Author Topic: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder (update: Philly as third team)  (Read 5776 times)

Re: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder (update: Philly as third team)
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Melo's best option for individual and team success (if they're interested). He'd be the 2nd option on offense, have AD to cover for his defensive weaknesses, and they'd make the playoffs. Miami also have that situation except he could be the 1st option, but that team would be hard pressed to make the 2nd round.

There are other teams that he could join that offer good fit, but if he didn't enjoy his role in OKC's offense, he's going to be disappointed on most other winning team.

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 09:15:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I bet Melo goes to the Lakers and Lebron gets part of his banana boat crew.

Re: Carmelo traded to ATL for Schroder
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Assuming that they move Muscala, as has been reported they quickly will, I have the Thunder lowering their tax bill from $147 million to $80 million.  Combined with the payroll savings, that is around $80 million saved for a 1st and whatever it takes to move Muscala.  Decent work by Presti, but still with an $80 million tax bill.  Singler will assuredly be stretched, which will save them another $20 million in taxes this year, but they’re also on pace to be $20 million over the tax again next summer with the acquisition of Schroeder.

I guess they lowered it to ~$86M with them taking back TLC. So if they stretch Singler, that lowers it to around $67M for only 13 players.

Even scarier, they are already $2.2M over the tax for the 6 guaranteed contracts the following season! If everyone opts in to team/player options, they are looking at a $43M tax bill for just 10 players. For a non-contender. Crazy.
I wouldn't call them a noncontender as they could legitimately be the 2nd best team in the West
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 08:12:23 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This is very possible because Melo has never been about winning. It has always been about how good he looks. If he was about winning he would join the Rockets.

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Assuming that they move Muscala, as has been reported they quickly will, I have the Thunder lowering their tax bill from $147 million to $80 million.  Combined with the payroll savings, that is around $80 million saved for a 1st and whatever it takes to move Muscala.  Decent work by Presti, but still with an $80 million tax bill.  Singler will assuredly be stretched, which will save them another $20 million in taxes this year, but they’re also on pace to be $20 million over the tax again next summer with the acquisition of Schroeder.

I guess they lowered it to ~$86M with them taking back TLC. So if they stretch Singler, that lowers it to around $67M for only 13 players.

Even scarier, they are already $2.2M over the tax for the 6 guaranteed contracts the following season! If everyone opts in to team/player options, they are looking at a $43M tax bill for just 10 players. For a non-contender. Crazy.
I wouldn't call them a noncontender as they could legitimately be the 2nd best team in the West

They’re more likely to miss the playoffs than be #2 in the West.

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Melo is addition by subtraction.  I'd expect good things for the Thunder this season.

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2018, 09:20:44 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Definitely this. I like their moves this summer, but OKC won't even sniff at 2nd seed.

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2018, 09:22:20 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This is very possible because Melo has never been about winning. It has always been about how good he looks. If he was about winning he would join the Rockets.

Hi Hodgy,

not sure what you mean here. Melo wanted to join the Rockets last year, but it was impossible due to their salary situation. He will most likely join them this year tho.

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

This is just silly.  They were the 4th seed last year and should be a much better team this year.  They get rid of Anthony who was dragging them down and get a much deeper overall bench.  They also will at some point get Roberson back (though obviously his health will be a concern). 

This team is not missing the playoffs (unless RW or PG miss extensive time).  they have 1 open spot, let's say they bring Brewer back to fill the 3 and D role.

PG - Westbrook, Schroder, Felton
SG - Roberson, Abrines, Ferguson, Luwawu-Cabarrot
SF - George, Brewer, Singler
PF - Grant, Patterson
C - Adams, Noel, Johnson

That should be one of the best defensive teams in the league.  They also have 2 excellent scorers and won't have many of the bench depth issues that plagued them last year.  Assuming Russ and PG3 stay healthy, the Thunder should be a 50 win team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip