Author Topic: League's Most Clutch Player  (Read 5099 times)

League's Most Clutch Player
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:48:06 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
obviously, this award doesn't go to Lebron, and numerous articles have popped up this season that debunk Kobe's alleged clutchness (despite him garnering most votes by GM's to take the final shot of the game).

i'm wondering who u guys think is the most clutch in the league this season? It's a hard stat to measure so there really can't be too many wrong answers and there will be a ton of right answers. For me, it's gotta be Ray Allen. bias aside, Ray-ray always seems to come up with the big 3-pointer just when we need it most, and plus, his FT's at the end of games are money.
- LilRip

Re: League's Most Clutch Player
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't know the numbers, but I know Dirk is pretty darn clutch.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:51:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Dirk Nowitzki

Edit: Chris Paul is incredible in the fourth quarter too. However, I think his game is easier to disrupt than Dirk's. His impact drops off when he plays against teams with elite size/length and good shot-blocking at the four and five positions or when teams who have a top wing defender with elite quickness (like Nic Batum or T.Ariza or C.Brewer) switches onto Paul.

When Paul has a straight matchup against a PG and against normal sized or small frontlines, he is absolutely irresistible down the stretch of close games. Best in the business.

I think Dirk though creates more of a matchup problem with his size, quickness and shooting ability. Too big for most forwards to check him and too quick + skilled for most centers to cover him. I think it's a lot harder (still possible, just harder) for team's to adversely effect his game ... which is why I'd go with Dirk as my #1 guy in the clutch (offensively anyway).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:00:17 AM by Who »

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:55:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Here's a statistical look at it:

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

In terms of individual numbers, I'd probably go with Amare, but his team gets outscored in "clutch" situations. 

All things considered, I'd probably say Dirk, despite his low 3PT% and high number of turnovers.  Durant rates highly, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:04:02 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
obviously, this award doesn't go to Lebron, and numerous articles have popped up this season that debunk Kobe's alleged clutchness (despite him garnering most votes by GM's to take the final shot of the game).

i'm wondering who u guys think is the most clutch in the league this season? It's a hard stat to measure so there really can't be too many wrong answers and there will be a ton of right answers. For me, it's gotta be Ray Allen. bias aside, Ray-ray always seems to come up with the big 3-pointer just when we need it most, and plus, his FT's at the end of games are money.

Two words : Paul Pierce
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:28:40 AM by OsirusCeltics »

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:10:11 AM »

Offline IrishGreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
It's actually refreshing looking at the clutch situation stats that we haven't needed to deliver late in games. Only one stands out to me and I think it was against the Bobcats where they made a late 4th quarter push and took the lead. Doc drew up an inbounds play and Rondo over alley-oop'ed to KG.

Other than that, Paul Pierce against the Knicks was year, was awesome. When he gets to 'his' spot, he's unstoppable.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »

Offline droponov

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Chris Paul/David West.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »

Offline KobeShesNotConsenting!

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 132
Jalen Rose's list:
Kobe Bryant
Paul Pierce
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Dirk Nowitski

Skip Bayless list:
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Paul Pierce
Carmelo Anthony
Manu Ginobli

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I was going to post the sortable 82games.com list but Roy beat me to it.

when you look at that list i think you have to take field goal% into consideration as well.

In "Clutch" situations Ray Allen is shooting 51% from deep, while other players may have higher percentages they aren't putting up those numbers on as many shots. Based on the stats I'd go with an "All-Clutch" team of:

PG: Billups
SG: R. Allen
SF: Durant
PF: Nowitzki
 C: Duncan

But if i had to pick just one guy to let isolate and win the game... It'd be Kobe, Pierce, or Carmelo.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Can't believe anyone puts Dirk at the top of any list.

I don't care about any stats at all. Fact is when it matters most, Dirk has not and does not come rhrough in the playoffs.

They lost to the warriors that year. He's a great player but for some reason when the defense is turnes up to the highest level, he is not the guy I want to close out games.

Stat geeks say Kobe is not that good in the clutch which is nonsense. And they also say that Lebron is as good as anyone else in the clutch, again not true IMO.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Here's a statistical look at it:

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

In terms of individual numbers, I'd probably go with Amare, but his team gets outscored in "clutch" situations. 

All things considered, I'd probably say Dirk, despite his low 3PT% and high number of turnovers.  Durant rates highly, too.

Just doing quick estimates from that page, Rose might be the least efficient scorer in terms of points per possession in the top 30 scorers, although he does have a fair amount of assists as well as points.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
For what it's worth, last night I wrote a Fanpost on the main page that looks at the main 4 Celtics in clutch situatons over the last 4 years and this year.  http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/3/9/2039070/clutch-celtics-the-big-4-in-crunch-time

I started to make a message board post about it, but it seems related enough to this topic that instead I'll just throw the link in here.

I'm exploring the idea that unlike the Heat, for example, the Celtics' crunch-time offense isn't just to throw the ball to 1 or 2 players and let them score.  Instead, the Cs have 3 - 4 strong crunch options and they continue to fill the same basic roles in crunch time that they do in normal situations.  As such, the Cs won't have any 1 player that dominates these clutch stats, but instead they have a clutch TEAM, made up of multiple specialized clutch parts.  On the whole, it seems to be working for them.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I remember reading a while back that Carmelo has the best clutch percentage this year.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:41:54 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
For what it's worth, last night I wrote a Fanpost on the main page that looks at the main 4 Celtics in clutch situatons over the last 4 years and this year.  http://www.celticsblog.com/2011/3/9/2039070/clutch-celtics-the-big-4-in-crunch-time

I started to make a message board post about it, but it seems related enough to this topic that instead I'll just throw the link in here.

I'm exploring the idea that unlike the Heat, for example, the Celtics' crunch-time offense isn't just to throw the ball to 1 or 2 players and let them score.  Instead, the Cs have 3 - 4 strong crunch options and they continue to fill the same basic roles in crunch time that they do in normal situations.  As such, the Cs won't have any 1 player that dominates these clutch stats, but instead they have a clutch TEAM, made up of multiple specialized clutch parts.  On the whole, it seems to be working for them.

I'd also like to add Jeff Green's 2011 Clutch statistics.

PTS     FGM     FGA   3's   FG%    FTM     FTA     FT%    REB   AST   TOS   BLK
18.2    5.5        12     1.6     .459    5.6         6.2     89%    7.8    1.0       0.3       0.6

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187

I'd also like to add Jeff Green's 2011 Clutch statistics.

PTS     FGM     FGA   3's   FG%    FTM     FTA     FT%    REB   AST   TOS   BLK
18.2    5.5        12     1.6     .459    5.6         6.2     89%    7.8    1.0       0.3       0.6

Good call, as it appears that Green is destined to be out there in crunch time quite a bit moving forward.