Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203743 times)

Re: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive
« Reply #390 on: March 22, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Canada is not sending its athletes to the 2020 Olympics at Tokyo.

At this point, I'd be shocked if the Olympics weren't cancelled. Or maybe delayed to next year?

More teams will be dropping out I imagine, to the point where it won't be worth it to hold.

Is it that difficult to postpone them for a year? I get that Japan invested a great deal in these games, and would be set to lose a huge amount of $$ if they are cancelled, but what's wrong with a 1 year postponement?
Absolutely nothing.

« Reply #391 on: March 22, 2020, 10:51:28 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Canada is not sending its athletes to the 2020 Olympics at Tokyo.

At this point, I'd be shocked if the Olympics weren't cancelled. Or maybe delayed to next year?

More teams will be dropping out I imagine, to the point where it won't be worth it to hold.

Is it that difficult to postpone them for a year? I get that Japan invested a great deal in these games, and would be set to lose a huge amount of $$ if they are cancelled, but what's wrong with a 1 year postponement?

Money, revenue, and effort (of constructing this event in Tokyo for 3+ years). But I'd still postpone in a landslide with this pandemic going on.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #392 on: March 23, 2020, 09:58:07 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
They'd be insane to try & host the Olympics this summer.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #393 on: March 23, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Dick Pound of the IOC says that the Olympics will be postponed, though there's no official announcement yet.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1242153990378455041

"On the basis of the information the IOC has, postponement has been decided," Pound said. "The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the Games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know... We will postpone this and begin to deal with all the ramifications of moving this, which are immense."

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #394 on: March 23, 2020, 06:53:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Celtics announced they've officially gotten test results on everyone and only Smart was positive.

« Reply #395 on: March 24, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #396 on: March 24, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It would be interesting to get a followup report on the players that first tested positive, Gobert , Mitchell, etc. How are they doing?

« Reply #397 on: March 24, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Looks like Gobert completely lost his sense of smell and taste recently:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jazz-rudy-gobert-experiencing-loss-of-smell-and-taste-coronavirus

« Reply #398 on: March 24, 2020, 11:17:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It would be interesting to get a followup report on the players that first tested positive, Gobert , Mitchell, etc. How are they doing?

Gobert’s primary symptom beyond his initial flu-like symptoms appears to be anosmia.  Mitchell has been pretty active on social media, so he’s likely mostly fine, although has retweeted some Utah public health officials urging everyone to take this seriously, so perhaps he’s felt it a bit (or is just concerned like a normal human).

« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2020, 04:18:00 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Gobert’s primary symptom beyond his initial flu-like symptoms appears to be anosmia.  Mitchell has been pretty active on social media, so he’s likely mostly fine, although has retweeted some Utah public health officials urging everyone to take this seriously, so perhaps he’s felt it a bit (or is just concerned like a normal human).

I hadn't heard this. While I'm waiting for my test to get back, this is interesting because a week or so ago, I told my wife that I felt like I could taste anything as well or smell very well. Multiple times I missed a dirty diaper by one of my kids because I couldn't smell it.

« Reply #400 on: March 24, 2020, 05:39:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I hadn't heard this. While I'm waiting for my test to get back, this is interesting because a week or so ago, I told my wife that I felt like I could taste anything as well or smell very well. Multiple times I missed a dirty diaper by one of my kids because I couldn't smell it.

We read about this on Sunday and it caused a minor household freakout because my wife, who was literally on Day 14 after returning from a trip to NYC (where she took a lot of precautions, but still), noted that her sense of smell+taste had been diminished for a few days.

Fortunately her senses came pretty much fully back the next day and we're attributing it to congestion from her allergies. But that was a very scary 24 hours and we're being extra vigilant again for a few more days.

Best of luck with your test results, just act like you've got it til they hopefully confirm you don't.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:45:24 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #401 on: March 25, 2020, 03:25:10 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Minnesota Timberwolves star Karl-Anthony Towns has become the latest public face of the NBA's fight against coronavirus after revealing in an emotional video late Tuesday night that his mother has been hospitalized for the last week and is dealing with health complications from what he believes to be COVID-19.

Towns said that his mother, Jacqueline Cruz, is in a medically induced coma and had to be put on a ventilator.

« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2020, 04:36:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Minnesota Timberwolves star Karl-Anthony Towns has become the latest public face of the NBA's fight against coronavirus after revealing in an emotional video late Tuesday night that his mother has been hospitalized for the last week and is dealing with health complications from what he believes to be COVID-19.

Towns said that his mother, Jacqueline Cruz, is in a medically induced coma and had to be put on a ventilator.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-JMTMeJhi6/?igshid=8fmvf0f35qld

Here's his video about it if anyone is interested
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2020, 06:17:31 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Really puts a human face to this doesn't it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #404 on: March 25, 2020, 07:21:44 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Really puts a human face to this doesn't it.

Yes it does. Yet some people here will tell you "oh buuuttt the real mortality rate is sooo low, its overblown". You can't tell that to the victims.