Author Topic: Flipping The Switch: The One Time It Worked  (Read 3041 times)

Re: Flipping The Switch: The One Time It Worked
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 12:58:47 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Remember 2010 well, too well actually.

Talk about pain. To this day, I have never watched the 4th quarter of Game 7. I watched the first 3 quarters and got so nervous, I switched to some innocuous show and turned on the Gamecast on my desktop, just to look once in awhile and monitor what was going on. Celts were leading going into the 4th and sure enough, the league found a way to prevent another Laker's embarrassing loss to the Celtics in a game 7, at home no less - similar to 1969 without the preceding 10 titles, just one for this group.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but as Roy said, that 2010 team limped into the playoffs with a competitively-questionable Rasheed Wallace who needed to wake up and play with some intensity. In Game 1 vs Miami in that 1st round, the Celts started out playing as badly as they had finished the regular season. Then, Paul Pierce got knocked down in a scramble for the ball on the sideline right at Miami's bench. Garnett and Co. came to Pierce's aid, there was a slight dustup between the teams and it seemed to finally light a fire under the Celtics. They took control of that game, then the series and rolled into Cleveland for the 2nd round with momentum and intensity we had not seen much of to that point. Took out Lebron (who folded like an oily beach chair in that series), then Dwight Howard and Orlando and then the Game 7, 4th quarter disaster vs the NBA League Office and the Lakers.

You could probably add the 1969 "Miracle Celtics" to the list of teams flipping the switch. However, they played the regular season with an aging team and probably sacrificed wins in an intentional effort to be rested and focused for the playoffs. It worked.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 01:03:48 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 01:47:39 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Talk about pain. To this day, I have never watched the 4th quarter of Game 7. I watched the first 3 quarters and got so nervous, I switched to some innocuous show and turned on the Gamecast on my desktop, just to look once in awhile and monitor what was going on. Celts were leading going into the 4th and sure enough, the league found a way to prevent another Laker's embarrassing loss to the Celtics in a game 7, at home no less - similar to 1969 without the preceding 10 titles, just one for this group.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but as Roy said, that 2010 team limped into the playoffs with a competitively-questionable Rasheed Wallace who needed to wake up and play with some intensity. In Game 1 vs Miami in that 1st round, the Celts started out playing as badly as they had finished the regular season. Then, Paul Pierce got knocked down in a scramble for the ball on the sideline right at Miami's bench. Garnett and Co. came to Pierce's aid, there was a slight dustup between the teams and it seemed to finally light a fire under the Celtics. They took control of that game, then the series and rolled into Cleveland for the 2nd round with momentum and intensity we had not seen much of to that point. Took out Lebron (who folded like an oily beach chair in that series), then Dwight Howard and Orlando and then the Game 7, 4th quarter disaster vs the NBA League Office and the Lakers.

You could probably add the 1969 "Miracle Celtics" to the list of teams flipping the switch. However, they played the regular season with an aging team and probably sacrificed wins in an intentional effort to be rested and focused for the playoffs. It worked.

2010 was very memorable. Think we almost lost Game 1 at home to Miami and then rallied back to beat them; then somebody got suspended in Game 2-- KG? We blew them out in G2 no problem from big shot Ray Allen and Big Baby. Game 3 Pierce with that legendary ISO dagger from the right wing to take that 3-0 series lead and bam.

Celtics-Cavs stressed me out. We almost had Game 1. Game 2 win in Cleveland was huge and felt like a morale-booster and then that miserable Game 3 happened at the TD Garden. Rondo had that nice triple-double on Mother's Day Sunday Game 4 and then we blew them out at the Q in Game 5 before sending LeBron packing for South Beach in Game 6. Def my most favorite series that run.

Celtics-Magic made me pretty nervous. Took a commanding 3-0 lead and we could've swept them but we lost in OT in Game 4 at home. Then Perkins get suspended and Big Baby got concussed and the C's lost Game 5 and suddenly the series felt like it was in jeopardy going back to Game 6 at the Garden. Then Rondo had that elbow injury and suddenly Nate Robinson had his breakout game with those crazy shots before the C's took the Eastern Conference trophy home. Felt nice avenging the previous year's loss.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 06:29:49 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

2010 was very memorable. Think we almost lost Game 1 at home to Miami and then rallied back to beat them; then somebody got suspended in Game 2-- KG? We blew them out in G2 no problem from big shot Ray Allen and Big Baby. Game 3 Pierce with that legendary ISO dagger from the right wing to take that 3-0 series lead and bam.

Celtics-Cavs stressed me out. We almost had Game 1. Game 2 win in Cleveland was huge and felt like a morale-booster and then that miserable Game 3 happened at the TD Garden. Rondo had that nice triple-double on Mother's Day Sunday Game 4 and then we blew them out at the Q in Game 5 before sending LeBron packing for South Beach in Game 6. Def my most favorite series that run.

Celtics-Magic made me pretty nervous. Took a commanding 3-0 lead and we could've swept them but we lost in OT in Game 4 at home. Then Perkins get suspended and Big Baby got concussed and the C's lost Game 5 and suddenly the series felt like it was in jeopardy going back to Game 6 at the Garden. Then Rondo had that elbow injury and suddenly Nate Robinson had his breakout game with those crazy shots before the C's took the Eastern Conference trophy home. Felt nice avenging the previous year's loss.

The elbow injury. Not sure I’ve seen anything quite like that one. Or at least never been more sure that a player was done when they weren’t.  Arms aren’t supposed to do that.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 09:21:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Switch flipped.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 01:01:25 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2023, 08:02:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2023, 11:46:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Switch flipped.

Until next game. ;)

Yup, no guarantee that the switch stays in the ON position with this team  :police:

Unless they were playing the Sixers next...then it would probably stay on. They tend to leave it off for the lesser teams like Utah and Toronto, I'm sure we will lose to one or both of those  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2023, 12:05:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Switch flipped.

Until next game. ;)

Yup, no guarantee that the switch stays in the ON position with this team  :police:

Unless they were playing the Sixers next...then it would probably stay on. They tend to leave it off for the lesser teams like Utah and Toronto, I'm sure we will lose to one or both of those  :angel:

I agree, they do seem to get bored and play down to lesser competition. Last night wasn’t lesser competition, though. The playoffs won’t be either.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2023, 12:08:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Needing to flip switches is not the ideal way to be going into the playoffs.  But this season, is there any team that has not struggled at times?  The Bucks seemed like the hottest team but then get whupped by 40 by the Celtics.  PHO has been up and down far more than the Celtics but now they have Durant.  Are they going to gel as a unit in time for the playoffs?  And everyone seems to think DEN will wilt in the playoffs because of bad defense or whatever.  PHI has questions.

Another refrain seems to be that we can't trust the Celtics because they have not won a title yet.  They have been to the finals though.  It seems like a lot of teams don't win until they have lost once in the finals.  And if you apply that metric, then I guess we can pencil in GSW vs. MIL in the finals.  I guess you could say the LAL too have won.

I think the Celtics are fine.  I think MIL is a threat.  They are a very good team with probably the best player in the game (Embiid and Jokic notwithstanding).  We will have to play our absolute best to get past them.  But I do think our absolute best is a little better than their absolute best.  Then there are a bunch of teams, DEN, PHO, PHI, LAL, that have questions but scare me nonetheless (albeit a little less than MIL scares me).

I have confidence in the Celtics.  I believe they have a shot to win it all.  But if they ultimately lose to MIL or PHO, I am not necessarily going to view that as a failure, as a missed opportunity or whatever.  A lot depends on how it all goes down.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2023, 12:35:24 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't believe we need to "flip the switch".  I think we just need to be healthy.  Our starting 5 has played a total of 81 minutes together all season.

I think we just need to be healthy.  Expecting our early season success we had w/o Rob to ever come back is unrealistic because that was driven by unsustainable 3-point shooting.  I think we need Rob healthy or I think we've got an unlikely path to a title.

This is the answer. We need a healthy team to win. The same was true in 2010.

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2023, 12:37:05 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Rob is the difference maker!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2023, 01:25:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Rob is the difference maker!

He makes guys look over their shoulders because he can move in such an other worldly manner. He is a true athletic freak.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2023, 01:55:58 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Switch flipped.

Until next game. ;)

I agree, they do seem to get bored and play down to lesser competition. Last night wasn’t lesser competition, though. The playoffs won’t be either.

Agree, I expect the switch to be on throughout the playoffs. The only time I would be worried is if we have a 3-1 lead or something, that's when this team tends to get overconfident.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2023, 11:42:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
fwiw, this is a veteran team. Tatum is only 24 but he's in his 6th season. Brown is 26, in his 7th season. Smart and White are 28, Brogdon 30, and Horford 36. The least seasoned guys in the rotation are the Wiliamses and because the Celtics have had so much success the last few years, they're both playoff tested.

That doesn't mean they'll be able to flip the switch but it feels worth noting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2023, 12:43:08 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Miami has flipped the switch. Glad the C’s avoided them first round.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2023, 01:15:35 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
So has Golden State. The regular NBA season and playoffs are two completely different animals.