Author Topic: Not signing Fournier…  (Read 19680 times)

Re: Not signing Fournier…
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2021, 08:19:55 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Speaking of Nesmith anyone else  sad we didn't get Precious Achiuwa instead?

That thought came to mind a few times last night.
Ime would still play Grant over him

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2021, 10:58:58 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I think our problem is the roster. We only have two playable bigs. I look down that bench and don’t see a big I want to give minutes to.

The Al and Rob experiment might have to end, not because that lineup won’t work but because it leads to unplayable second units.

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2021, 12:35:03 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
Two games. ;)
His 25/4/3/3 sure would have helped these last two games. As would Hayward's 23/6/3...

yeah, i was thinking about how much this team misses hayward. he was unjustly vilified due to his injury/contract, and i think we’re beginning to realize he wasn’t the problem.

only two games in but he’s leading the 2-0 hornets in minutes and +/-, he’s second in scoring, second in assists, and he’s shooting well. again, only two games but his stat line is a healthy 23/3/6, on 47% FG and 55% 3pt shooting.

what we’ve witnessed from our team over the past year+ might be offering some insight into why gordon wanted out of boston. we sure could use his length, facilitating, team mentality, and scoring right now.

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2021, 04:38:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Two games. ;)
His 25/4/3/3 sure would have helped these last two games. As would Hayward's 23/6/3...

yeah, i was thinking about how much this team misses hayward. he was unjustly vilified due to his injury/contract, and i think we’re beginning to realize he wasn’t the problem.

only two games in but he’s leading the 2-0 hornets in minutes and +/-, he’s second in scoring, second in assists, and he’s shooting well. again, only two games but his stat line is a healthy 23/3/6, on 47% FG and 55% 3pt shooting.

what we’ve witnessed from our team over the past year+ might be offering some insight into why gordon wanted out of boston. we sure could use his length, facilitating, team mentality, and scoring right now.
If he was still here he would have likely gone down with a fluke injury anyway. Such is our luck
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2021, 09:18:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Knicks played yesterday, yet this thread wasn't bumped by those pro-Fournier people. 

It is early in the season, but Fournier is going to be who has always been over the course of a season.  Boston letting him go just doesn't matter because he isn't good enough to make a meaningful difference for Boston. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2021, 09:27:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Knicks played yesterday, yet this thread wasn't bumped by those pro-Fournier people. 

It is early in the season, but Fournier is going to be who has always been over the course of a season.  Boston letting him go just doesn't matter because he isn't good enough to make a meaningful difference for Boston.

I'll bump this up after he has a good game, you'll bump it up if he has a bad game.

Deal?

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I think our problem is the roster. We only have two playable bigs. I look down that bench and don’t see a big I want to give minutes to.

The Al and Rob experiment might have to end, not because that lineup won’t work but because it leads to unplayable second units.

They only played 13 minutes together vs. Toronto and 10 vs. Houston, so it’s not like they’re out there a majority of the time together.  What was interesting yesterday was Grant played 15 minutes with each.  If he can have more nights like yesterday, then Udoka can spend most of the game in a three-big rotation with Grant at the 4 a lot with one of Horford and Time Lord, and other times with the Horford-Williams lineup.

Curious to see the rotations on the second night of a back-to-back.  Should be different, because hopefully Jaylen will be back.

« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2021, 10:11:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I'll bump this up after he has a good game, you'll bump it up if he has a bad game.

Deal?

Fournier had 32 pts against us then 18 @ ORL and 8 vs. ORL.  I don't think signing him or not is a big deal but why don't we let him settle in for NYK and see what he is going to do, say over 10 games?  My prediction is that he keeps his numbers up in the 18 pts range but that they end up being fairly "soft" points, like he was in ORL and like he was for 16 games for us.

In terms of Hayward, really, are we still going back to that?  Hayward at $30M is an overpay.  You don't become a title contender overpaying players like Hayward.  He is a good player, probably not an all star anymore, but a good player.  Just not a player we need enough to overpay for.  Plus last season, Hayward was very inconsistent in terms of scoring.  Check the game log, there are as many 7, 8, 9 pts games as there are 30+ games.  18 pts and 6 assists is nice but we have to move on.

« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2021, 10:19:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Deal?

Fournier had 32 pts against us then 18 @ ORL and 8 vs. ORL.  I don't think signing him or not is a big deal but why don't we let him settle in for NYK and see what he is going to do, say over 10 games?  My prediction is that he keeps his numbers up in the 18 pts range but that they end up being fairly "soft" points, like he was in ORL and like he was for 16 games for us.

In terms of Hayward, really, are we still going back to that?  Hayward at $30M is an overpay.  You don't become a title contender overpaying players like Hayward.  He is a good player, probably not an all star anymore, but a good player.  Just not a player we need enough to overpay for.  Plus last season, Hayward was very inconsistent in terms of scoring.  Check the game log, there are as many 7, 8, 9 pts games as there are 30+ games.  18 pts and 6 assists is nice but we have to move on.

I think you’re right, he’ll be around 18 ppg with elite shooting.  I guess we can quibble if that’s enough production for a third option, but you’re correct to point out that guys who have averaged around those numbers for us (Hayward, Kemba) are playing on max contracts.  For the price of Hayward or Kemba, we could have essentially had Fournier, Richardson and Schroder.  The problem was, we decided to cheap out instead.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2021, 10:41:51 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Deal?

I think you’re right, he’ll be around 18 ppg with elite shooting.  I guess we can quibble if that’s enough production for a third option, but you’re correct to point out that guys who have averaged around those numbers for us (Hayward, Kemba) are playing on max contracts.  For the price of Hayward or Kemba, we could have essentially had Fournier, Richardson and Schroder.  The problem was, we decided to cheap out instead.

I don't understand this.  Hayward is $30M, Kemba is now $9M, and Fournier is $17M, total $56M.  Instead, we have Horford ($28M), Richardson ($12M), and Schroder ($6M), total $46M.  I think what you are saying is somehow trade Kemba for Fournier and Richardson while signing Schroder so we don't end up with Horford?

That is really a whole new debate, to have Fournier instead of Horford?

« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Deal?

I don't understand this.  Hayward is $30M, Kemba is now $9M, and Fournier is $17M, total $56M.  Instead, we have Horford ($28M), Richardson ($12M), and Schroder ($6M), total $46M.  I think what you are saying is somehow trade Kemba for Fournier and Richardson while signing Schroder so we don't end up with Horford?

No, I’m saying that the Celts originally had two max salary slots, allocated to Kemba ($35 million) and Hayward.  If Horford takes one of those slots in the short term, there would have been money to fill the other slot with Fournier, Richardson and Schroder (whose combined salaries are roughly Kemba’s).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Deal?

No, I’m saying that the Celts originally had two max salary slots, allocated to Kemba ($35 million) and Hayward.  If Horford takes one of those slots in the short term, there would have been money to fill the other slot with Fournier, Richardson and Schroder (whose combined salaries are roughly Kemba’s).
Except last year Hayward wasn't on the team and the year he was Tatum was still on his rookie contract.  Boston has never had more than 3 max type contracts on the roster.  This year they still have 3 - Tatum, Brown, Horford.  There isn't room for a 4th max contract type slot.  Dollar wise it was Fournier or Richardson + Schroder, and the latter makes far more sense than the former in that scenario.

« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Deal?

OK, I know you really feel that the Celtics are cheap for not signing Fournier but I think the progression is as follows:

2019  Hayward + Walker, about $65M
2020  Walker + Thompson + Teague + Fournier (half Season)
2021  Horford + Richardson + Schroder

What you are not figuring into this is that in 2020, Brown went to a max and in 2021 Tatum went max.  Fournier at $17M is not that bad of a contract, it is actually a fair contract for what you expect to get from him.  We just didn't need another wing.  Brad had a good look at Fournier and decided not to sign him.  I don't see it as them wanting him but not having the money.  Who knows though.

In my mind, Fournier does not solve any problem, just gives us more options at a position we are already stacked at (Brown, Tatum, Richardson, Langford, Nesmith, and Smart sometimes).  Now if Fournier was a comparably talented legit big and they let him go, I would be with you.

« Reply #118 on: October 26, 2021, 07:39:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Deal?

Is 38% elite shooting?  The more FGA's he has had, generally the worse he has shot from 3.  So when he is a top 2 or 3 option on a team, he is worse than 38%.  When he has been in the 4th or 5th option range he has shot in the 40% range.  That is pretty consistent in his career.  So you may very well get elite shooting, but it is when Fournier takes on a smaller offensive load and you just can't pay your 4th or 5th option 18 million a year and he isn't good enough to be a top 2 or 3 option. 

« Reply #119 on: October 26, 2021, 08:50:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I for one do not miss Kemba or Fournier.