Author Topic: If you could...  (Read 10003 times)

If you could...
« on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
...build a team around ONE player in Celtics' franchise history, whom would you choose to start with?

I'd pick Larry Bird...I always believed he made everyone else around him a better player.

In the late 80's I remember watching him play with guys like Darren Daye, Fred Roberts, Mark Acres, Sam Vincent, Conner Henry, etc. and they would still somehow win ballgames.  Anyone remember the double-overtime win against the Bullets when Larry hit that goofy looking turnaround runner to win the game (actually he did it twice due to some timing error)?  I believe he was on the floor with 4 clowns and still somehow pulled it out.

But I'd be interested to hear what you guys think...Would you pick Russell...Cousy...Havlicek...Pierce...McHale...?
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Re: If you could...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Solid question. 

I'd probably take Russell.  Start with big guy and work my way from there.  He immediately brings you a defensive stalwart.  Along with his rebounding dominance and ability to score, I think he's the ideal cornerstone for building a team.

Can't fault anyone for taking Bird, though.  I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
This is like asking me to choose between children...I guess I'd go with Larry just because I'm most familiar with him and trusted him completely.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Larry is my man too.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:49:23 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i say russell.  dominate the defensive end and boards (he could score as well).  build around the big man

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
How about you take away Russell and Bird?

otherwise this thread will just go back and forth forever... ;)
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Big man for me as well. Bird second, but after him I'd go McHale, Garnett, then I'd probably go Cowens, Maxwell, Walton & Co. before Hondo and Pierce.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

TP...an even better question!  and you're right, a more difficult one to answer.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'd also go with Garnett (after Russell then Bird). His stats aren't as magnificent now, but wasn't he averaging like 25 and 14 a few years ago while also dominating on defense?  He was unreal in his MVP season until he lost to the super lakers.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:16:12 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Larry, if for no other reason than I'm more positive that he could dominate at a physical level.  Russell was about the same height as Larry (maybe even a bit shorter); would he be able to dominate as much against today's centers and power forwards?  It's hard to say definitively.  I know, however, that Larry would be the same guy today as he was in 1986. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Excepting Russell and Bird, I'd have to go with Cousy, assuming he had grown up in the modern game.  As much as he was head and shoulders above everyone in his day, he'd be able to do some remarkable stuff if he'd grown up watching Magic, Isiah, Payton, and Stockton.  Obviously his athleticism wouldn't be top notch, but I picture him today as being like a better Steve Nash.  A great PG would make everyone around him better.  Havlicek would probably be a close 2nd with KG in 3rd.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Taking away those two, it's a tougher call. It comes down to three in my mind:

Bob Cousy would have been a great choice. A point guard that controls every game he played, running a transition offense to perfection.

Dave Cowens is a name that no one has brought up yet. An outstanding hustle big man who outworked Reed, Kareem, and the like and could pass well. Going by the successful Patriot standard of versatility as well, Cowens could play the 3, 4 or at times the 5 to go small and run the floor with his passing skill (mostly the three and four in the modern game, as 6'8, 230 wouldn't do much against a 7'1 320 lb Shaq).  Cowens is worth consideration.

However, without Russell and Bird, the answer for me is KG. Anyone that can inspire that defensive commitment in an entire team is the guy I want to build my team around. Match him up with a bruiser in the post (like Perk), and a point guard that can create for the team and KG will get his shots. KG makes everyone around him better defensively, because he frankly won't allow anything less in practice. He's one of the best peer motivators in Celtics history by all accounts, and the guy I'd build with if Russell and Bird were not available.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If neither Russell or Bird, it comes down to McHale or Havlicek.  Probably McHale -- the guy could have averaged 25+ points per game if he was the primary option, and he was one of the best defensive power forwards of all time.

No disrespect to Hondo, though.  He was also an elite scorer who could defend.  Generally, though, I'd go big over small.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 12:41:14 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
You need the ball(rebounds)first to be able to score,so i would start with the Big man(Russell).But if there wasn't Russell involved or Bird,McHale is my next pick.He is what,6'10"with probably a 7'4"wingspan.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:51:28 PM by housecall »

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 09:27:16 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
how awesome would it be to see bird go up against some of today's guys? i'd love to see bird REDBOUND vs. today's players. the dude was just sooo relentless getting position.