Author Topic: Brown: We're pretty bored comment  (Read 2759 times)

Re: Brown: We're pretty bored comment
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2023, 02:26:45 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I dont even play and I get bored mid way through the season. This core group has proven repeatedly they are a deep playoff run team.
ok fine

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2023, 03:45:16 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
I wonder what the "simple things" they're "bored with" are.  Although based on what I've watched I can make some easy guesses.

If that's your approach to the game then don't expect to win a ring.  Don't hang your heads if you get knocked out of the 2nd round of the playoffs or ECF.  You'd think this team would be hungrier than that after losing the Finals on their home floor.

One of the simplest things our players can do is start trusting each other again.  I'm seeing too many selfish shots and iso ball.  The ball movement was much better earlier in the season.  We averaged 28.6 assists per game as a team in the month of Nov.  In December that dropped all the way down to to 24.8.  This month it's 26.6, which is good for 8th best as a team for this month.  This roster is too skilled to settle for as many contested early shot clock 3's as they do.  Drive, kick, ball movement, man movement.  Simple.

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2023, 05:22:16 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think it's natural for many teams to become complacent, especially as they're dealing with injuries or are simply tired.  But, it's certainly not a best practice.  It's what separates a team that wins 50-ish games from a team that wins 60.

Yes, I feel that it's what separates the good teams, and players, from the great ones. That's why the likes of Jordan, Bird and Kobe were as great as they were - they never took nights off. They were able to elevate their performance pretty much every time they got on the court. Not everyone can do that. How many of us have made a genuine effort to watch every single Celtics game, no matter what we had planned? It's not easy to maintain that level of focus night in, night out, over the course of an entire season. I can understand if this team gets bored. But, it's what separates the good from the great.

And that's one of the coach's primary jobs, over and ahead of any in game management or timeouts that they need to do - is to keep everyone pulling on the oars in harmony so that the boat continues on its path to its destination. That's what I'm judging Joe Mazz on, ultimately - how well prepared this team is come playoff time.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2023, 04:34:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Young slightly famous millionaires. Sure it's hard to be focused every night on the court. Or to put in more effort to be great when you have success already. Life for NBA is full of distractions and sometimes the distractions consume your heart and your game suffers. Most get all that. However turning on and off a switch of effort or focus is like admitting it's not really who you are but who you are pretending to be.

Going to be hard to get this team to stay the number one seed when they don't commit to being great every night.

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2023, 04:37:51 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Young slightly famous millionaires. Sure it's hard to be focused every night on the court. Or to put in more effort to be great when you have success already. Life for NBA is full of distractions and sometimes the distractions consume your heart and your game suffers. Most get all that. However turning on and off a switch of effort or focus is like admitting it's not really who you are but who you are pretending to be.

Going to be hard to get this team to stay the number one seed when they don't commit to being great every night.

We should also consider that's it's all relative...how many other teams are committing to be great every night? Not just one or two stars, but all of the players in those teams? I don't think we're the only team that's afflicted with this malady. At least they're honest enough to admit it.

Though I agree that they should control what they can control, and what they can control is their own commitment to be great, not anyone else's. But to me that's why the likes of Jordan, Kobe, KG, KD et al are great, because they commit/committed to be so every night. Time will tell if our group will be the same. It's going to be part of their journey this season, as the favorites for the chip. Can they reach for greatness?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2023, 05:14:22 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

We should also consider that's it's all relative...how many other teams are committing to be great every night? Not just one or two stars, but all of the players in those teams? I don't think we're the only team that's afflicted with this malady. At least they're honest enough to admit it.

Though I agree that they should control what they can control, and what they can control is their own commitment to be great, not anyone else's. But to me that's why the likes of Jordan, Kobe, KG, KD et al are great, because they commit/committed to be so every night. Time will tell if our group will be the same. It's going to be part of their journey this season, as the favorites for the chip. Can they reach for greatness?
Let's hope for a post All-Star surge.

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2023, 09:37:40 AM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Are players too bored to get a max contract?
Too bored to be a first team all nba player?
Too bored to want to be in the mvp running?
Too bored to call timeouts?
Too bored to win a championship?
Too bored to get the number 1 record?
Too bored to get a triple double?

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2023, 11:39:32 AM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Apparently the NBA is bored with the All-Star Game