs all day and night and goes directly into the city. It is borderline affordable and we have great schools.

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
My advice: avoid Massachusetts like the plague.  It sucks (not that I would live in Maine either).

NH is where it's at!

I have lived in Mass my whole life and I disagree about avoiding it.   I have also worked in NH for 30 years -- there are decent places there and you'll get a small town feel in a number of towns.  But southern NH isn't necessarily cheap.

Some have suggested Billerica as less expensive small town (not Maine small town, but smallish) that is probably affordable and a decent location to mall towns -- 10 minutes from Burlington, 20 from Nashua; and on a good day only about 30 minutes from Boston.

I live in Chelmsford which borders Billerica, Lowell (nice restaurants and some night life -- a city), Carlisle and Westford.    Chelmsford would be more expensive, generally, than Billerica, but very nice, safe, and good proximity to Nashua, Boston, Burlington, Lowell.