Author Topic: No ShotBlocker's starting for game 5. it's overrated.  (Read 4275 times)

Re: No ShotBlocker's starting for either finals team
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

Rofl you're right. I totally forgot, but yeah the Warriors double teamed him and he passed the ball to Curry which wound up getting him benched.

I look like an idiot. My B.

Not an idiot at all.  You are making an interesting point. 

If Jeff had a nickel for every time someone typed "rim protector" he'd be rich.  So many are convinced that we absolutely need a "rim protector" at all costs. 

On the other hand, we really are seeing "small ball" the majority of the time in the Finals.  I would agree as said above that the big guys might be even more important during the regular season but can't say that for sure.

My earliest experience watching this type of lineup was I think the Kevin Gamble/Roy Marple Hawkeyes in 86 or so.  IIRC, that team seemed to feature a main lineup of 5 interchangeable players, none taller than 6'8''. 

Easier to survive that way in college I agree, but I wonder why we seem to be seeing more small ball from teams?  At the same time,  the center and power forward positions are requiring more agility and the "stretch 4" to me seems to be evolving into more of a second small forward. 

So yeah, this is playing out in the Finals.  I'm really curious about how the playoffs impact the choice of rotation (big vs. small) or if it does at all.  I"m curious two about the evolution of the game, and whether positions are becoming (even slightly) less important.   I'm not convinced it is, but I  see evidence--like the Finals--that talent overwhelms positional roles, perhaps even more frequently in the modern NBA.

Re: No ShotBlocker's starting for game 5. it's overrated.
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I think if either team had a good two way center, they'd play.

Bogut offers nothing on offense. Mozgov, while competent and having a decent series, isn't going to REALLY make them pay for putting Green on him. Green may be the size of a SF, but he also almost won DPOY this year.

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 08:15:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think Cleveland made a mistake trying to match up small with GS.

Talent win. 

And if you can surround a top talent big man with the right perimeter talent, still is the best chance to win it all in the NBA. 

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 08:49:25 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I think Cleveland would tell you they really could have used a rim protector in that game. Too many easy baskets on miscommunications where there was no real 'rim protector' to challenge easy buckets.

On the other end, Lebron went to the basket the whole game and was challenged/missed a lot at the rim. So maybe you could say Golden State had rim protection, or imagine if those shots had fallen. They'd be wanting a rim protector too.

Of course, just having a rim protector is not like having an automatic superstar on your team, so it may be a little overhyped. But it's still very important. With the best shots in the league being uncontested layups and 3's, you want guys who can defend those two things very well. Which is guys who can challenge at the rim and guys who can contain penetration and switch defensive assignments to control the perimeter.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 08:51:58 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Except it's not. You have probably forgotten how they have gotten into the Finals in the first place, especially the Warriors.

There's also 81 games to be played in the regular season, and 3 rounds of the Playoffs in your respective conferences. You won't reach the Finals if you cant protect the rim.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Except it's not. You have probably forgotten how they have gotten into the Finals in the first place, especially the Warriors.

There's also 81 games to be played in the regular season, and 3 rounds of the Playoffs in your respective conferences. You won't reach the Finals if you cant protect the rim.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Shot blockers have been overrated for years. Ever since Shaq came into the league, teams have been obsessed with finding defensive stalwarts to either neutralize post forces like Shaq or to be Russell-like and dramatically alter the defensive end of the game for the entire team. The problem is that in most cases, teams end up drafting or signing stiffs that might block or alter a few shots, but are such liabilities in all other aspects of the game that they aren't a net gain to have on the floor.

And I think now as advanced stats/sabermetrics, etc. haven woven their way into the NBA, teams have realized that more and more and are going with smaller more talented lineups. But then again, teams have always done this to varying degrees. Despite having an enforcer in the middle with Perk on the '08 title team, Doc more often went small with a front court of KG/Posey/PP for much of that playoff run.

Re: No ShotBlocker's starting for either finals team
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No one is over 6'8" tall on either team tonight do we make too much of a big deal about ShotBlocker's.

Cough Mozgov?  1.2 BPG is not shabby folks.   

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202389/

Is it elite shot blocking? No.   But he has size and creates problems for the other team.  Same could be said of Bogut.  But he is an even better shot blocker at 1.7 BPG.

Bogut is 7th in BPG and Mozgov is 9th in the playoff, when you consider all the teams and players that is not bad.

Thread title should read, Posted by no ability to analyze finals or read a stat line, perhaps?

Speaking of an inability to read, OP said 'starting', which Bogut and Mozgov, this game, did not.
 ;)

Generally speaking, I agree: this is just as much a knee jerk as the "where was Mozgov when the Celtics were fishing" threads after Game 4.
I may be wrong but didn't Mozgov start today?

Rofl you're right. I totally forgot, but yeah the Warriors double teamed him and he passed the ball to Curry which wound up getting him benched.

I look like an idiot. My B.

NP it's not the first time... I mean, you are not the first one to...  ::) lol jk

I will say that it is important to note, again, that rim protection =/= shot blocking.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Before we get too carried away, most of the best defensive teams in the league this year were anchored by a rim protecting big man.  Just look at the difference in Utah's defense after they began starting Rudy Gobert.

I think that what these Finals are showing is that, as D.o.s. suggests, there's more than one way to achieve that rim protection.

In today's league, the rangy wing stopper is probably at least as important, if not more important, than the warden of the paint.  Fitting, then, that the DPOY award was given to Kawhi Leonard.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Cleveland made a mistake trying to match up small with GS.

Talent win. 

And if you can surround a top talent big man with the right perimeter talent, still is the best chance to win it all in the NBA.
They stayed big in game 4 and while Mosgov and Thompson scored a lot, they still lost by 20.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
No one is over 6'8" tall on either team tonight do we make too much of a big deal about ShotBlocker's. Is it more about getting the best five basketball players you can find.

It's easy to say, when you have a couple sitting on the bench for you. Take them away, and the opposition takes advantage. 

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think this just speaks to Golden State's versatility and how well-constructed they are. They can match up with traditional big-men like Memphis has with Gasol-Randolph by using Bogut as an achor, or they can wreak havoc on small-ball type teams like the Rockets. The fact that Golden State just has former all-NBA player David Lee and All-Defense-Team Andrew Bogut sitting there to use when they can is such a great commodity. Add that to Green who can matchup 1-4 and Thompson who has the length and quckness to guard all wings, and you have a great team. That's not even mentioning Barnes and Igudoua.

Basically, Golden State can outrun Cleveland, neutralize their post threats reasonably well any given night (Bogut, Green), score on the block at will any given night (Lee), rain threes (Curry, Thompson, etc.), neutralize LeBron to the most reasonable expectation (Iggy et al.), light a spark (Curry, Barbosa, Livingston, Barnes), and matchup small or big. Kerr happened to realize that small lineups get the rhythm going for his team, so he can make that adjustment with no drop-off in performance. The Cavs are trying something new out of necessity.