Author Topic: Was Robert Williams recovery/rehab in anyway productive?  (Read 2974 times)

Was Robert Williams recovery/rehab in anyway productive?
« on: February 11, 2020, 06:03:15 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Was he in the weight room. Did he work on shooting, ball handling or foul shooting ?
Was recovery also a rehab and how long has he been able workout NON CONTACT.
Saw a quick clip he was moving real good.
Looked quick and full of desire.

Re: Was Robert Williams recovery/rehab in anyway productive?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 07:15:47 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
What's the news anyway? When can we expect him back?

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 07:19:30 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
What's the news anyway? When can we expect him back?

The reports I read said after the break.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:57:05 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Was he in the weight room. Did he work on shooting, ball handling or foul shooting ?

Do you have a date on that video? A link perhaps?  Wouldn't recording of workout be prohibited until the guy is close to 100%?

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Do you have a date on that video? A link perhaps?  Wouldn't recording of workout be prohibited until the guy is close to 100%?

I think he is close, they might be using the break to give him more time.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:57:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I had heard he's been working out lately and the original target time for his return was early March.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him held back until then since the team is making due without him.  that could change if Theis or Kanter go down with injury for awhile.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 09:04:18 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I had heard he's been working out lately and the original target time for his return was early March.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him held back until then since the team is making due without him.  that could change if Theis or Kanter go down with injury for awhile.

Danny pretty much confirmed this last week on his Toucher and Rich interview.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 09:05:25 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

Make sense, I guess the reports indicating "after the all star break" didnt mention how immediately after the break is it after. My mind just immediately assumed right after the break. Thinking about it, I read a tweet that he just finished his first full contact workout, so Maybe 3 weeks?

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I hope he comes back hungry. We could use an injection of fiery play. It would be great if he could take a leap forward at the end of the season just because he is so ready to play.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
For the first 6 weeks or so, he was not allowed to do any physical exercise, as they wanted to make sure the hip endema fully healed. Only recently has he been able to resume exercising.  I expect a fair amount of rust from Rob, but am hopefully the last 6 weeks or so of the season will be enough time for him to shake it off.  It's too bad he missed all these game, nothing like playing in games to improve and fix your mistakes and bad tendencies. Has done a world of good for G Willams.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Danny pretty much confirmed this last week on his Toucher and Rich interview.
right, that was the source the reporter had mentioned

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 11:56:31 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Would someone mind clarifying this for me (ignorant when it comes to science generally and anatomy specifically):

Is Robert Williams' hip edema essentially a sign that he has (or will have) osteoporosis? And if so, how does that possibly get better?

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He's been resting and rehabing, no basketball or physical activity beyond strict limits according to the rehab schedule

He referred to "jump limits". They had him limited to "20 jumps in a day" per his own description.

All such restrictions are now lifted. He was jumping around in OKC during warm ups just dunking it and enjoying being allowed to be an athlete. Was apparently running around screaming after the win too.

He looked really good physically in warm ups too I was in the arena. I'm sure he has a ton of rust in basketball terms though and that will take a while to shake off.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 04:23:00 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Would someone mind clarifying this for me (ignorant when it comes to science generally and anatomy specifically):

Is Robert Williams' hip edema essentially a sign that he has (or will have) osteoporosis? And if so, how does that possibly get better?

He has what is known as transient osteoporosis. The condition is not common, and poorly understood. The edema Is actually inside the bone. Whether it should be called edema or not is actually a good question.

What can be expected in the future is hard to gauge, but there does seem to be some risk of the injury recurring, even of it recurring in the other femur, or the other end of the bone! Weird.

I cannot find any indication that there is an increased risk factor of the usual sort of osteoporosis later in life - but this condition is not well understood.

It tends to heal spontaneously; in other words it is not ‘progressive degenerative’.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021