Author Topic: UEFA Champions League (2017-18)  (Read 10881 times)

UEFA Champions League (2017-18)
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:06:09 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
All in here, lots to discuss about this round's set of Group Stage fixtures.

Re: UEFA Champions League (2017-18)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:26:51 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Maybe Celtic should tank this season's Champions league. 5-0 at home is shameful.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 03:12:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
United looking good against Basel and Chelsea was insane. BUT WHERE'S ARSENAL?! ;D Yoki I know you're there
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:06:52 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:28:32 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
United looking good against Basel and Chelsea was insane. BUT WHERE'S ASRSENAL?! ;D Yoki I know you're there

What the heck is that?!  ::)

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:07:09 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
United looking good against Basel and Chelsea was insane. BUT WHERE'S ASRSENAL?! ;D Yoki I know you're there

Apologies haha, fixed it.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:18:08 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Thanks, but I'm hardly surprised that a ManUnited supporter cannot spell "Arsenal" correctly! 

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Thanks, but I'm hardly surprised that a ManUnited supporter cannot spell "Arsenal" correctly!
Apologies if you're an Arsenal fan, I was quite busy when I typed the message on my phone and an inadvertent tap caused the typo. Btw what's your fav PL team?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 07:31:29 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Apologies if you're an Arsenal fan, I was quite busy when I typed the message on my phone and an inadvertent tap caused the typo. Btw what's your fav PL team?

I support Man City, not Arsenal nor Salford United!   ;)  On a more serious note, early PL returns suggest it's City and United for the title this season, and the two derby fixtures should be crackers (with apologies to Chelsea and Spurs supporters). 

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
United looking good against Basel and Chelsea was insane. BUT WHERE'S ARSENAL?! ;D Yoki I know you're there

We beat Koln 3-1 in Europa, eat that. We really avoided the UCL to stay away from Barcelona and Bayern Munich. ;-)

I personally was rooting for Dortmund, but they wet the bed vs Tottenham. Harry Kane looked like a Balon d'Or type of player.

The rest of the matches seems like it was just going thru the ranks.

Can't wait for Sept. 27th. PSG vs Bayern Munich. That's going to be a whopper.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:47:51 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I support Man City, not Arsenal nor Salford United!   ;)  On a more serious note, early PL returns suggest it's City and United for the title this season, and the two derby fixtures should be crackers (with apologies to Chelsea and Spurs supporters).
Haha true , it's nice to see the 2nd tier manchester team be good jk
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

We beat Koln 3-1 in Europa, eat that. We really avoided the UCL to stay away from Barcelona and Bayern Munich. ;-)

I personally was rooting for Dortmund, but they wet the bed vs Tottenham. Harry Kane looked like a Balon d'Or type of player.

The rest of the matches seems like it was just going thru the ranks.

Can't wait for Sept. 27th. PSG vs Bayern Munich. That's going to be a whopper.

Yes, huge match.  Right now, Arsenal are 7+ minutes away from a draw with Chelsea. 

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
A bit harsh, don't you think? 

Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked as manager of Bayern Munich.

Following Wednesday's 3-0 Champions League defeat by Paris St-Germain, the club's board has decided to dismiss the Italian, who replaced Pep Guardiola at the start of last season.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41429526

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Following Wednesday's 3-0 Champions League defeat by Paris St-Germain, the club's board has decided to dismiss the Italian, who replaced Pep Guardiola at the start of last season.

Seemed to be a lot of complaints about him. About how he was setting up the team. About how Ancelotti's methods were not suited to German football. About how he was dealing with individual players. Failure to rotate the squad last year. Failure to develop young players (Coman, Sanches). Criticisms from the board. From the media. Former players.

Failure to bring the best out of multiple players. A lot of individuals in the team seemed unhappy. More complaints and criticisms from inside the team. From Lewandowski, Muller, Robben. Team's style of play was in decline. Not organized as well defensively. More space between the lines than in recent years.

It had been coming. Firing Ancelotti.

To be honest, I think they can do better. Ancelotti was doing a middling job there. And middling work isn't good enough for a team like Bayern. 

I can't wait to see who they hire to replace him.

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Seemed to be a lot of complaints about him. About how he was setting up the team. About how Ancelotti's methods were not suited to German football. About how he was dealing with individual players. Failure to rotate the squad last year. Failure to develop young players (Coman, Sanches). Criticisms from the board. From the media. Former players.

Failure to bring the best out of multiple players. A lot of individuals in the team seemed unhappy. More complaints and criticisms from inside the team. From Lewandowski, Muller, Robben. Team's style of play was in decline. Not organized as well defensively. More space between the lines than in recent years.

To be honest, I think they can do better. Ancelotti was doing a middling job there. And middling work isn't good enough for a team like Bayern. 

Who do you think they should go for?

Who's available? Who can they poach?

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 01:04:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Who do you think they should go for?

Who's available? Who can they poach?

No idea.

I read that Tuchel is main candidate.

They might keep Sagnol for the season and go after someone next summer. I'd say Klopp would be their main target then. They love Klopp. But I don't expect Klopp to leave Liverpool in the middle of the season for Bayern.

I thought Laurent Blanc did an excellent job at PSG. They played some of the most beautiful football in Europe under his leadership. I'd like to see him get another top job. No idea if he is in the frame or not though. Not being mentioned in articles as a possibility.

They are mentioning that young coach Nagelsmann as well. Seems like a stretch though. A top club like Bayern going for someone who is still proving himself. I heard he impressed with his tactics vs Bayern in a recent match. Recency bias maybe - in his favour. 

Favre is another one. Highly respected in Germany. Did a great job in Nice.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:11:16 PM by Who »