Author Topic: Kahn strikes again: Darko to MIN  (Read 4717 times)

Re: Kahn strikes again: Darko to MIN
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I wonder if this means Big Al is on the move.

What does this have to do with Al?

Well, they have another big man now.  Seems like a silly move (both contracts are expiring) unless it's a prelude to something else.

They traded another big man, to get one, so in that regard nothing changed. Plus, both Big Al and Kevin Love are at their best playing as PF's, so exchanging Brian Cardinal for a better player in Darko who is center is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 07:45:12 PM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sincerely doubt they are moving Big Al. 

Don't worry, they won't send him back for Ray, or Scals & Uno Uno
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 07:49:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Sincerely doubt they are moving Big Al. 

Don't worry, they won't send him back for Ray, or Scals & Uno Uno

I doubt they're moving him just because it would be hard to get equal value, i.e. the young top-level wing scorer that they so desperately need (like the guys we want to trade Ray for).

Darko Milicic traded to T-Wolves
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Apparently the Wolves think they can get something out of Darko, and convince him to stay after this season if he works out. I don't see why they do this otherwise.

Quote from: ESPN
The New York Knicks traded Darko Milicic to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Brian Cardinal on Wednesday.

The Timberwolves also received cash considerations in the deal that was completed Wednesday night.

The trade will save the Knicks $1.8 million and give the Wolves a center to audition for the rest of the season. Milicic has been mired at the end of Mike D'Antoni's bench for months and has publicly said he's likely to return to Europe to play basketball when his contract expires this summer.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Darko Milicic traded to T-Wolves
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Apparently the Wolves think they can get something out of Darko, and convince him to stay after this season if he works out. I don't see why they do this otherwise.

Quote from: ESPN
The New York Knicks traded Darko Milicic to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Brian Cardinal on Wednesday.

The Timberwolves also received cash considerations in the deal that was completed Wednesday night.

The trade will save the Knicks $1.8 million and give the Wolves a center to audition for the rest of the season. Milicic has been mired at the end of Mike D'Antoni's bench for months and has publicly said he's likely to return to Europe to play basketball when his contract expires this summer.

This whole NBA experiment for Darko has been kind of a disaster. He has been on the end of NBA benches for a while now. If he really did have all of this potential, it's too bad no one really ever tried to get it out of him- especially after he got that decent contract...now did anyone actually think Cardinal was going to be good?

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »

Offline slamdunk

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
  • I'mPossible
I'm guessing the Knicks did this deal so the Nate/House deal will work cap-wise?

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
I'm guessing the Knicks did this deal so the Nate/House deal will work cap-wise?

Seems like it.  Do the Giddens/House deal with this deal tied in and it works. 

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Kahn is playing checkers while the rest of the league is playing chess!

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 11:18:42 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Darko has tons of untapped potential, but expectations were too high after going #2 in the draft.  He's a good passer and shooter, high-post guy, and defender, so he should be a perfect fit for the triangle offense, and should probably start next to KLove or Al (which is the problem...which one?).

Any chance we get in on this with the Nate/House trade?

Here's one that works on ESPN's trade machine:

BOS:  Nate, Gomes
NYK:  House, Giddens(cut), Cardinal (and BOS 2nd round pick)
MIN:  Darko, Scal (and BOS 1st round pick)

I'm not sure how picks work for salary in trades, but I'd swap a late 1st rounder for Gomes and Scal's expiring.  He'd be a decent big 3/small 4 off the bench, and the last 2 years of his deal are only partially guaranteed.  Minny could get more for him, but I'm hoping they see him as a too-expensive backup on their squad.

so you're ok with getting Gomes and Nate for 3 expiring deals, a low-20's first round pick and a 2nd round pick?

No thanks.  Way to much payment for a 3-month rental of a backup Pg and a short PF/Slow SF.  I like Gomes and Robinson is probably an upgrade over House but that's a lot to give up fo them.