Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260362 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: GENERAL COMMENTARY
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just awaiting taking a team with the 10th pick that should have gone much higher.

Its the best place to be picking. Plus, you don't have that hollow, "I've been handed a superhero team and I have zero challenge for the rest of this thing" feeling you get with a Thunder or Heat pick.
I was thinking it might be cool to have one of the last franchise picks knowing that you get the cream of the crop of players left knowing that there will be ten teams left over to filch the best players from those teams that didn't get to protect two players.

Every once and awhile, someone gets to pick a team like the Spurs with the second to last pick.

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
If done right, the last pick in the franchise round (+ a stud in the first round) could lead to one of the best teams.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Just awaiting taking a team with the 10th pick that should have gone much higher.

Its the best place to be picking. Plus, you don't have that hollow, "I've been handed a superhero team and I have zero challenge for the rest of this thing" feeling you get with a Thunder or Heat pick.
I was thinking it might be cool to have one of the last franchise picks knowing that you get the cream of the crop of players left knowing that there will be ten teams left over to filch the best players from those teams that didn't get to protect two players.

With 20 teams, I think its a good strategy. Problem is..I think there are what..3 teams with "can't miss" 3rd guys? OKC, MIA, Deng's in Cleveland now so Chicago is out, its a pretty short list. Unless someone opts for a binkie over an established player, the 3rd guy strategy is a pretty thin pool. Used to have SAS, Boston (now Brooklyn), Chicago, OKC, Miami, now the 3rd best player on 3 of those teams is a guy so far past his prime..

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
A reminder that if you're unable to make your pick tomorrow, you can leave a list with me via PM. If you have the X'th pick, be sure to make your list X teams long, and include your two keepers for each team.

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am liking Cauley Stein if we got a mid range first round pick because I think he could cover Sully's weak areas.  He has shot blocking, length and defensive range and can run.

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »

fitzhickey

I am liking Cauley Stein if we got a mid range first round pick because I think he could cover Sully's weak areas.  He has shot blocking, length and defensive range and can run.
You post in the right topic?

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just to clarify, the times posted in the pick list are the DUE times, correct?  not when we're on the clock--correct?

also, even though a list of players was provided (thanks by the way), we could choose to pick someone playing elsewhere, correct?

just a couple of clarifications for everyone.

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 10:02:42 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
just to clarify, the times posted in the pick list are the DUE times, correct?  not when we're on the clock--correct?

also, even though a list of players was provided (thanks by the way), we could choose to pick someone playing elsewhere, correct?

just a couple of clarifications for everyone.

Yes, that's right about the pick times. If you're late, you might get lucky and the GM after you will wait until his deadline to make his pick, but if your pick is due at 12:00, the GM after you is completely in his rights to pick at 12:00:01.

I think the list should be exhaustive, as I compiled it from (1) current NBA rosters, (2) a webpage including most free agents who have played in the NBA within the last five years, and (3) a list of rights owned by NBA teams. If there's someone missing please PM me and if it's a legitimate addition I'll put him on the list. Better safe than sorry; you don't want to pick a guy and have him not be eligible and have to re-pick after other GMs took your second choice.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 10:02:43 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Are we trying to build the best team for the future? Or are we basing teams on fantasy points and this years statistics? Take injuries into account etc.

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
Are we trying to build the best team for the future? Or are we basing teams on fantasy points and this years statistics? Take injuries into account etc.

That's entirely up to you. You can treat it as a one-year exercise and "go for the title," or build for the future with young guys. Injuries in the past have been a grey area, but generally you're docked a little if one of your key pieces is hurt or is an injury risk. Again, though, this is all for fun, so as long as you're okay taking a hurt player, that should be all that matters.

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:38 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I treat it like CB draft except picking two players to keep.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 10:46:17 PM »

Offline Merovech

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46

That's entirely up to you. You can treat it as a one-year exercise and "go for the title," or build for the future with young guys. Injuries in the past have been a grey area, but generally you're docked a little if one of your key pieces is hurt or is an injury risk. Again, though, this is all for fun, so as long as you're okay taking a hurt player, that should be all that matters.

Agreed, though we judge based on actual basketball, not on fantasy points.  While they often correlate, they do not do so exactly.
2014 Pick 2 OKC Thunder
PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Jeremy Lamb / Jodie Meeks
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Taj Gibson / Derrick Favors
C: Greg Monroe / Brandan Wright
7.19, 8.19, 9.19, 10.19

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Agreed, though we judge based on actual basketball, not on fantasy points.  While they often correlate, they do not do so exactly.

Excellent. Thanks folks.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
37 minutes until celticpride07 selects the Miami Heat and kicks this thing off.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I like my pick spot even though I will get a lesser franchise. I like having a much better selection in the third round, fourth round, etc.  I think I should be able to get a pretty solid team that way. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip