Author Topic: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin  (Read 11739 times)

Re: Bucks Fire Adrian Griffin
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2024, 05:41:51 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Bucks were dumb(like we were) to make their team and on the job training program, but smart to realize it's not working.
W/L record doesn't mean a whole lot on this league given you can stack wins on the backs of garbage teams.
'
I wonder if Dame is going to start making noises to leave in the offseason given the turmoil.

Lillard got what he wanted, by all accounts. Imagine wanting to leave because you’ve been catered to.

I suspect that Milwaukee’s coaching change has nothing to do with their record, but not for the reasons that you have posited.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2024, 05:41:55 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Why bother hiring another coach? Obviously the players are in charge.

I'd be livid if I'm Adrian Griffin. The team swaps Holiday for Lillard and guess what happens... the offense gets better and the defense gets worse. Their winning percentage is exactly the same.  Point differential the same. Every single player is performing pretty much the same, except Lillard is getting 3 less FGA than he did in Portland. Middleton, Lopez, Portis... same guys doing the same things.

Breaking news, Lillard played his entire career with a green light in Portland and there is some adjustment 40 games in to all new teammates, all new system, and being the 2nd fiddle to Giannis.

You couldn't script an outcome that was more *exactly* as expected. For that, you fire the coach at midseason. Just save some bucks and have Lillard/Giannis share the role.

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2024, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

I'd be livid if I'm Adrian Griffin. The team swaps Holiday for Lillard and guess what happens... the offense gets better and the defense gets worse. Their winning percentage is exactly the same.  Point differential the same. Every single player is performing pretty much the same, except Lillard is getting 3 less FGA than he did in Portland. Middleton, Lopez, Portis... same guys doing the same things.

Breaking news, Lillard played his entire career with a green light in Portland and there is some adjustment 40 games in to all new teammates, all new system, and being the 2nd fiddle to Giannis.

You couldn't script an outcome that was more *exactly* as expected. For that, you fire the coach at midseason. Just save some bucks and have Lillard/Giannis share the role.

Ding, Ding, Ding!
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2024, 06:15:47 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
As others have expressed, this seems weird when viewed from the outside. Must be something internal that just wasn't working. Surprising, though (and rare, I think?), to see a team doing that well dump its coach midseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2024, 06:30:32 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Thought the same. Feels like Dame is just struggling with a new role and playing with actual stars/other high usage players, rather than the Dame-centric philosophy he’s so used to.

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2024, 06:39:19 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Thought the same. Feels like Dame is just struggling with a new role and playing with actual stars/other high usage players, rather than the Dame-centric philosophy he’s so used to.

Yes, but this would have never happened without Giannis's green light. Remember when he checked himself back into a game against the Celtics?

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2024, 06:40:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Lol do the Bucks actually think Doc Rivers is gonna save them?

Their defense is hot garbage and the Lillard trade has done nothing to really help them. Giannis is gonna be out of there in a year or two, just wait.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2024, 07:01:35 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Yes, but this would have never happened without Giannis's green light. Remember when he checked himself back into a game against the Celtics?

I get the feeling that Giannis is turning into Lebron 2.0. He got Bud fired, got a second star as he demanded (to the detriment of the team’s defense), and now all the blame goes to the coach, which seems incredulous considering their record. I mean weren’t they rejoicing when they clobbered us a week ago? This team may have major internal problems.

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2024, 07:15:56 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2024, 07:17:39 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

I get the feeling that Giannis is turning into Lebron 2.0. He got Bud fired, got a second star as he demanded (to the detriment of the team’s defense), and now all the blame goes to the coach, which seems incredulous considering their record. I mean weren’t they rejoicing when they clobbered us a week ago? This team may have major internal problems.

I lost all respect for Giannis. Guy is like a primadonna in his own way. First he says he wants to win with only one team, and then he threatens to jump ship if things don't work out. Just don't promise things that you're not gonna follow through. And Giannis is only good because the refs allow him to be (i.e. charging at our guys, breathing on him, etc)

Jokic is the way to go now.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2024, 07:19:32 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2024, 07:19:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2024, 07:27:19 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Didn’t Giannis and Griffin have a public on court spat earlier this season that they tried to brush under the rug??
Greg

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2024, 07:35:49 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I think Terry Stotts returns to Milwaukee as their new head coach.

Apparently Stotts only resigned because he was ‘butting heads’ with Adrian Griffin.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 07:41:45 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2024, 08:10:29 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I never understood why a team competing for a title would go for a young unproven coach.  Feel bad for Griffin, but that was always a weird hire to me.

The Mazzulla Precedent  :angel:

you stole my line!!! haha

Great minds think alike  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D