Author Topic: Is Grant a goner? (Yes: Traded to DAL for second rounders)  (Read 74171 times)

Re: Is Grant a goner?
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2022, 02:46:51 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year?
Why would signing someone at the tail end of his career signal that we are moving on from a young player whose timeline matches our stars?

Because of the salary cap. Gallo is 33, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s at the tail end of his career considering many players are still going strong in their late 30’s. Danilo is making under $7M/year. Grant could command $10M-12M/season. I’m not sure he’s worth that kind of money.

Gallo has a player option.  If he has a good year, he’ll decline it and be an unrestricted free agent the Celtics could only offer $7.8 million to, which would likely be exceeded by other teams. If he has not good year, he’ll pick up the option but clearly be behind Grant in the rotation.

So you say that Gallo is clearly behind Grant in the rotation, but if Danilo has a good year he would decline his player option and become an UFA. How is he going to have a good year statistically if he is behind Grant in the PF depth chart. Again, why would Brad spend the MLE on a 3rd string player. It doesn’t make sense.

Why would Brad spend the MLE on a 3rd string player? Because he had an MLE and that is one the teams primary needs at the moment. Almost everything else is covered. Al and Robert Williams are expected to miss games, so when either is out, that 3rd string needs to play real minutes.

This offseason isn't over. Stevens may not do anything else, but if the team gets a bigger opportunity, I expect him to take a shot.

Right, they will miss games. Kornet is the backup and him getting “real minutes” is less than ideal. Why not use the MLE on a Center, which was clearly an area of need. The C’s already have Al as the starting PF, Grant as the backup and Tatum can play some minutes at that position as well. Gallo is going to get owned if/when he has to play the 5 and Grant does not do well at that position either.

Gonna echo John Karalis.

Might make sense to do it after you've seen how this team runs. If in a pinch Gallo ends up fitting in as a 4, and Grant a 5, maybe we'd just need a situational big that can bruise, for example. But if nobody can play the 5, then maybe we'd need someone more versatile.

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2022, 08:50:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Grant a 5

Is a recipe for disaster, he is fine as a 3 and 4.   He can't rim protect, and can't rebound.

It is time to put that to rest.  Grant realized this and transformed his body and found success and minutes so he could play on the wing.

That being said, he might still be a better option at the five than Kornet but it is not his ideal position.  We need a quality back up big.  Rob is fragile, Al is old and Grant is too small for the five.

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2022, 09:26:15 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Does the Gallo signing signal that the C’s will be moving on from Grant Williams, as he will be a RFA this time next year?
Why would signing someone at the tail end of his career signal that we are moving on from a young player whose timeline matches our stars?

Because of the salary cap. Gallo is 33, so I’m not sure it’s fair to say he’s at the tail end of his career considering many players are still going strong in their late 30’s. Danilo is making under $7M/year. Grant could command $10M-12M/season. I’m not sure he’s worth that kind of money.

There are no NBA players in the late 30s, "still going strong", other than Lebron, and he's slowing down. The handful of players still on rosters in their late 30s are generally next to useless. The guys just getting to their late 30s, Chris Paul, PJ Tucker, a few others, are in serious decline.

Lebron, CP3, Horford, Carmelo Anthony, PJ Tucker, Rajon Rondo, Dwight Howard.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2022, 09:50:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

There are no NBA players in the late 30s, "still going strong", other than Lebron, and he's slowing down. The handful of players still on rosters in their late 30s are generally next to useless. The guys just getting to their late 30s, Chris Paul, PJ Tucker, a few others, are in serious decline.

This is a list of players that are still going but I am not sure how strong.  It is hard to compare Gallinari to LeBron or Chris Paul, those are hall of fame player who even if at 75% of their peak level, they are still pretty "strong" players.  75% of Gallinari is something very different.

And the rest of this pretty short list is not much of an endorsement for relying on players in their late 30s.

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2022, 10:06:23 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

This is a list of players that are still going but I am not sure how strong.  It is hard to compare Gallinari to LeBron or Chris Paul, those are hall of fame player who even if at 75% of their peak level, they are still pretty "strong" players.  75% of Gallinari is something very different.

And the rest of this pretty short list is not much of an endorsement for relying on players in their late 30s.

PJ Tucker is 37 and he just signed a 3 year deal for $33M, fully guaranteed. Gallo is 33.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 10:13:31 AM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2022, 11:53:47 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

PJ Tucker is 37 and he just signed a 3 year deal for $33M, fully guaranteed. Gallo is 33.
Having a contract and "going strong" are 2 different things. IMO, PJT is a below average NBA player. Rajon Rondo, Dwight Howard, Melo, all these guys are washed up and just collecting a paycheck. None of them see the floor on a team with any depth at all.

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2022, 12:06:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Having a contract and "going strong" are 2 different things. IMO, PJT is a below average NBA player. Rajon Rondo, Dwight Howard, Melo, all these guys are washed up and just collecting a paycheck. None of them see the floor on a team with any depth at all.

If you are in a teams rotation, which all of those players were last year, that’s going strong when you are in your mid to late 30’s, Imo.

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2022, 01:00:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Signing a 34 year old who has 1 year and a player option likely means almost nothing for Grant's future, besides the fact that Grant may be a little annoyed the c's signed a guy who might cut into his minutes in a contract year.

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2022, 04:51:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Signing a 34 year old who has 1 year and a player option likely means almost nothing for Grant's future, besides the fact that Grant may be a little annoyed the c's signed a guy who might cut into his minutes in a contract year.
[/b]

As he should be, his minutes are going to go down. Well, it will be interesting to see whether he signs an extension or not over the next few months. My gut says he won’t and like Smart did earlier in his career, Grant will test the waters as a RFA.

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2022, 05:08:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Wrong thread… :P

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2022, 05:17:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJD!

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2022, 05:24:43 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Grant can guard Giannis. He is safe!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2022, 05:32:05 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
[/b]

As he should be, his minutes are going to go down. Well, it will be interesting to see whether he signs an extension or not over the next few months. My gut says he won’t and like Smart did earlier in his career, Grant will test the waters as a RFA.

I'd keep an eye on Gallo's weight. He got too heavy last year and really couldn't move his feet. I'm guessing his fitness will be a major factor in how much and how well he plays. If he's really serious he'll show up in better shape

I doubt he plays so much that Grant plays less. The C's are going to want to manage Robert Williams and Al Horford's time more carefully next year. Theis is gone. The minutes are probably there.

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2022, 11:35:46 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Boston found a value deal with Robert Williams III just last August, extending the Celtics’ starting center for four years, $48 million plus incentives. Cap experts contacted by B/R projected that that salary range can set a benchmark for Grant Williams’ negotiations, but rival executives are skeptical that Boston will be willing to spend much greater a dollar amount on Grant than for Robert.  – via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2022, 11:59:04 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Boston found a value deal with Robert Williams III just last August, extending the Celtics’ starting center for four years, $48 million plus incentives. Cap experts contacted by B/R projected that that salary range can set a benchmark for Grant Williams’ negotiations, but rival executives are skeptical that Boston will be willing to spend much greater a dollar amount on Grant than for Robert.  – via Jake Fischer @ Bleacher Report
They’d be dumb to give Grant Williams $12 mil per. He’s like a poor man’s PJ Tucker.