Author Topic: Jerry Reinsdorf: Bulls have a good shot to win "at least four championships"  (Read 5798 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
"If you don't see something special in Derrick Rose, then you're blind," Reinsdorf told the Chicago Sun-Times. "We have an outstanding coach, an outstanding bunch of players, the team is deep, and if we stay healthy we have an awfully good chance of winning at least four championships."

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6196843

I just don't understand why people put expectations like this on their team.  If he wanted to say one championship, fine, that's always the goal.  But why specifically say "four"?  That makes it seem like two titles is somehow a failure.  It's just senseless hyperbole that serves no purpose.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Maybe he was talking about Central Division championships.   ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
My goodness, after the Heat win seven in a row and the Bulls win four in a row, you think we'll have a shot at some point in the future?

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Well, he has never been part of an NBA team that one just one. 

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
He didn't say they would win four, he is essentially saying they have a four-year window with their current nucleus...which I believe is absolutely correct.  That team will be NASTY if they can get their hands on a 2-guard

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
He didn't say they would win four, he is essentially saying they have a four-year window with their current nucleus...which I believe is absolutely correct.  That team will be NASTY if they can get their hands on a 2-guard

we have an awfully good chance of winning at least four championships.

Looks like he it talking number of trophies, not number of years of contention. 

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The best part is the "at least". So what he's saying is at worst they'll win four championships. I think a lot of people are overrating Derrick Rose. Anyone remember that guy Steve Francis?

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The best part is the "at least". So what he's saying is at worst they'll win four championships. I think a lot of people are overrating Derrick Rose. Anyone remember that guy Steve Francis?

He is better then Franchise. 

Franchise never lead a team to being as good as the Bulls are now. 

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
they do, what is the problem?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline kgiessler

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 96

we have an awfully good chance of winning at least four championships.

Looks like he it talking number of trophies, not number of years of contention. 

I'm interpreting it the same way Marcus did. 

I think if he had included the word 'different' and added 'at' again it would be much clearer.

We have an awfully good chance of winning at 'at' least four 'different' championships.

The same way the Celtics had an awfully good chance of winning at least four championships.  They didn't; but they had an awfully good chance at all of them.

I agree that his wording is not proper, but like I said, for some reason I also interpreted it to mean that too.  Maybe it's a type of slang or something.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain and most fools do."¯ - Franklin

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They might have a good shot to win a title in each of the next 4-6 years, but I wouldn't say they have much of a shot at winning at least 4 titles in the near future.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They have a nice young core.  But your right that is a statement that sets the bar high and adds pressure.   I don't think it helps them in anyway.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

That team needs to focus on the season in front of them and not be filled with dreams of 4 titles. 

One at a time. 

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
They do but stuff happens. Personally I think no KG injury in 09 we're going for banner 20 this year.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

They might have a good shot to win a title in each of the next 4-6 years, but I wouldn't say they have much of a shot at winning at least 4 titles in the near future.

Exactly. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes