Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2023  (Read 130777 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2023
« Reply #2850 on: June 14, 2023, 12:49:50 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Looks like of that top 10 draft class in 2016, Jamal Murray was the first to win a ring. Did Danny Ainge missed on him, or did he make the right choice with Jaylen Brown?

I’d rather have Murray. He put it into another gear during the postseason and can perform under pressure. Jaylen crumbles.

How fast we have forgotten.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/jaylen-brown-nba-finals-stats

« Reply #2851 on: June 14, 2023, 09:51:06 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Looks like of that top 10 draft class in 2016, Jamal Murray was the first to win a ring. Did Danny Ainge missed on him, or did he make the right choice with Jaylen Brown?

I’d rather have Murray. He put it into another gear during the postseason and can perform under pressure. Jaylen crumbles.

Nope, didn't forget about the inefficient shooting, 43% from the field and 34% from 3pt or all the turnovers. 23ppg on 19 shot attempts is not good... FT shooting was under 70%, also not good. JB averaged the same amount of assists as he did turnovers.

Now lets compare that to what Murray did in the Finals: Averaged 26/6/7 while shooting 47% from the field, 40% from 3pt and 92% from the line. Only 2.5 turnovers to 7 assists. He also made a lot of clutch shots, while JB on the other hand folded under the pressure, especially at the line.

Apparently you didn't watch too much of the Finals.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 10:36:43 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2852 on: June 14, 2023, 11:51:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I was very impressed with J Murray's defense in the playoffs. It was much better than it was earlier in his career. Especially some of the help defense he provided dropping into the paint to cut off drives. His positioning and hands were excellent. He also did very well on switches particularly in covering Jimmy Butler. That big PG size working well for him on switches.

« Reply #2853 on: June 14, 2023, 02:29:18 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Did anyone else find these playoffs to be incredibly disappointing and boring?

I built it up in my head this year that 2023 would be an epic playoff year because of how deep the talent pool is and how close in talent I perceived the teams to be.

Oh, well. At least the dark ages of 2015-18 are long gone where we were subjected to GSW vs CLE year after year..

« Reply #2854 on: June 14, 2023, 02:32:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

I built it up in my head this year that 2023 would be an epic playoff year because of how deep the talent pool is and how close in talent I perceived the teams to be.

Oh, well. At least the dark ages of 2015-18 are long gone where we were subjected to GSW vs CLE year after year..

I thought the Finals just lacked buzz. Sorry but Denver vs. Miami isn't really a marquee matchup in terms of popularity, and that only went 5 games too. Injuries definitely killed the vibes as well. Embiid, CP3, Brogdon, Herro, etc. etc. all around.

Funny enough I thought this year, the best parts of the playoffs were literally the first two rounds. Especially some of those fun West matchups (Suns-Clipper, Lakers-Warriors, Warriors-Kings, etc.). Even Bucks-Heat, Sixers-Celtics, etc. That's usually not the case, but there were some upsets even in the first round.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2855 on: June 14, 2023, 03:29:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I thought the Finals just lacked buzz. Sorry but Denver vs. Miami isn't really a marquee matchup in terms of popularity, and that only went 5 games too. Injuries definitely killed the vibes as well. Embiid, CP3, Brogdon, Herro, etc. etc. all around.

Funny enough I thought this year, the best parts of the playoffs were literally the first two rounds. Especially some of those fun West matchups (Suns-Clipper, Lakers-Warriors, Warriors-Kings, etc.). Even Bucks-Heat, Sixers-Celtics, etc. That's usually not the case, but there were some upsets even in the first round.

I enjoyed the Finals a lot. One of the more fun Finals in the last 5+ years.

It was a tad one sided though. It wasn't so much a question of who will win as rather how will Denver win. It reminds me some of the Iverson vs Shaq & Kobe Finals. There was never any doubt that LAL was going to win but the games were strangely competitive and close for most of the series and quite fun to watch despite the winner never being in doubt.

I also enjoyed the Miami Heat run. I love the way they play. I love Bam. I love that high post action they run with him. I love all the off ball screening and cutting. Fantastic stuff. I also enjoy a lot of their role players. Duncan Robinson. Great to see Kyle Lowry have some good games in the Finals. He has struggled a lot as he has gotten older. Fun to see him rewind the clock a bit and give us one more memory of him. Also fun to see a defensive guard like Gabe Vincent seemingly come from nowhere to make a huge number of clutch shots for the Heat throughout the playoffs. Jimmy as usual was very good to watch.

They were one of the weaker Finals teams and never should have gotten that far but it was fun to see them make it happen.

Also, I was very happy MIL got knocked out in the 1st round and I didn't have to watch Giannis bulldoze his way to the basket time and time again. Do not like watching that team play because of Giannis. So that made me enjoy the playoffs more.

The West was up and down. Sucked that a few teams got hurt with injuries. MEM was banged up otherwise they would've handled LAL in the 1st round. LAC lost Kawhi again. No P George. Phoenix lost CP3 and fell apart although they were at least fun to watch and played DEN tougher than anybody else did even without CP3.

GSW was a disappointment. They had a fun series with SAC but it sucked watching them put up such a weak effort vs LAL. Sucked that LAL made the Conference Finals but at least we saw some stellar AD defense along the way. And DEN beat them which helped.

BOS was a big disappointment in the East. Underperformed in the first round, underperformed again in the 2nd round and again underperfomred in the ECF. That put a blemish on my enjoyment of things.

Probably helped my enjoyment of the Finals that I was no longer angry how badly BOS had played the previous day. Got a bit of distance between that disappointment and the enjoyment of watching DEN and MIA compete.

The rest of the East wasn't interesting to me. Miami was fun. No real interest in CLE or NY series or NY vs MIA 2nd round series. PHI vs BKN was over before it started. PHI did alright in the 2nd round but were always lacking in depth / balance. BOS should've made shorter work of them but their own heads weren't right.

« Reply #2856 on: June 14, 2023, 05:03:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

I enjoyed the Finals a lot. One of the more fun Finals in the last 5+ years.

It was a tad one sided though. It wasn't so much a question of who will win as rather how will Denver win. It reminds me some of the Iverson vs Shaq & Kobe Finals. There was never any doubt that LAL was going to win but the games were strangely competitive and close for most of the series and quite fun to watch despite the winner never being in doubt.

I also enjoyed the Miami Heat run. I love the way they play. I love Bam. I love that high post action they run with him. I love all the off ball screening and cutting. Fantastic stuff. I also enjoy a lot of their role players. Duncan Robinson. Great to see Kyle Lowry have some good games in the Finals. He has struggled a lot as he has gotten older. Fun to see him rewind the clock a bit and give us one more memory of him. Also fun to see a defensive guard like Gabe Vincent seemingly come from nowhere to make a huge number of clutch shots for the Heat throughout the playoffs. Jimmy as usual was very good to watch.

They were one of the weaker Finals teams and never should have gotten that far but it was fun to see them make it happen.

Also, I was very happy MIL got knocked out in the 1st round and I didn't have to watch Giannis bulldoze his way to the basket time and time again. Do not like watching that team play because of Giannis. So that made me enjoy the playoffs more.

The West was up and down. Sucked that a few teams got hurt with injuries. MEM was banged up otherwise they would've handled LAL in the 1st round. LAC lost Kawhi again. No P George. Phoenix lost CP3 and fell apart although they were at least fun to watch and played DEN tougher than anybody else did even without CP3.

GSW was a disappointment. They had a fun series with SAC but it sucked watching them put up such a weak effort vs LAL. Sucked that LAL made the Conference Finals but at least we saw some stellar AD defense along the way. And DEN beat them which helped.

BOS was a big disappointment in the East. Underperformed in the first round, underperformed again in the 2nd round and again underperfomred in the ECF. That put a blemish on my enjoyment of things.

Probably helped my enjoyment of the Finals that I was no longer angry how badly BOS had played the previous day.
Got a bit of distance between that disappointment and the enjoyment of watching DEN and MIA compete.

The rest of the East wasn't interesting to me. Miami was fun. No real interest in CLE or NY series or NY vs MIA 2nd round series. PHI vs BKN was over before it started. PHI did alright in the 2nd round but were always lacking in depth / balance. BOS should've made shorter work of them but their own heads weren't right.

For me, I saw the writing was on the wall with this team when they started choking to the Nets in the regular season, losing to Orlando 3x, losing to Indy, losing to the Cavs, losing to the Knicks a few times too. I knew this team was toast heading into the postseason with the effort they give. Plus the coaching was abysmal. And alas, it came to bite them in the ECF. They should've lost in 4, but somehow both teams made it a series again before choking the bed at home in Game 7.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2857 on: June 14, 2023, 05:08:55 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Didn't even watch the Finals this year. Caught some highlights, I just had 0 interest in sitting through a game.

Warriors vs. Kings was the most fun watch of the playoffs, though.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2858 on: June 14, 2023, 06:07:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Brown was not good in the Finals
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2859 on: June 14, 2023, 07:02:38 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

Nope, didn't forget about the inefficient shooting, 43% from the field and 34% from 3pt or all the turnovers. 23ppg on 19 shot attempts is not good... FT shooting was under 70%, also not good. JB averaged the same amount of assists as he did turnovers.

Now lets compare that to what Murray did in the Finals: Averaged 26/6/7 while shooting 47% from the field, 40% from 3pt and 92% from the line. Only 2.5 turnovers to 7 assists. He also made a lot of clutch shots, while JB on the other hand folded under the pressure, especially at the line.

Brown played fine in that series. The difference is Murray plays with a guy that basically averages a triple double in the playoffs. He also played against a better team than Murray just did. I know a lot of you want to bury Brown but he’s pretty good. It seems he’s going from overrated to underrated. The exact opposite of Smart.

« Reply #2860 on: June 14, 2023, 08:57:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Brown played fine in that series. The difference is Murray plays with a guy that basically averages a triple double in the playoffs. He also played against a better team than Murray just did. I know a lot of you want to bury Brown but he’s pretty good. It seems he’s going from overrated to underrated. The exact opposite of Smart.

He was the opposite of fine.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2861 on: June 14, 2023, 11:10:34 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
I just notice one thing that both Denver and Dallas have in common- when they both won their championship, they did it by sweeping the Lakers during their run.  ;D

« Reply #2862 on: June 14, 2023, 11:26:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I am re-watching game 4 and they just showed a graphic saying Miami had used the zone defense 264 times in the playoffs. All other teams added together only used the zone 177 times!

Haha, wow. So Miami used the zone more than every other team combined. 50% more than every other team combined.

« Reply #2863 on: June 15, 2023, 09:49:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
I'm so happy for Jeff Green. He finally won a ring after 16 years. Loved that Denver Nuggets parade.

And Mike Malone is so down to earth...love that guy. Wish the Celtics could have him as a head-coach...but we stuck with a bum instead.