Author Topic: Ime needs to be smarter with his challenges  (Read 1087 times)

Ime needs to be smarter with his challenges
« on: June 08, 2022, 03:27:42 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I would say this is a critique of most NBA coaches, but the prevailing wisdom that you should save your challenge until late in the game is very flawed.  The first is that by that time it might not matter.

I think the situation needs to dictate when a challenge is used.  Case in point in game 2 on Jaylen's phantom call on GPII that led to his second foul and his sitting.  If you have a chance to overturn a call against one of your superstars that will keep him on the court, YOU HAVE TO USE IT.  Also, the fact that it likely would have saved them 2 points, it was a clear time to use it.  It turns out Payton missed both shots, so, in retrospect, that wasn't a factor.  But, the point is that you should always try to keep your superstars out of foul trouble.

Re: Ime needs to be smarter with his challenges
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 03:37:55 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
I would say this is a critique of most NBA coaches, but the prevailing wisdom that you should save your challenge until late in the game is very flawed.  The first is that by that time it might not matter.

I think the situation needs to dictate when a challenge is used.  Case in point in game 2 on Jaylen's phantom call on GPII that led to his second foul and his sitting.  If you have a chance to overturn a call against one of your superstars that will keep him on the court, YOU HAVE TO USE IT.  Also, the fact that it likely would have saved them 2 points, it was a clear time to use it.  It turns out Payton missed both shots, so, in retrospect, that wasn't a factor.  But, the point is that you should always try to keep your superstars out of foul trouble.

He has been on a bad run with the challenges in the playoffs so far. Though he got a raw deal with a couple of them, especially in the Milwaukee series.

Agree sometimes it is important to use one early. Especially if it brings greater attention to terrible officiating when the momentum is swinging.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 03:39:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The problem with the Jaylen call is that the coaches don’t have the benefit of getting all the angles we have on TV in a short time.  Jaylen didn’t touch him, but he was pretty close to the jersey, and they would uphold it with even the slightest contact.  There’s little way the coaches could have had a conclusive view from the sidelines on that.

Also, Payton missed both free throws IIRC, so it wouldn’t have even saved them points at the line.

Yeah, Ime is not the best with his challenges.  No, this is not a great example of that.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 04:09:05 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Challenges are one of those things that can be easily second guessed because when we do so we have the benefit of video replay and usually we evaluate it at the end of the game, after seeing any number of incidents that could be challenged. Coaches have to decide on the spur of the moment.

That said, yes Ime hasn't done a great job of deciding whether or not to challenge, given those constraints. But I look at challenges as a bonus...even now I still don't exactly know why some succeed and some fail.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 04:25:43 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
They need to update the rule---if you Win your challenge, you get it back...but only one time...The way it is now-you get penalized by winning or losing your challenge early.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
They need to update the rule---if you Win your challenge, you get it back...but only one time...The way it is now-you get penalized by winning or losing your challenge early.

Definitely agree. That is why you never see challenges in the 1st half because coach is worried he will need it late. This often times may be a foul on your star player which makes you sit that player and it hurts the overall game.

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 08:06:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've long argued that you should get one per half, and if you get it correct the first time you keep it and the timeout (so, potentially two a half).

Emphasise this and empowering the video officials as independent overseers would help I reckon. Cut down on the endless of reviews of "potential flagrant / hostile act" to offset the potential slowing down of the game.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 08:08:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I would go further:  you get to keep your challenge so long as you’re successful.  If a team challenges five calls, but they were all clearly bad, I think fans would prefer that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 08:12:27 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

I would go further:  you get to keep your challenge so long as you’re successful.  If a team challenges five calls, but they were all clearly bad, I think fans would prefer that.

I agree.  Also, I would allow one failed challenge per half.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 08:13:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Adam Silver and his obsession with "speeding up the game" would probably never allow it.

Here's an idea to speed up games - tip off at the actual tip off time!

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 09:24:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Adam Silver and his obsession with "speeding up the game" would probably never allow it.

Yep.  And when a ref thinks there's a technical foul, call it, rather than spending five minutes to come up with "he was defending himself" or "it was Draymond's second, so he can get away with it this time".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 09:29:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I've long argued that you should get one per half, and if you get it correct the first time you keep it and the timeout (so, potentially two a half).

Emphasise this and empowering the video officials as independent overseers would help I reckon. Cut down on the endless of reviews of "potential flagrant / hostile act" to offset the potential slowing down of the game.

I've always thought it should be one per half. If I'm a coach, there's almost no way I'm using a challenge in the 1st half of a crucial playoff game.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 09:53:59 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Wouldn't that open the door to more interpretation by the refs and more gaming of the system by coaches favored by the league

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 10:16:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yep.  And when a ref thinks there's a technical foul, call it, rather than spending five minutes to come up with "he was defending himself" or "it was Draymond's second, so he can get away with it this time".
5 minutes of deliberation all to conclude that the initial call was correct. Hooray!