Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 33696 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2022, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Another ex-New England Revolution guy, Tajon Buchanon, starting for Canada vs Belgium. Great up and down match so far. Canada is a lot better than many think.

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Japan and Saudi Arabia upsetting Germany and Argentina so far is awesome and makes things a lot more exciting over the next week!

One of my coworkers is from Germany and we were kinda teasing her especially in the 2nd half as they blew the lead then lost lol  :laugh: and their next game is against Spain who won 7-0 today and look great
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2022, 05:28:48 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Japan and Saudi Arabia upsetting Germany and Argentina so far is awesome and makes things a lot more exciting over the next week!

One of my coworkers is from Germany and we were kinda teasing her especially in the 2nd half as they blew the lead then lost lol  :laugh: and their next game is against Spain who won 7-0 today and look great

Not only that but Morocco drawing with Croatia and Tunisia with Denmark. This definitely makes things more interesting for the second game. I am getting for my Brazil with all these upsets.

I think the lesson though is stay aggressive in theses games. Tunisia stayed strong and although they didn't score, they kept Denmark on the defense enough that they didn't score either. Same with Germany (at least from the parts I saw). I think the US weren't aggressive enough, especially after scoring and that let Wales back in the game.

Let's hope we can get another upset on Friday though.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2022, 07:06:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Quite possibly one of the most entertaining matches of the WC yet...Iran beat Wales with 2 goals after 8 minutes of added time - the 98th minute and again in the 100th minute. Probably a 0-0 draw would have been the best result from GD but the US still has control of their own destiny. All they have to do is not lose as badly against England as Iran and beat Iran and they should make it. Easier said than done given how Iran played today.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2022, 09:11:28 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Garbage start to the weekend to be honest, even as a laundry-casual fan.

This is from a few months ago but clearly it hasn't been on repeat often enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fpV0OFC0vc
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2022, 10:15:30 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't think I've ever seen a country hosting the World Cup yet not have their stadium sold out when the host nation is playing. That's honestly just embarrassing for Qatar. Not only was it not sold out but it only looked like 60-70% of the stadium was filled.

And it's not just for the Qatar games, most of these games honestly look half-filled
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2022, 10:52:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think I've ever seen a country hosting the World Cup yet not have their stadium sold out when the host nation is playing. That's honestly just embarrassing for Qatar. Not only was it not sold out but it only looked like 60-70% of the stadium was filled.

And it's not just for the Qatar games, most of these games honestly look half-filled
All the more evidence of the just flat out corruption that makes up the World Cup hosting process.  There is no logically or reasonable explanation for Qatar hosting except for bribery. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2022, 11:15:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Not only that but Morocco drawing with Croatia and Tunisia with Denmark. This definitely makes things more interesting for the second game. I am getting for my Brazil with all these upsets.

I think the lesson though is stay aggressive in theses games. Tunisia stayed strong and although they didn't score, they kept Denmark on the defense enough that they didn't score either. Same with Germany (at least from the parts I saw). I think the US weren't aggressive enough, especially after scoring and that let Wales back in the game.

Let's hope we can get another upset on Friday though.

I hope you guys get Neymar back…he got kicked so much I guess he got injured and could miss the rest of the tournament  :-\

« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2022, 11:59:15 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Quite possibly one of the most entertaining matches of the WC yet...Iran beat Wales with 2 goals after 8 minutes of added time - the 98th minute and again in the 100th minute. Probably a 0-0 draw would have been the best result from GD but the US still has control of their own destiny. All they have to do is not lose as badly against England as Iran and beat Iran and they should make it. Easier said than done given how Iran played today.
The Wales result was a bad result for team USA. They played like chickens in the second half. They should have beaten Wales. Beating Iran is no guarantee.

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2022, 02:03:17 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Let's go USA!!! If we're going to lose let's not lose by a lot at least  :angel:

« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2022, 02:23:22 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
The Wales result was a bad result for team USA. They played like chickens in the second half. They should have beaten Wales. Beating Iran is no guarantee.

The US's chances aren't looking good to me. Tying Wales instead of beating them hurts their chances, and they'll probably lose to England. Might not even get out of the group stage.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2022, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Solid 1st half.  Had some good looks.

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2022, 03:20:48 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

The US's chances aren't looking good to me. Tying Wales instead of beating them hurts their chances, and they'll probably lose to England. Might not even get out of the group stage.

I’m not expecting them to beat England either but they might be good for a draw, though they’ve had some sustained pressure on the England goal for a while now. Right now it looks like they won’t lose by 4 goals, so really all they need to do is beat Iran and hope Wales doesn’t beat England and they will go through  :angel:

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2022, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
US survive with a draw against Old Blighty!

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2022, 03:53:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Well a draw.. beat Iran and advance, any other result and they go home.