Author Topic: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn  (Read 14022 times)

Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn

CSN New England | Feb 13

The Celtics success without Rajon Rondo has been pretty obvious so far. But will it last into next season when Rondo returns? Will the C's work out a way to play better with him, or will he
Gary Tanguay and Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe discuss.

"My question is, is he sitting and watching and taking notes and reevaluating himself?" Ryan wondered. "We now can see, and didn't I sit here and tell you he was the selfish assist guy? He holds the ball for too long in order to get the assists, passes up shots … all which is true in my judgment. Ok, next year does he change? Or does he say, 'I'm Rajon Rondo. I was going to start in the All-Star game. I'm the best point guard in the NBA.' If he comes back with that attitude, next year is going to be a big mess. If he comes back with the appropriate team religion, they'll benefit greatly, but I'm not thinking that's going to happen."

Re: Ryan not optimistic Rondo will learn
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I've also heard rumors that Rondo is a little too stat driven. . .stopping by the scorers table, asking "how many I got?" during games.

Hopefully, he will lose that Wilt Chamberlain-esque habit if it's true and get back to being focused on Ubuntu and how to be a selfless winner. 

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:38:03 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
bob ryan has a really red face and nose, that's all I'm going to say....

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:39:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The all-bold posts are getting old.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:45:27 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
This isn't new. All Players know their stats. They see how much ESPN loves them and how that leads to more exposure, more acclaim, more money, etc.

If Rondo doesn't go after and attain assists records and triple doubles then does ESPN really talk about how great he is? If ESPN doesn't talk about his greatness is he that popular nation wide with fans? And does he get voted in to start the ALL-Star Game?

Look at Kobe. He has a couple games where he looks to get guys more involved and then the media makes a HUGE deal about it. Then you see in games where he is passing up layups and shots to get assists.

Players love hearing how great they are and will go out of the way to maintain notoriety.

I don't know if it's bad as long as you're winning. If we are winning with Rondo then who cares?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Better question might be, will Celtic fans learn to stop kicking their best player while he's down?

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Don't care...his opinion on rondo means little more than the local alcoholics.

Rondo will adjust because he wants to win...if you ask me the franchise created the "this is now rondos team" monster

There's also 3 years of evidence of proving it was the right idea versus 7 games...Ryan is simply being a prisoner of the moment

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I've also heard rumors that Rondo is a little too stat driven. . .stopping by the scorers table, asking "how many I got?" during games.

Hopefully, he will lose that Wilt Chamberlain-esque habit if it's true and get back to being focused on Ubuntu and how to be a selfless winner.

Yawn....this is naive and asinine...you think Michael Jordan didn't do that...or LeBron doesn't? He's very aware and conscious of his current streak right now! Don't let him fool you

That said I've never heard what you're claiming about rondo, but I believe he was aware like most players

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Better question might be, will Celtic fans learn to stop kicking their best player while he's down?

They're driving him out of town when he's taking over games, he's too easy of a target right now.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Two Boston sportswriters with whom it's generally smart not to disagree when it comes to the Celtics:

Bob Ryan and Jackie MacMullen.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Two Boston sportswriters with whom it's generally smart not to disagree when it comes to the Celtics:

Jackie mac said a few days ago on Comcast that Rondo gets it now. She talked to people in the c's organization and they said Rondo wants to fit in better after seeing the little win streak .

So do you believe Ryan who is just stating his opinion , or Jackie Mac who actually talked to people in the organization ?

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Bob Ryan is overrated, never really liked him.

Jackie Mac is the only Boston writer I lend any credence to.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

I'm hoping he can learn that his stats are written on the jumbotron...

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Don't care...his opinion on rondo means little more than the local alcoholics.

Yeah, opinions are like buttholes.  Everyone has one, some just stink more than others.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Jackie mac said a few days ago on Comcast that Rondo gets it now. She talked to people in the c's organization and they said Rondo wants to fit in better after seeing the little win streak .

So do you believe Ryan who is just stating his opinion , or Jackie Mac who actually talked to people in the organization ?

I believe that Jackie talked to people in the organization and that those people believe that Rondo has changed.

And I believe that Bob Ryan is sincere when he expresses his doubts.  And I think his opinion on such things is worth listening to.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain