Author Topic: JB Ringer Article  (Read 6067 times)

Re: JB Ringer Article
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2023, 08:17:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Over the past 24 hours, I've seen more coverage of JB's story more than pretty much any other NBA story.  The vast majority of Hoopshype's main section is based upon the Ringer coverage, JB is being criticized on local radio, it's on Reddit, it's on NESN, etc., etc.

And almost all of it is negative, essentially suggesting that JB has one foot out the door.

What am I misreading here?

“I don’t know. As long as I’m needed. It’s not up to me,” he says. “We’ll see how they feel about me over time and I feel about them over time. Hopefully, whatever it is, it makes sense. But I will stay where I’m wanted. I will stay where I’m needed and treated correct.”

I guess the "we'll see how ... I feel about them over time" part isn't all that encouraging, but "I will stay where I'm wanted ... I will stay where I'm needed and treated correct" seems like he is willing to stay, so long as he's embraced by the organization (most likely through compensation).

Now, JB could have a different interpretation of "wanted".  Maybe he wants more marketing, which I think would be great.  Market an awesome player, please.  And, maybe he wants more shots at the end of games, instead of JT getting the last shot most nights.  I'd be open to this, too.  And, the team should be out lobbying, to the extent possible, to get JB onto the All-NBA team.  I think stuff like this matters.  Brad is stoic.  A guy like Morey is out there fighting for his guy to win MVP.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2023, 09:08:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Over the past 24 hours, I've seen more coverage of JB's story more than pretty much any other NBA story.  The vast majority of Hoopshype's main section is based upon the Ringer coverage, JB is being criticized on local radio, it's on Reddit, it's on NESN, etc., etc.

And almost all of it is negative, essentially suggesting that JB has one foot out the door.

“I don’t know. As long as I’m needed. It’s not up to me,” he says. “We’ll see how they feel about me over time and I feel about them over time. Hopefully, whatever it is, it makes sense. But I will stay where I’m wanted. I will stay where I’m needed and treated correct.”

I guess the "we'll see how ... I feel about them over time" part isn't all that encouraging, but "I will stay where I'm wanted ... I will stay where I'm needed and treated correct" seems like he is willing to stay, so long as he's embraced by the organization (most likely through compensation).

Now, JB could have a different interpretation of "wanted".  Maybe he wants more marketing, which I think would be great.  Market an awesome player, please.  And, maybe he wants more shots at the end of games, instead of JT getting the last shot most nights.  I'd be open to this, too.  And, the team should be out lobbying, to the extent possible, to get JB onto the All-NBA team.  I think stuff like this matters.  Brad is stoic.  A guy like Morey is out there fighting for his guy to win MVP.
It is very vague.  As I've said elsewhere in the thread, he could have said something like "I want to be in Boston for the rest of my career, but this is a business and that will factor into any decision about my career."  That basically says, if they offer the full maximum they can, I will sign it and stay, but he didn't say that.  He was cryptic and vague.  He would have been better off just saying he wasn't going to discuss his contract status in the press than to say what he said.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2023, 09:19:03 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
We are expecting him to be on the all nba team are we not? I would be surprised if he turned down the extension. If management is dumb enough not to offer the max then he will walk as he should.

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2023, 09:21:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
We are expecting him to be on the all nba team are we not? I would be surprised if he turned down the extension. If management is dumb enough not to offer the max then he will walk as he should.
I'm not sure he will make it.  There are a lot of deserving guard and wing candidates.  He certainly could make it, but it is far from a given.

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2023, 09:29:12 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I'm not sure he will make it.  There are a lot of deserving guard and wing candidates.  He certainly could make it, but it is far from a given.

As a forward he can and should. Crossing my fingers.

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

As a forward he can and should. Crossing my fingers.
I'm not even sure that is true, but the injuries to Durant and Lebron certainly open the door a bit more as the only givens now are Giannis and Tatum on the 1st Team.  You can make an argument for like 10 people deserving of the 2nd or 3rd team. 

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2023, 10:55:34 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If Jaylen doesn't plan on staying here beyond 2024, would you consider trading him in a package to get Jimmy Butler from Miami if that thing starts to spiral a bit? Tatum and Butler the #1 and #2?

(NOTE: I want Tatum and Jaylen here for life btw, but just throwing out ideas)

I'd wish the Nets would consider a Brown/Rob Williams for Bridges/Claxton type of base deal.
There is no one on the Nets currently who's an even swap for Jaylen. Bridges is a nice player - he's not a star and a guy who's going to win you a lot of games by himself.

Looking at from the standpoint Bridges is 26 years old, signed for 4 years at very reasonable money, is arguably way better defensively, and has shown some game offensively. Averaging 26 ppg with Nets in an extended role on offense. Not to mention he'd be comfortable understanding he's a #2 guy. Personality wise he seems like a great locker room guy as as well.

Claxton is a promising player too and at this point we need a C who can play a whole season. Might be time to give up on Rob Williams.

Who knows, if they added another piece or 2 to sweeten the deal, I feel like this is good value for us.
In most NBA trades, the team getting the better player comes out on top. You don't trade a difference maker for a lesser player. If Jaylen leaves, the Celtics will get worse at least for the near term and won't be a serious threat to win a title until they can reconfigure their cap to make room for another player at Jaylen's level. Then they have to go out and recruit him.
I wouldn't make that trade, but do you actually consider Jaylen to be a difference maker?
He can consistently get you points to win games in crunch time even when good defense is played against him, so yes. The number of guys who can do that is limited. That's not to say he doesn't have holes in his game (he does), but being able to do this outweighs just about everything else since so many NBA games are decided in the last 4 minutes.

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2023, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

Roy I think you nail it here. Regarding the coverage, you have local media anxious to trigger the fans (so they can get clicks/listeners). And a decent segment of the fan base is just 'anxious' and over the top in their reaction - about most things local team related, not just JB.

To me, the biggest negative in terms of keeping Jaylen around may be the co-existing with JT as well as the marketing. He may want to be 'the guy' and I can't fault anyone for that.  Careers are short, he's gifted with world class skills and he's 'aware' of the world he's been thrust into.  I can't fault him at all for wanting to take full advantage of that.

The Celtics have to hope that everyone's goals can align to the point where everyone can co-exist over the long haul. And if not, they'll have to make a hard decision on trading and then trying to replace him before he hits the open market and leaves.

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2023, 11:10:30 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Are there any discussions taking place regarding the reconfiguration of the All-NBA format? Personally, I find the current model, which positions players by their traditional positions of point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and center, to be outdated and archaic.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2023, 11:13:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So, after Boston's win over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday night, Brown was asked how he feels about his current situation.

"I feel great," Brown responded, as seen in the video above. "On a 50-win team right now, which you can't take for granted. Tonight was the (Celtics') 50th win. And right now I'm focused on helping lead my team for another playoff run. In terms of speculation, etcera, I can't speculate on anything above what I'm doing right now."

Brown added that he's considering speaking directly about some of the speculation that arose from his recent comments.

"I think sometimes when people write articles, they get taken out of context at times, especially when writers have their own agendas or whatever," Brown said. "So, for me personally, I'm thinking about clarifying some of the things that have been recently said. But other than that, I'm just focused on my team. I'm focused on playing basketball and focused on winning games."

For Brown, there's an important difference between people reading his comments in an article and watching him deliver those comments directly to get a sense for his tone and body language.

"Right now, the only thing I'm want to clarify is that the Celtics need to play better and win more games, Brown said. "If I want to say something in the future about kind of things that's been floating around, I will.

"But in terms of right now, I like when people hear things from the horse's mouth and you can see my reaction, my face and everything, how I feel about what I'm saying. Sometimes those things can get lost in translation, you know?"

I hear what he's saying, but this is why celebrities have PR firms.  This is the kind of half-speak and blaming of the media that we consistently heard from JB's friend.

I'd like him, at his own time, to address the future, just because it's becoming a distraction.  Just like Kanye was a distraction and Kyrie was a distraction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2023, 11:36:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2023, 11:42:42 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I hear what he's saying, but this is why celebrities have PR firms.  This is the kind of half-speak and blaming of the media that we consistently heard from JB's friend.

I'd like him, at his own time, to address the future, just because it's becoming a distraction.  Just like Kanye was a distraction and Kyrie was a distraction.

This reaction is exactly why athletes don't give the kind of interviews you've made mention of wanting to read more of (in-depth, long reads), by the way. It's a lose-lose scenario for the vast majority of them while they're actively playing.

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2023, 11:56:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

This reaction is exactly why athletes don't give the kind of interviews you've made mention of wanting to read more of (in-depth, long reads), by the way. It's a lose-lose scenario for the vast majority of them while they're actively playing.

True, but there's got to be some room between canned answers / fluff, as opposed to controversial statements (supporting racial supremacists at the far end).

He often cites his personal experiences with racism in the city, but only touches them at a surface level.  It's vague stuff, like it was harder for him to break into Boston's business community than he thought it would be as a professional athlete.  I'd love to hear him explore that. 

I'd also to like to hear what he's doing, financially, to help the community.  He really appreciated the Donda school.  Has he spoken with his peers about setting up something similar?  Funding scholarships?   Stuff that requires more than just putting him name on something.

And there is so much I'd like to see him talk about regarding politics, but it goes beyond bashing Trump.  I'd love to see him provide depth.

Some of that might be controversial, some isn't.  But, I will say that I'm personally more engaged when I hear people talk about there own lives.  Marcus Smart's article about the racist woman outside of TD Garden resonates, because it's got both substance and context.

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2023, 12:28:30 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Regarding the media you can see why so many athletes rely on their own social media and probably PR people to get their viewpoints across.  Because getting clicks is so important, the coverage slants to stuff that will get a reaction. I don't think that model is going to be sustainable for too much longer.

Granted it went on to a degree back then as well, but I miss the days when the Globe Sports Section was must reading on a daily basis. Even with Shaughnessy involved lol.  But those guys also had to face the athletes in person so that I think kept things in check - to a degree anyway - vs now when so many online 'journalists' just wing it trying to build their own audience. Most never come in contact with the players.

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2023, 12:33:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Boston sliding out of the #1 seed hurts Jaylen's All-NBA chances.