Author Topic: What's wrong with Marcus?  (Read 2882 times)

What's wrong with Marcus?
« on: March 12, 2023, 01:58:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
What's wrong with Marcus? Since he came back from injury he's looked slow, and makes tons of rookie mistakes. His defense looks off and he's missing bunnies left and right. He's getting toasted by the refs. He just doesn't look like the DPOY. He looks like his forcing everything. We are going to need him to get his head screwed on right. White was also playing like a star while he was out.

Re: What's wrong with Marcus?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
 I think he should take a couple of games off ( at least the Houston game...) to heal up physically and mentally. He will be much needed in the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 05:47:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
This is has often been the case with Smart throughout his career. He gets injured, he misses those games, then he returns but he has to play himself back into shape and gives sub-standard performances for awhile until he is back in game shape.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This is has often been the case with Smart throughout his career. He gets injured, he misses those games, then he returns but he has to play himself back into shape and gives sub-standard performances for awhile until he is back in game shape.

Well, that's a good explanation. I guess rest won't do him any good if that's the case. He'll just have to play through it. I hope you're right.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 07:25:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This has been the story of Marcus's career, right?  Sometimes he's the guy who is dedicated to defense and who makes huge plays; other times he sort of goes through the motions and goes into bad offensive funks.

From my observation, the Marcus we've seen lately is the same Marcus we saw in the 2021 season under Brad.  He's nothing special on defense, hustles less, and is a poor offensive player.  Ime got Smart to play more like "good Marcus" when he won DPOY.  This season, particularly lately, we're seeing the less intense Smart who coasts more.

Marcus needs a coach that holds him accountable, like here:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/ime-udoka-reveals-fallout-marcus-smart-calling-out-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 07:45:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This has been the story of Marcus's career, right?  Sometimes he's the guy who is dedicated to defense and who makes huge plays; other times he sort of goes through the motions and goes into bad offensive funks.

From my observation, the Marcus we've seen lately is the same Marcus we saw in the 2021 season under Brad.  He's nothing special on defense, hustles less, and is a poor offensive player.  Ime got Smart to play more like "good Marcus" when he won DPOY.  This season, particularly lately, we're seeing the less intense Smart who coasts more.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/ime-udoka-reveals-fallout-marcus-smart-calling-out-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown
Perhaps, but in my opinion the Marcus we saw pre-injury this season was the best rendition we've ever seen. 7.2APG, 2.4TOV, great defence, efficient enough (by Smart standards).

Since coming back, 4APG, 2.5TOV, worse defence, cratering 2PT% but significantly better 3PT%.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 07:54:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Perhaps, but in my opinion the Marcus we saw pre-injury this season was the best rendition we've ever seen. 7.2APG, 2.4TOV, great defence, efficient enough (by Smart standards).

Since coming back, 4APG, 2.5TOV, worse defence, cratering 2PT% but significantly better 3PT%.

I agree. Marcus from the beginning of the year is the one we need. I hope he'll be there by the time of the playoffs. When he's playing all over the map like he is now it makes the whole team very inconsistent.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 07:57:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I agree that the coach needs to use playing time and even the starter spot to crack down on Marcus' bad habits.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 11:09:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Needs a talking to.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 04:05:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
He (and most of the team) seems to be coasting for chunks of the game.

You know who never coasts? Pritchard. Not the most skilled player but that guy really plays! Too bad he’s injured.
- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

You know who never coasts? Pritchard. Not the most skilled player but that guy really plays! Too bad he’s injured.

Well what's notable is that the players who tend to be coasting right now are the ones that are probably assured of playing significant roles in the playoffs, and are possibly trying to preserve themselves for that time. Pritchard is in the other category, they need to showcase as much of themselves as possible because they may not be with this team next season and this is really their opportunity to let other teams know what they can do.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 08:29:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
He has a badly broken body, which makes his badly broken shot and decision making that much worse.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 10:02:03 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Well what's notable is that the players who tend to be coasting right now are the ones that are probably assured of playing significant roles in the playoffs, and are possibly trying to preserve themselves for that time. Pritchard is in the other category, they need to showcase as much of themselves as possible because they may not be with this team next season and this is really their opportunity to let other teams know what they can do.

Ehh, if that’s the case, I think Mazzulla is better off “load managing” his players so they can play in the games they play. And at some point, you have to start gearing up for the playoffs. Players can’t go from coasting to playoff basketball. And at 14 games to go, the season is winding down.

I do wish we had rested Tatum a bit, maybe like 6 games ago. I’m glad he got that day off with the “knee soreness” or whatever. He’s played a lot of minutes on top of last year’s deep playoff run.
- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If they reduced Marcus' minutes could he play harder when on the court? Would he play smarter?

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 12:52:18 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

Either you want it at his age or you dont. Another man isnt going to "hold him accountable". Self motivation at the highest level. Marcus has to decide not Joe.
ok fine