Author Topic: Michael Jordan sells Hornets  (Read 1022 times)

Michael Jordan sells Hornets
« on: June 16, 2023, 10:05:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Michael Jordan is finalizing a sale of the Charlotte Hornets to a group led by Gabe Plotkin and Rick Schnall, ending his 13-year run as majority owner, league sources told ESPN on Friday.

An agreement is expected to be signed in the coming days, sources said.

Schnall, a minority owner with the Atlanta Hawks, and Plotkin, a minority owner with the Hornets, will become the franchise's governors once the NBA completes its vetting and approval process. Jordan will continue to oversee basketball operations through next Thursday's NBA draft and the start of free agency on July 1.

Once the sale is complete, Jordan is expected to keep a minority stake and a presence with the franchise, sources said.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Michael Jordan sells Hornets
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think he paid in something like 455 mil overall for the franchise, first to become a minority owner than a majority owner.

Not that he really needs to be richer, but I assume this is a massive cashout for him, and less stressful to boot.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 10:46:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I read that MJ is less interested in the team these days. That he spends less time there. Doesn't get much enjoyment out of the team. Prefers to live in Florida. That he was selling the team because he wasn't getting much out of owning it.

If that is correct, I am surprised he kept a minor stake in the team.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 10:52:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I read that MJ is less interested in the team these days. That he spends less time there. Doesn't get much enjoyment out of the team. Prefers to live in Florida. That he was selling the team because he wasn't getting much out of owning it.

If that is correct, I am surprised he kept a minor stake in the team.

I'm not surprised because it seems inevitable that that minority stake will increase in value significantly over time, relative to other investments.  Also, even if he doesn't like the day-to-day, I'm sure he's retaining some pretty cool perks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 02:15:50 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Dude was horrible for them in his 13 years there…0 playoffs wins
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 03:10:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He was probably a bigger draw than the team.

But is not like Michael was the one making all those picks.

Bernie Bickerstaff – 2003 – 2007,  Rod Higgins from  2007 – 2011, Rich Cho was teh GM from 2012-2018. Mitch Kupchak 2019 to present.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1329202-michael-jordan-reportedly-will-take-a-step-back-in-bobcats-gm-operations

You have to understand two things about , he is competitor of the highest nature and he is a gambler.   Gambler's always believe they can get lucky and hit  on stuff.

A good read on him
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1355148-retracing-every-bad-decision-in-michael-jordans-tenure-as-an-owner

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 04:10:04 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
think we can get him here????

hahaha

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 07:27:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
In my opinion, this is the perfect visual summation of Michael Jordan’s ownership.

Jordan being upset at one of his employees, trying to smack him in the back of the head like he’s a small child, missing and then getting him to come back…so you can actually hit him.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 07:29:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In my opinion, this is the perfect visual summation of Michael Jordan’s ownership.

Jordan being upset at one of his employees, trying to smack him in the back of the head like he’s a small child, missing and then getting him to come back…so you can actually hit him.

Love that clip of him and Monk. Was exactly how he was as a player. Hilarious
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)