Author Topic: Best starting lineups?  (Read 1340 times)

Best starting lineups?
« on: July 20, 2022, 02:44:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bleacher Report ranks the top 10 starting lineups as:

1.  Warriors
2.  Celtics
3.  76ers
4.  Clippers
5.  Nuggets
6.  Nets
7.  Suns
8.  Twolves
9. Bucks
10. Grizzlies

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10041846-ranking-every-nba-starting-lineup-after-2022-free-agency

Bucks in 9th was good for a chuckle.  What say you?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Best starting lineups?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 02:58:40 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Things that struck me:

Most of the top line ups include two traditional bigs, others a big and a swing.  I am not seeing too many of the 1-big line ups that I keep hearing are the new norm.

BKN has Simmons starting at Center.  Wow.  I don't see that working.

Philly will be interesting now that they have PJ Tucker to play PF and Harris can play as a wing.  It will be interesting to see how that goes.  And of course how good Harden is.

MIN could be a sleeper.

Not sure MIL is as bad as 9th but they have some questions.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 03:02:30 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I say it's unfortunate our starting lineup only got to play together in 12 of 24 games last playoffs.

With regard to the Bucks, it's not clear what their starting lineup is.  They have Grayson Allen in there at the 2, and while he started most games during the regular season, he came off the bench for the majority of the playoffs.  I'd put them above Minnesota tho, that's silly.  Numbers 4-6 all have big question marks of guys who were out most or all of last season (Kawhi, Wall, and George, Murray and Porter Jr, and Simmons and Harris), and I do think there's a little bias towards thinking "if only these teams were healthy last year."  The Bucks probably deserve to be above the Nets also.  I'm fine with most of the rest of them.

I guess mine would be:

Warriors
Celtics
6ers
Clippers
Nuggets
Suns
Bucks
Nets
Grizzlies
Wolves

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 03:02:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Things that struck me:

Most of the top line ups include two traditional bigs, others a big and a swing.  I am not seeing too many of the 1-big line ups that I keep hearing are the new norm.

Philly will be interesting now that they have PJ Tucker to play PF and Harris can play as a wing.  It will be interesting to see how that goes.  And of course how good Harden is.

MIN could be a sleeper.

Philly has tried to play Harris as a wing before - when they had Al - and it didn't work. I don't see it working now.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 03:07:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Things that struck me:

MIN could be a sleeper.

Philly has tried to play Harris as a wing before - when they had Al - and it didn't work. I don't see it working now.

They apparently thought the problem was Horford, not Harris.  I don't expect Harris to break out or anything but I think he is better suited to play as a true wing.  That is a solid starting line up, even with Maxey.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 03:09:58 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Things that struck me:

MIN could be a sleeper.

They apparently thought the problem was Horford, not Harris.  I don't expect Harris to break out or anything but I think he is better suited to play as a true wing.  That is a solid starting line up, even with Maxey.

Hmm. I think he's best as a stretch four because his foot speed isn't that great. Maybe Tucker's defensive versatility makes it work better? It'll be an experiment for sure.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 03:26:30 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Questioning the Clippers so high.

4 guys over 30.  2 of which haven't played in over a year.  Genuinely curious as to how that's going to play out over the season.

A healthy prime Kawhi/George can carry any lineup though, but are we still going to be seeing prime Kawhi?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 04:20:22 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Questioning the Clippers so high.

4 guys over 30.  2 of which haven't played in over a year.  Genuinely curious as to how that's going to play out over the season.

A healthy prime Kawhi/George can carry any lineup though, but are we still going to be seeing prime Kawhi?

The Warriors have a bunch of guys over 30 and they just one the whole thing.  It’s a crapshoot, I suppose.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 04:24:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Bucks at 9 in ridiculous.  They have the best player in the world.  2 other all star level players, a veteran starting center that has been there for years, and a pesky shooter in the last spot.  They basically won the title with that lineup and may have last year had Middleton not gotten hurt.  Golden State is probably the only team I'm confident in saying wouldn't swap their starting 5 with the Bucks right now (others might not, but they'd certainly think about it). 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 04:44:02 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 04:42:33 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
The Bucks at 9 in ridiculous.  They have the best player in the world.  2 other all star level players, a veteran starting center that has been there fore years, and a pesky shooter in the last spot.  They basically won the title with that lineup and may have last year had Middleton not gotten hurt.  Golden State is probably the only team I'm confident in saying wouldn't swap their starting 5 with the Bucks right now (others might not, but they'd certainly think about it).

I agree. That’s asinine. You could make an argument that the Bucks should be #1.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 08:22:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I am really quite blown away at Minnesota being ahead of Milwaukee. Hilarious. No idea why the Clippers are so high too, particularly over Milwaukee and Denver.

I think ours is the best though. We saw what our starting lineup was capable of for a couple of months last season. Assuming health, ours is the best
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 10:27:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Interesting that the #1 team in the EC last season didn't make the top 10 list. I know Herro doesn't count because he is the 6th man, but I guess they aren't that high on Butler/Bam.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 10:46:48 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Interesting that the #1 team in the EC last season didn't make the top 10 list. I know Herro doesn't count because he is the 6th man, but I guess they aren't that high on Butler/Bam.

It’s tough to know what Miami’s starting lineup will be without Tucker (as the article points out, he was in 9 of their 10 most-used lineups last season).  They’re projecting Lowry, Strus, Robinson, Butler, and Adebayo, which is rather wanting.  But it also shows how Miami could be in a bit of trouble.  They lost Tucker and didn’t replace him.