Author Topic: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!  (Read 13881 times)

Re: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2023, 09:53:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I just don't see how signing Derrick Favors to a 10 day contract is going to help anything.  Miami was in desperate need of big depth, far worse than us, and Favors didn't even get off their bench.

I do think we need to sign someone (really the 14th person with Gallinari the 15th and out), but last week I would have said we needed a wing.  Now with Rob Williams not playing, maybe the need is a big.  I think this is why they are waiting.  The need can change.

Isn't that why there are 10-day contracts?

Miami used a 10 day contract to sign Favors.  What good did that do them?  He never played a minute.  I think in most cases, that is what you are going to get with a 10 day contract player, nothing.  If there is someone that can actually help the team on nights like last night, I am all for signing them, 10 day or otherwise.  But would Favors (for example) sitting on the bench last night have helped us?  Miami was far more shorthanded for bigs than we are right now and Favors didn't help them one bit.

I get the frustration, it is pathetic to watch the team right now.  But signing a useless player to a 10 day contract is not going to help.  It would be nothing more than a desperation move that would not accomplish anything, unless by some miracle, we find that 10-day contract guy who is going to step into our rotation and contribute.  Miami tried it with Favors.  Good for them.  We (and all other 28 teams) decided not to bring in Favors (something I was totally in favor of earlier in the season).  Looks like someone knew better than me.

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2023, 10:19:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
It's March 7 and there's only about 16 games to go.

If they were going to add someone they'd already do it. They also have a 6-game road trip coming up soon so it's hard for a new acquisition to probably even get playing time or get acclimated during a road trip.

I'd just accept that we're doing nothing
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2023, 10:35:10 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
It's March 7 and there's only about 16 games to go.

If they were going to add someone they'd already do it. They also have a 6-game road trip coming up soon so it's hard for a new acquisition to probably even get playing time or get acclimated during a road trip.

I'd just accept that we're doing nothing

It may well be too late but only because ownership refused to do anything since last summer except the Muscala trade. Wic is a big bag of hot air!

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2023, 10:59:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just don't see how signing Derrick Favors to a 10 day contract is going to help anything.  Miami was in desperate need of big depth, far worse than us, and Favors didn't even get off their bench.

I do think we need to sign someone (really the 14th person with Gallinari the 15th and out), but last week I would have said we needed a wing.  Now with Rob Williams not playing, maybe the need is a big.  I think this is why they are waiting.  The need can change.

Miami used a 10 day contract to sign Favors.  What good did that do them?  He never played a minute.  I think in most cases, that is what you are going to get with a 10 day contract player, nothing.  If there is someone that can actually help the team on nights like last night, I am all for signing them, 10 day or otherwise.  But would Favors (for example) sitting on the bench last night have helped us?  Miami was far more shorthanded for bigs than we are right now and Favors didn't help them one bit.

I get the frustration, it is pathetic to watch the team right now.  But signing a useless player to a 10 day contract is not going to help.  It would be nothing more than a desperation move that would not accomplish anything, unless by some miracle, we find that 10-day contract guy who is going to step into our rotation and contribute.  Miami tried it with Favors.  Good for them.  We (and all other 28 teams) decided not to bring in Favors (something I was totally in favor of earlier in the season).  Looks like someone knew better than me.

There very well may be a 10-day signee that could help us.  You don't know until you bring that player in.  Maybe they take a few minutes.  Maybe they're just a practice body.  Perhaps the signing turns into a rest of season contract.

Milwaukee has played Meyers Leonard seven minutes per game on a 10-day.  He doesn't produce much, but he eats minutes.

Meanwhile, Kris Dunn has looked fantastic in Utah on a 10-day.  13 / 3 / 4 on excellent efficiency.

Several teams have converted 10-day contracts into rest of season deals.

The value is little, but it exists.  Having a marginal player on a 10-day contract is more valuable than having nobody at all.

With Timelord's ongoing issues, I'd offer Noel a rest-of-season contract as soon as his 10-day deal with the Nets expires.  Wyc can afford the $300k + tax.  (I'd actually offer it to DMC, but Brad will never sign him.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 11:06:09 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2023, 12:39:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Tucker Carlson:
“For more than two years we have wondered why some in the crowd that day who seem to be inciting violence were never indicted for it,” Carlson said. “We assumed these were federal agents of some sort. We still assume that. In fact, there were many examples of behavior we saw in those tapes that didn’t seem to make sense … As of tonight, we don’t know. Because we don’t know, we will not put their faces on the screen and suggest they were federal agents. That would be irresponsible. So there were many mysteries we could not solve.”

As he opened his show Monday, Carlson described the anger among supporters of then-President Trump in the weeks leading to the Capitol riot, noting “they believed the election they had just voted in had been unfairly conducted.”

“They were right. In retrospect, it is clear the 2020 election was a grave betrayal of American democracy, given the facts that have since emerged about that election,” he said. “No honest person can deny it. Yet the beneficiaries of that election continue to lie about what is now obvious.”

We assume they were federal agents [because that is what our viewers want to hear and if we don't say this, they may switch to Newsmax].  But as of tonight, we don't know [which we have to say because our lawyers are getting nervous about the Dominion case].  Fox News has as much evidence that there were Federal Agents involved as they do that there were aliens from another galaxy involved (meaning zero evidence in both cases).  But still, they assume they were Federal Agents.

And of course, a shout out to the big lie, for good measure, but without specifically mentioning Dominion Voting.  What facts exactly have emerged about the election that prove election deniers were in fact right?

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2023, 12:41:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Wrong thread, VG.

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2023, 03:02:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

There very well may be a 10-day signee that could help us.  You don't know until you bring that player in.  Maybe they take a few minutes.  Maybe they're just a practice body.  Perhaps the signing turns into a rest of season contract.

Milwaukee has played Meyers Leonard seven minutes per game on a 10-day.  He doesn't produce much, but he eats minutes.

Meanwhile, Kris Dunn has looked fantastic in Utah on a 10-day.  13 / 3 / 4 on excellent efficiency.

The value is little, but it exists.  Having a marginal player on a 10-day contract is more valuable than having nobody at all.

With Timelord's ongoing issues, I'd offer Noel a rest-of-season contract as soon as his 10-day deal with the Nets expires.  Wyc can afford the $300k + tax.  (I'd actually offer it to DMC, but Brad will never sign him.)

Yes, you can't under rate the value of just eating some minutes either on a back to back or when someone is out. Last game we were missing 3 starters and had one with a mask on we could've used an extra body. Stanley Johnson would've come in and created havoc. I guess Wic wants to buy another car or something rather than get a championship.

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2023, 03:45:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Yes, you can't under rate the value of just eating some minutes either on a back to back or when someone is out. Last game we were missing 3 starters and had one with a mask on we could've used an extra body. Stanley Johnson would've come in and created havoc. I guess Wic wants to buy another car or something rather than get a championship.

Agree with both of you.  Just look at that last game at the Cavs.  If we had signed Noel and he was playing at least competent minutes down the stretch.  If he gets (1), ONE rebound that stops some second chance points it would have won the game for us.  When we need the wins really badly to stay close with the Bucks these small moves matter.   When Timelord and Al are both out in the same game, we have no bigs that offer def and rebounding (Kornet does his best, but still...).  It killed us in the last game.   

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2023, 04:25:25 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If someone is out there who is better than Kornet and Blake, fine. I haven’t heard such a player mentioned. I wondered why Blake didn’t play at all in the 4th. With his limitations on D he’s still a very effective rebounder.

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2023, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think the Cs should play for the number 2 seed.  They have played Philly better than they have either NYK or Cleveland.

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2023, 04:31:47 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think the Cs should play for the number 2 seed.  They have played Philly better than they have either NYK or Cleveland.

I’d prefer home-court advantage for the playoffs over not having it, but I agree I’d much rather line up with Philly than Cleveland in the second round, so it’s a consolation prize if nothing else.

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2023, 04:36:04 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

The Bucks purposefully tried to avoid the #1 seed last year.  How did that work out for them?

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2023, 04:37:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
If someone is out there who is better than Kornet and Blake, fine. I haven’t heard such a player mentioned. I wondered why Blake didn’t play at all in the 4th. With his limitations on D he’s still a very effective rebounder.

He's also really good at taking charges.

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2023, 06:41:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

+1.  For all of Kornet's good effort on the off glass get tip backs, the def glass is what killed us.  I am not sure Blake would have been a lot better, but we should have tried him either way.  We just needed to sign some other 3rd defensive big either way.

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2023, 07:31:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

+1.  For all of Kornet's good effort on the off glass get tip backs, the def glass is what killed us.  I am not sure Blake would have been a lot better, but we should have tried him either way.  We just needed to sign some other 3rd defensive big either way.

Well, time's a wastin'. I think saving money is the priority at the moment.