Author Topic: Is Erik Spoelstra about to get fired?  (Read 13151 times)

Is Erik Spoelstra about to get fired?
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I am not blaming him for the Heat's troubles, but someone has to get the blame, and it won't be Lebron or Wade.  Seems like Riles has to shake things up by stepping in. I feel that Erik is about to get the pink slip. Only thing that could be stopping Pat is knowing this team, as constituted, has no shot to win it all.

Re: Is Erik Spoelstra about to get fired?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I am not blaming him for the Heat's troubles, but someone has to get the blame, and it won't be Lebron or Wade.  Seems like Riles has to shake things up by stepping in. I feel that Erik is about to get the pink slip. Only thing that could be stopping Pat is knowing this team, as constituted, has no shot to win it all.

There's a lot of that talk going around this morning ... people are not at all impressed with the "Players are crying in the locker-room" statement. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing, but when a team like this is struggling, he's the likely first head to roll.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Spoelstra might think so.  What other possible justification can he have for telling reporters that his players are "crying" in the locker room?  What possible good comes from that?  The media and fans are now mocking the manhood of the Heat players, and this is in large part due to inside information given by the coach.

The only thing I can think of is that Spoelstra knows he's on his way out, and is preemptively saying "It's not my fault, these guys are a bunch of mentally weak pansies".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There's a lot of that talk going around this morning ... people are not at all impressed with the "Players are crying in the locker-room" statement. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing, but when a team like this is struggling, he's the likely first head to roll.

Ah, interesting.  I haven't read / seen anything on that, but see my post above.  I thought it was a weird thing for a coach to say.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:12:39 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I think Spoelstra might think so.  What other possible justification can he have for telling reporters that his players are "crying" in the locker room?  What possible good comes from that?  The media and fans are now mocking the manhood of the Heat players, and this is in large part due to inside information given by the coach.

The only thing I can think of is that Spoelstra knows he's on his way out, and is preemptively saying "It's not my fault, these guys are a bunch of mentally weak pansies".

interesting theory - I guess anything is possible at this point

just unfathomable thinking of Doc doing something like that

coaching matters - we're lucky to have Doc
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Ah, interesting.  I haven't read / seen anything on that, but see my post above.  I thought it was a weird thing for a coach to say.

I was thinking the same thing.

The last thing that team needs is something else for the media to latch on to. Either poor damage control, heat of the moment slip of the tongue, or...what you said...he knows his days are numbered.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yup, you pretty much nailed it ... it was one of the main topics on "Mike & Mike" and a big topic on a number of other sports shows this morning. Not really that people minded players crying over a loss, but just why a coach would say that kind of thing to the general public, as it can reflect very negatively on the players in our very macho, testosterone-driven sports world.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It would take a lot more to get him fired right now, since it would do no good, and Riley will want to really pick his replacement carefully.  But unless they win a championship, I think he is gone in the offseason...and will be happy about it.  This was a no-win situation for him from the beginning, and the earlier he can get out, the less damage it will do to him longterm.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think Spoelstra might think so.  What other possible justification can he have for telling reporters that his players are "crying" in the locker room?  What possible good comes from that?  The media and fans are now mocking the manhood of the Heat players, and this is in large part due to inside information given by the coach.

I'd chalk it up more to a young coach who's never been under anything close to this kind of media spotlight.  It seemed like he was trying to defend the players against an accusation that nobody was really making - that they didn't care about the losses - and stuck his foot in his mouth.  Pretty defensive, and may show that he's insecure about the job he's doing, but I don't think it means he knows he's getting fired soon.

That said I think Spoelstra will be gone this offseason, barring a title this year.  But firing him now would change the current vibe around this team from "major skid" to "the Titanic has hit the iceberg".  I think Riley will be a little more patient with 5 more years on everybody's deals.

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Yup, you pretty much nailed it ... it was one of the main topics on "Mike & Mike" and a big topic on a number of other sports shows this morning. Not really that people minded players crying over a loss, but just why a coach would say that kind of thing to the general public, as it can reflect very negatively on the players in our very macho, testosterone-driven sports world.

Ive already exchanged several mocking text messages with friends on the topic. Is it a little mean? Yes.

Can I help it? No

Thanks Spo...

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:21:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It would take a lot more to get him fired right now, since it would do no good, and Riley will want to really pick his replacement carefully.  But unless they win a championship, I think he is gone in the offseason...and will be happy about it.  This was a no-win situation for him from the beginning, and the earlier he can get out, the less damage it will do to him longterm.

I think pretty much the whole world assumes that Riley already has Spoelstra's replacement in mind, and that replacement's initials are "P.R."  However, I think you may be right not to buy that assumption, because I'm not sure that Reilly thinks this team is good enough to win yet, and he doesn't want to do the heavy lifting required.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 12:25:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think pretty much the whole world assumes that Riley already has Spoelstra's replacement in mind, and that replacement's initials are "P.R."  However, I think you may be right not to buy that assumption, because I'm not sure that Reilly thinks this team is good enough to win yet, and he doesn't want to do the heavy lifting required.

I'm less convinced Riley wants to coach anymore, but even if he does, I am sure he has no interest in taking over this sinking ship right now.  He could do it in the offseason, but right now, its a suicide mission to take it over.

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 12:27:11 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
How many people here could possibly be Lebron's coach and not want to strangle him?

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
As soon as this team was formed, it was obvious Spoelstra was in a no-win situation. If they won 75 games, he would get no credit, it was simply the greatest team ever assembled. And if they struggled, he would be the first blamed.

But at this point, they really can't make a coaching change. I personally don't think Riley wants any part of coaching them (atleast not this season), because if they lose, he will then have nobody to blame but himself.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The only way I think it happen mid season is if Riley thinks he knows what the magic button for this team is.

I think Spoelstra needs to go.  There is to much confusion on rolls right now, this deep into the season. 

They need someone with real NBA clout behind him for these guys to adjust.