Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 285955 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #2670 on: March 21, 2023, 10:00:19 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I think it’s very likely MIA finishes the 6 seed, BKN the 7 and in the play-in tournament. 1 seed is basically not possible so we just need to hold on to the 2 seed and face either BKN or ATL 1st round

There is a big difference between not possible, and unlikely (bolded).   
We win tonight we are 2 games back of the Bucks.  We win the last C's - Bucks game and get to one back.
Not a lot of games left, but it is still possible.  Winning out the rest of the year probably gets us at least tied with the Bucks and then we would have the tie-breaker.

Now is it likely?  yeah even I admit it is not LIKELY.  So prove us wrong C's!

In other words, the Bucks control their own destiny. And the way the C's been slumping, #1 seed is not possible. Bucks been dominating down the stretch. If Celtics slump that badly then the #2 seed will be in jeopardy too lol.

At least last year's #2 seed in the East made it to the NBA Finals, so anything's possible!!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2671 on: March 21, 2023, 10:22:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
If the Lakers go 7-3, they will be in the play-in, especially if they win the games against the teams they are fighting position for i.e. OKC, Minnesota, and Utah.  Frankly, given they are only 1 loss outside of 6th right now, they'd have a small, but not totally out of question shot, at making the 6th seed if they finished at 42-40 (7-3).

They are not going to pass five teams and get into the 6th spot.  They are more likely to get caught by New Orleans, which has several winnable games coming up (Spurs, Hornets, and Blazers) than they are to catapult themselves all the way to 6th.

That said, there are so many wasted bytes on the Lakers on these forums.  We should be talking more about the Raptors, an equally disappointing team, but in our same division and one we have a chance of running into in the first round.

You sure as hell hit the nail on the head there.

I mean, I don’t think regularly enjoying our historical rivals struggling to make the playin game (or a long time player rival in Lebron) as all that surprising. It would be much stranger to me if we were discussing the raptors right now a team we are not a rival of and that doesn’t seem like they will even play us in the playoffs.

« Reply #2672 on: March 21, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If the Lakers go 7-3, they will be in the play-in, especially if they win the games against the teams they are fighting position for i.e. OKC, Minnesota, and Utah.  Frankly, given they are only 1 loss outside of 6th right now, they'd have a small, but not totally out of question shot, at making the 6th seed if they finished at 42-40 (7-3).

They are not going to pass five teams and get into the 6th spot.  They are more likely to get caught by New Orleans, which has several winnable games coming up (Spurs, Hornets, and Blazers) than they are to catapult themselves all the way to 6th.

That said, there are so many wasted bytes on the Lakers on these forums.  We should be talking more about the Raptors, an equally disappointing team, but in our same division and one we have a chance of running into in the first round.
I was responding to the post directly before mine, just didn't want to make a super long quote thread.  The Raptors aren't an interesting team, which is why no one talks about them.  Outside of everything the Celtics, this board has historically discussed interesting teams.  The year the Raptors had Kawhi, they were interesting and discussed a lot more on here. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2673 on: March 21, 2023, 11:18:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I was responding to the post directly before mine, just didn't want to make a super long quote thread.  The Raptors aren't an interesting team, which is why no one talks about them.  Outside of everything the Celtics, this board has historically discussed interesting teams.  The year the Raptors had Kawhi, they were interesting and discussed a lot more on here.

Again, agree with Mo on this one. That raptors just aren’t that interesting a team (neither are the nets pacers or wizards for that matter). The west teams battling for the playin are just more interesting. Dallas is obviously struggling to get kyrie and luka to mesh and are poor defensively. Pelicans would become interesting if they got Zion back at any point. Warriors obviously are interesting. Lakers, in addition to being a rival of course have Lebron and AD. Just a lot more to discuss out there.

« Reply #2674 on: March 22, 2023, 12:45:06 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Paul George went down with a rough looking knee injury tonight.
Kind of like his knee bent backwards...hope he is ok and it isn't season ending

« Reply #2675 on: March 22, 2023, 03:03:24 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Paul George went down with a rough looking knee injury tonight.
Kind of like his knee bent backwards...hope he is ok and it isn't season ending

Yikes, looks bad. Heard he was also carted out the arena. With 9 games to go, he's probably done for the season. Don't rule him out for the playoffs though. Kawhi and RW0 need to pick it up

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2676 on: March 22, 2023, 06:08:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Last week he was saying how Ring chasing culture is toxic, this week he doesn’t want to be part of a rebuild.  :laugh:

@TheNBACentral

Damian Lillard says he’s not interested in rebuilding

“That's not what I'm interested in. That's what the frustrating part of it is. Talking about what's gonna happen next season. And us 'building'. That's not what I'm here to do especially at this stage …

Those two perspectives are not in conflict. If Portland didn't have the worst bench in the comp they would be a play-in team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2677 on: March 22, 2023, 08:06:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Comments like this always crack me up:

According to [Chandler] Parsons, he feared KD more than he did the Los Angeles Lakers superstar: “There’s harder matchups one-on-one,” Parsons said. “When I was playing I feared guarding Kevin Durant more than I feared guarding LeBron James just because of his ability to score in iso, the way he can break you off. The way you can play great defense, he can shoot over you. LeBron is more passive.”

Do you know who didn't fear being guarded by Chandler Parsons?  Lebron, Durant and pretty much the rest of the league.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2678 on: March 22, 2023, 09:14:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

According to [Chandler] Parsons, he feared KD more than he did the Los Angeles Lakers superstar: “There’s harder matchups one-on-one,” Parsons said. “When I was playing I feared guarding Kevin Durant more than I feared guarding LeBron James just because of his ability to score in iso, the way he can break you off. The way you can play great defense, he can shoot over you. LeBron is more passive.”

Do you know who didn't fear being guarded by Chandler Parsons?  Lebron, Durant and pretty much the rest of the league.
Chalmers made a similar comment about how people feared Kobe, but not Lebron.  I mean I suppose Lebron wouldn't elbow you in the head and trash talk to you death, but basically every great player in the 2010's went or stayed in the Western Conference even though everyone knew the Western Conference was the overall stronger conference.  I think you'd probably hear the same thing about Wilt and Bill in the 60's, yet one of those guy led his team to the Finals 8 straight years, and the other did not.   So yeah, maybe in the game you feared Wilt more than Bill, but you also knew you could beat Wilt, while you couldn't beat Bill (and the team also factors in).  So I'd believe a guy like Chalmers or Parsons dreaded playing Kobe or Durant more than Lebron, but Lebron was better and you knew you had no shot at beating him (unless you were an all time great player yourself).

« Reply #2679 on: March 22, 2023, 09:24:32 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Chalmers made a similar comment about how people feared Kobe, but not Lebron.  I mean I suppose Lebron wouldn't elbow you in the head and trash talk to you death, but basically every great player in the 2010's went or stayed in the Western Conference even though everyone knew the Western Conference was the overall stronger conference.  I think you'd probably hear the same thing about Wilt and Bill in the 60's, yet one of those guy led his team to the Finals 8 straight years, and the other did not.   So yeah, maybe in the game you feared Wilt more than Bill, but you also knew you could beat Wilt, while you couldn't beat Bill (and the team also factors in).  So I'd believe a guy like Chalmers or Parsons dreaded playing Kobe or Durant more than Lebron, but Lebron was better and you knew you had no shot at beating him (unless you were an all time great player yourself).

How much would 6-2 Mario Chalmers even have matched up on LeBron, even in practice when they were on the same team together for four years?

That said, I think perimeter defenders would more dread defending a guy who’d just shoot over your defense, rather than someone like LeBron who will drive past you, but for whom you’re more likely to have help at the rim.  They get less embarrassed on a personal level, even if they haven’t done any better if a job guarding him.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:49:47 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #2680 on: March 22, 2023, 09:26:44 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
What a weird statement to make lol prime LeBron could get to the rim at will when he needed. Once he became a better shooter he was impossible to guard. Then he started dissecting a defense and you just hoped he ran out of gas. Durant nor anyone else could put that kind of pressure on your defense.

« Reply #2681 on: March 22, 2023, 11:40:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Sixers next 6 games are @CHI, @GSW, @PHO, @DEN, DAL, TOR

They also still have games left against MIL, BOS and MIA to close out the season.

I'm confident we'll retain the 2 seed at least. We're currently 1 game up on them as is and already have the tiebreaker. Of course, beating them head-to-head again would help us a lot, but I think PHI has some more losses coming up. If BOS figures it out and finishes the season solid, they should be good for the 2 seed.

I also think the 2 seed is preferable to the 3 seed not just because of HCA, but first round opponent. I fully expect MIA to pass BKN and become the 6 seed. I'd rather face a team like BKN/ATL/TOR first round than MIA
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2682 on: March 22, 2023, 02:52:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yikes. Not good for the Clippers

BREAKING: Paul George has a sprained right knee and will be re-evaluated in 2-to-3 weeks.

George will likely miss the remainder of the 2022-23 season & may miss the start of the playoffs.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2683 on: March 22, 2023, 04:14:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Yikes. Not good for the Clippers

BREAKING: Paul George has a sprained right knee and will be re-evaluated in 2-to-3 weeks.

George will likely miss the remainder of the 2022-23 season & may miss the start of the playoffs.
that is a lot better news than it could have been.

« Reply #2684 on: March 22, 2023, 04:29:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Death, taxes, & Clippers injuries.