Author Topic: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder (update: Philly as third team)  (Read 5785 times)

Re: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder (update: Philly as third team)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
saltlover, does this set a cost for taking salary at all? I think it might.

Yesterday, we were talking about the Kings absorbing Anderson's salary of 40 million over the next two years. You contended that the cost would be two 1sts. I thought one 1st might get it done.

Here, the Hawks not only got Melo and his 27 million over 1 year, but they also had to trade away talent (Schroeder, although he probably wasn't a huge plus), and they only got a lottery protected 1st in 2022. And Melo will never even play for them, unlike Anderson.

I guess I'd argue from this that the cost to deal away that much salary is still only one 1st round pick (and maybe even a protected one), especially if that player can be a useful player for the team receiving him.

The Hawks were rumored to want to get out of Schröder’s contract.  He was given his extension by the prior administration, and while he’s a useful player, mid-tier players on long money often have negative value if they’re only living up to their contract, as opposed to vastly exceeding it.  (Remember giving up a second to get rid of 2.5 years of Courtney Lee’s perfectly reasonable deal a few years ago?)

The Hawks got a decently protected 1st for $9 million of cap space this year and moving long-term money that probably had about neutral trade value.  I stand by my valuation of cap space.

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 05:54:33 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Renting out cap space kind of went away the last few years but it's back in a big way. The whole $27 mil? and he gets to keep it all? lol

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
OKC got a pretty good team this year..added some good bench players like Noel and Schroder
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 06:12:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I am excited for OKC's team. Seems pretty fun.

Re: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Assuming that they move Muscala, as has been reported they quickly will, I have the Thunder lowering their tax bill from $147 million to $80 million.  Combined with the payroll savings, that is around $80 million saved for a 1st and whatever it takes to move Muscala.  Decent work by Presti, but still with an $80 million tax bill.  Singler will assuredly be stretched, which will save them another $20 million in taxes this year, but they’re also on pace to be $20 million over the tax again next summer with the acquisition of Schroeder.

I guess they lowered it to ~$86M with them taking back TLC. So if they stretch Singler, that lowers it to around $67M for only 13 players.

Even scarier, they are already $2.2M over the tax for the 6 guaranteed contracts the following season! If everyone opts in to team/player options, they are looking at a $43M tax bill for just 10 players. For a non-contender. Crazy.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Can’t see Schroeder staying in OKC. Bad fit with Westbrook, and he isn’t going to want to play 6th man. Good move for OKC to ditch Melos contract though.

Yeah, it's like Oladipo, all over again.

Maybe Schroeder will become all pro after he leaves the Thunder.

Doubt it.

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
why? All they did was add that terrible guard schroader, and TLC who was not a good player either

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 06:38:38 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
why? All they did was add that terrible guard schroader, and TLC who was not a good player either

Ha yeah, I don’t see them as much different than last year. Which may have been entertaining enough, but a pretty lackluster team when all is said and done. The good thing they did was cut down the tax bill AND lose Melo, who is always addition by subtraction.

Bottom seed playoff team and first round exit.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 06:52:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Ha yeah, I don’t see them as much different than last year. Which may have been entertaining enough, but a pretty lackluster team when all is said and done. The good thing they did was cut down the tax bill AND lose Melo, who is always addition by subtraction.

I like the Noel pickup a lot at the minimum. I think Schroeder is a very good scoring guard off the bench can play 2-3 minutes with westbrook and the rest when westbrook rests. I think Melo is a huge addition by subtraction. I think they will definitely get out of the first round this year.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 06:56:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I like the Noel pickup a lot at the minimum. I think Schroeder is a very good scoring guard off the bench can play 2-3 minutes with westbrook and the rest when westbrook rests. I think Melo is a huge addition by subtraction. I think they will definitely get out of the first round this year.

Yeah. The Thunder are gong to score in only one way -- reliant on Westbrook. That really won't change with the players around him much.

Defensively, though, they are scarry. They could run a team of Noel-Grant-Roberson-George-Westbrook. Adams is a really good defender too (and obviously their starter).

Then you add in Schroeder, who, while he is a poor defender, has a massive wingspan that could add to the perimeter defense.

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Okc gm sb fired. Careless spender

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
OKC did well in shedding Melo's contract and acquiring an asset with value in Shroder, but I dont see him working in OKC at all.  I lived near Atlanta when he played with Teague and it was rumored that he was a malcontent and believed he should start well before he had earned it.  Then in 2015 he threatened to leave if the Hawks wouldn't commit to him as their long term starter.  Playing behind Westbrook is about the worst situation I can imagine for him, and I doubt they can play together.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/jeff-teague-says-there-was-a-tug-of-war-with-dennis-schroder-in-atlanta/amp/
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So did the Hawks just became Knicks 2013?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read he'll get waived.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Assuming that they move Muscala, as has been reported they quickly will, I have the Thunder lowering their tax bill from $147 million to $80 million.  Combined with the payroll savings, that is around $80 million saved for a 1st and whatever it takes to move Muscala.  Decent work by Presti, but still with an $80 million tax bill.  Singler will assuredly be stretched, which will save them another $20 million in taxes this year, but they’re also on pace to be $20 million over the tax again next summer with the acquisition of Schroeder.

I guess they lowered it to ~$86M with them taking back TLC. So if they stretch Singler, that lowers it to around $67M for only 13 players.

Even scarier, they are already $2.2M over the tax for the 6 guaranteed contracts the following season! If everyone opts in to team/player options, they are looking at a $43M tax bill for just 10 players. For a non-contender. Crazy.

And in two years they’d be only $7 million below the tax line with just 6 players.

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 07:47:05 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

And in two years they’d be only $7 million below the tax line with just 6 players.

Things could go downhill quick, but if I were an OKC fan, I'd definitely be excited about their potential. Not only do they provide a difficult matchup for anyone (including GSW), but they are set up well to make a trade for a 3rd banana (probably not in the running for the elite guys like Davis, but more like the second tier malcontent stars).

Also, I think teams are starting to ready themselves for the Warriors inevitable decline due to age (Green), injuries (Curry already showing signs?), and/or free agency (Durant to NY?).