Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 204211 times)

Re: Coronavirus and the NBA, NCAA, NHL, MLB, etc.(merged threads)
« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2020, 06:16:09 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
NBA and NFL offering free access to their streaming services. 

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-18-20-intl-hnk/h_c9e71d7636aafcffa1124ef3a28dedff

NFL doing something for free? That's a first.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2020, 06:41:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I couldn't find the thread on thoughts about whether the season is over, but wanted to comment on that.

I think the last few days have seen a lot of reality sink in.  A week ago I thought that school buildings might be reopen in 3-5 weeks.  Today I feel pretty certain that school buildings will be closed for the remainder of the school year and through the summer.

I am leaning pretty strongly to the belief that the 2019-20 NBA season is done for the year.  I think the only possibility would be that they decide to squeeze in a playoff tournament in September/October and then not begin the following season till December/January.   Hope they wouldn't do that.

« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I couldn't find the thread on thoughts about whether the season is over, but wanted to comment on that.

I think the last few days have seen a lot of reality sink in.  A week ago I thought that school buildings might be reopen in 3-5 weeks.  Today I feel pretty certain that school buildings will be closed for the remainder of the school year and through the summer.

I am leaning pretty strongly to the belief that the 2019-20 NBA season is done for the year.  I think the only possibility would be that they decide to squeeze in a playoff tournament in September/October and then not begin the following season till December/January.   Hope they wouldn't do that.

next 2-4 weeks is going to be critical in this country because so many lives at stake ...  everyone may be touched by a family member or friends death. 

« Reply #334 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:14 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
At this point, I'd actually be stunned if the NHL and NBA seasons resumed this season. I'd also be stunned if the Olympics happened. It's tough, but there's no way they can hold an Olympics this year given what's happening now. You're literally asking for even worse than what's already happening by holding an Olympics, even if you don't have fans in attendance
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #335 on: March 18, 2020, 09:49:30 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
At this point, I'd actually be stunned if the NHL and NBA seasons resumed this season. I'd also be stunned if the Olympics happened. It's tough, but there's no way they can hold an Olympics this year given what's happening now. You're literally asking for even worse than what's already happening by holding an Olympics, even if you don't have fans in attendance
There is still the hope that the virus will be significantly impacted when the weather heats up and there are some nice sunny days. 

« Reply #336 on: March 18, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

« Reply #337 on: March 19, 2020, 12:09:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
There is still the hope that the virus will be significantly impacted when the weather heats up and there are some nice sunny days.

Hate to break it to you, but here in PH it is already summer and nope it doesnt slow the virus.

« Reply #338 on: March 19, 2020, 12:16:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hate to break it to you, but here in PH it is already summer and nope it doesnt slow the virus.
Same with Indonesia and Malaysia. All consistently above 30 degrees Celsius yet still spreading.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #339 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Same with Indonesia and Malaysia. All consistently above 30 degrees Celsius yet still spreading.

Because the virus can mutate. That's kind of the other issue with this. Yes, it's possible warm-hot weather slows the spread a little, but the fact of the matter is, it can still mutate and spread gradually. That's why containment and social-distancing remain key regardless.

It's not hot next week, but temperatures will be consistently around 55-70 degrees it seems in Massachusetts. We'll see what happens.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #340 on: March 19, 2020, 10:38:26 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Nope.  There is no evidence that that the virus doesn't like warm temperatures.   Every country between the two tropics with the exception of the 4 saharan countries has confirmed cases.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #341 on: March 19, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Nope.  There is no evidence that that the virus doesn't like warm temperatures.   Every country between the two tropics with the exception of the 4 saharan countries has confirmed cases.

Possibly the behavior of the people will be more impacted when it is warmer. If people exercise more, open windows, and get outside, it would make it less likely to get infected, right?

« Reply #342 on: March 19, 2020, 11:09:22 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:37:32 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #343 on: March 19, 2020, 12:15:24 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Possibly the behavior of the people will be more impacted when it is warmer. If people exercise more, open windows, and get outside, it would make it less likely to get infected, right?

Maybe, traditionally, that is true for colds and flu virus propagation.   Cross-fingers and hope?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #344 on: March 19, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Maybe, traditionally, that is true for colds and flu virus propagation.   Cross-fingers and hope?
The British report that got leaked to the Guardian predicted it would die down (not completely go away) during the summer months and then it would ramp back up in the fall and go into early next year.