Author Topic: I still have Romeo over Nesmith  (Read 29719 times)

Re: I still have Romeo over Nesmith
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2021, 10:28:36 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I am still a believer in Romeo, but from what we've seen in SL through last night, it is clear that Nesmith has blown by him - both figuratively, in terms of growth, and literally, with his surprising ability to score at multiple levels.

I am sure the team still loves Romeo's defense and they definitely want him to be successful, but Nesmith has really improved in his short time here.
Nesmith is ahead of Romeo, but the gap is not as big as you make it sound ("blown by him").  Romeo is still superior in creating his own shot (Nesmith can't do this at all) and on-ball defense.  I had just about given up on Romeo but now I think there's a shot he could be a useful player.

The big issue for Romeo, I think, is going beyond simple reads. I agree he’s better at beating his man off the dribble, but he’s not very good at seeing the help and reacting. He’ll blow by his man and when the help is there he’ll try to get his shot off over two defenders instead of making a pass that would create a much easier shot. He gets better at that and I like his ceiling.

This was a H U G E problem for Jaylen Brown at the start of his career. He didn’t start improving on this until his 3-4th year.

I guess it’s because these young guys have had superior athletic ability compared to the competition for so long that the adjustment takes a while. At the lower levels when you blow by the 1st defender, you’re home free. No one else is getting in your way.

In the NBA when you get by your defender, other guys are quickly rotating to meet you. Guys with length that can jump. You might be able to out-athlete one guy, but not 2-3.

Jaylen learned, hopefully Romeo will too, if he is allowed to drive and create and not just stand in the corner. I think he can. Everyone is raving about Nesmith after the last preseason game, but something that stood out to me was Romeo’s “hockey assist.” He got stopped under the hoop, but found Nesmith, who quickly found Rob Williams, who scored. Aaron got the assist, but Romeo broke the defense by getting the ball to him.

« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2021, 10:54:20 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I am still a believer in Romeo, but from what we've seen in SL through last night, it is clear that Nesmith has blown by him - both figuratively, in terms of growth, and literally, with his surprising ability to score at multiple levels.

I am sure the team still loves Romeo's defense and they definitely want him to be successful, but Nesmith has really improved in his short time here.
Nesmith is ahead of Romeo, but the gap is not as big as you make it sound ("blown by him").  Romeo is still superior in creating his own shot (Nesmith can't do this at all) and on-ball defense.  I had just about given up on Romeo but now I think there's a shot he could be a useful player.

The big issue for Romeo, I think, is going beyond simple reads. I agree he’s better at beating his man off the dribble, but he’s not very good at seeing the help and reacting. He’ll blow by his man and when the help is there he’ll try to get his shot off over two defenders instead of making a pass that would create a much easier shot. He gets better at that and I like his ceiling.

I think his playmaking has gotten better. There were a couple of instances last night when he penetrated then dished off to the open man.  He actually is pretty good at this for his age.

Nesmith is the superior shooter and scorer. He is able to get off shots at a higher degree of difficulty, especially at the perimeter.

But I remain quite optimistic about the development of both guys. I still expect Ime to give Romeo more minutes at this stage because it seems based on his post game comments that he is more comfortable relying on Romeo than Nesmith on defensive rotations.  I also think if Al is unable to start the season due to COVID, we are likely to see Romeo in the starting lineup. 

I think Nesmith and Romeo can flourish together.   J Rich is the vet security blanket that may not be needed, given how these two are developing, and may only serve to delay their growth.  If this continues, would not be surprised to see J Rich flipped for a couple of 2nd round picks when he is eligible to be traded.

« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2021, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
we can debate which player has more potential or focus on the fact that these two plus PP are legitimate NBA players.  Nesmith is exiting with his hustle and shooting.  Sniper in the like of JJ Redick in his prime.  Nesmith has more defensive potential.  PP will be a great backup PG fill in starter.  Great shooter but just isn't quick enough to be elite to finish in the paint.  Romeo reminds me of JB in JB's 2nd year.  He can really get his shot, plays good D, can rebound but just isn't consistent shooting the 3.  This is his first non injury offseason.  I expect a monumental leap for him this year and he actually has starter potential. I don't see All Star caliber players for any of them but they can be above average role players and if we have these guys beating up on the 2nd units of the other teams it's going to be a fun year.

« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2021, 12:28:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have actually been a big defender or Romeo over the last couple of years and I am happy to see him finally starting to show something, but Nesmith is just so far ahead of him as a scorer. Until Summer League, I had no idea Nesmith could get to the rim and finish off the dribble. Then last night he got into the lane, stopped on a dime, and drained a very JB-like turnaround. This is so promising since all of us thought he could only hit open catch-and-shoot 3s.

Romeo can get by his man, but last night he absolutely sucked at converting. He needs to be a lot craftier if he wants to get his shot off without getting blocked. At this point, Romeo is looking more like the 3-and-D player we thought Nesmith might be. And Nesmith might actually be something more. It would be great if both guys continued to develop and flourish.

« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2021, 04:17:34 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 Nesmith scares me with the ball that he’s gonna turn it over and his defense I think is pretty bad both on his man and off ball. I think he’s going to come around snd he a good player in this league. I haven’t a clue HOW good a shooter he’ll be. There’s so many amazing shooters now and more each year so he’ll need the rest of his game to come along.
  Right now if I was looking to win ONE game I’d have Romeo ahead of him but I’m hoping Nesmith is a special kind of shooter. Just no idea. Too young snd not much college to really know at this point I think.   

« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2021, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Right now for our team, we need scoring punch from guys other than JT/ JB.  On that one issue I would tend to rate Nesmith a little higher over Romeo for playing time this year.

I don't see our offense / scoring problems improved that much from last year just because we dumped Kemba and picked up J Rich and DS.

« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2021, 06:16:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Romeo can get by his man, but last night he absolutely sucked at converting. He needs to be a lot craftier if he wants to get his shot off without getting blocked. At this point, Romeo is looking more like the 3-and-D player we thought Nesmith might be. And Nesmith might actually be something more. It would be great if both guys continued to develop and flourish.

He seemed to think he could power them over Mo Bamba which I love his confidence but boy was he wrong.

« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Both young guys have really good preseasons. If their shooting carries over into the regular season, the Celtics are a deep team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2021, 10:14:00 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Only a couple games into the regular season, but their arrows are pointing in opposite directions.  Nesmith is 0-10 from the field and hasn’t scored a point, while Romeo has shot very (albeit unsustainably) well, with an eFG% of .727, and has definitively been higher in the rotation than Nesmith.

Of course, Romeo lasted only two games before getting hurt, but he looks like he’s made the Year 3 leap, while Nesmith seems to be heading for the dreaded sophomore slump.

« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2021, 10:23:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Only a couple games into the regular season, but their arrows are pointing in opposite directions.  Nesmith is 0-10 from the field and hasn’t scored a point, while Romeo has shot very (albeit unsustainably) well, with an eFG% of .727, and has definitively been higher in the rotation than Nesmith.

Of course, Romeo lasted only two games before getting hurt, but he looks like he’s made the Year 3 leap, while Nesmith seems to be heading for the dreaded sophomore slump.

I’m surprised by Nesmith’s shooting to start the year.  He looked pretty solid in preseason.

I’m thrilled with Romeo’s play in the preseason and in the first couple of games.  If he keeps hitting threes, he’s a valuable player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Most of the team is shooting worse than last year, even Brown, who is shooting well, is shooting worse than last year.  Only G. Williams, Langford, and Richardson have shot the ball from deep better than last year.  Just a rough start shooting to start the year.

Schroder needs to start.  He just sets a different tone for the team.  Hopefully Ime comes around to Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Horford.  That is the best and most cohesive starting unit.  Though with Brown out, I was fine with the 2 big starting lineup and that seemed to work pretty well against a bad team like the Rockets. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Completely agree with the OP and will do him one better… Romeo will shoot a better 3p% this year than Nesmith. Get your chuckles in now.

Really??? What's the policy on here for wagering money?

Just wanted to flag this. Yes, I am celebrating early. I believe Nesmith will have a fine career, but we were way unbalanced in the way we were looking at these two players over the summer.

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2021, 12:02:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Completely agree with the OP and will do him one better… Romeo will shoot a better 3p% this year than Nesmith. Get your chuckles in now.

Really??? What's the policy on here for wagering money?

Just wanted to flag this. Yes, I am celebrating early. I believe Nesmith will have a fine career, but we were way unbalanced in the way we were looking at these two players over the summer.
ah yes because 3 games means you reevaluate everything.  20 games into the season, if Romeo is still healthy and producing at this sort of level and Nesmith is not, then maybe you start to reevaluate, 3 games you do not.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2021, 12:09:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Romeo is not go down without a fight either

Both guys are totally convinced they belong in the big show .

Fun stuff. :)

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2021, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Schroder needs to start.  He just sets a different tone for the team.  Hopefully Ime comes around to Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Horford.  That is the best and most cohesive starting unit.  Though with Brown out, I was fine with the 2 big starting lineup and that seemed to work pretty well against a bad team like the Rockets.

Exactly what my prediction was. That lineup appeared briefly in the Toronto game, and for a little longer in the 4th with Rob instead of Al; but Ime sounds like he likes the two-big lineups, and for most of the game he's bringing in Grant for either Rob or Al.

So Udoka so far prefers Tatum as a '3' and Brown as a '2', or whatever we call them - big wing and small wing or something.

There's been an outcry around here about smallball, but Udoka seems to prefer big lineups for the most part. Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford as starters all have a size advantage.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021