Author Topic: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion  (Read 66871 times)

Re: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion
« Reply #435 on: May 22, 2022, 12:17:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I get basketball is a game of runs, but it frustrates me to no end how this team just chokes away so many big games at bad moments.

For example, 2018 Game 7 ECF Tatum dunks over Lebron to cut the deficit to 2 and momentum is on our side. C's immediately give up a run which allows Cleveland to ice the game anyways. You have last night, Jaylen hits the 3 to make it 93-92, and they immediately give up a 7-0 run and Miami goes up 8 and ices it. Even 1.5 weeks ago, C's go up 105-99 vs. MIL at home with momentum, and then the game ends on an 11-2 MIL run in the final 90 seconds. Thankfully the C's recovered and won that series, but man they just make it so much harder for themselves with their dumb play at crucial moments. 

Even in the bubble, it felt like 3 of their losses came with them coming back to tie or take the lead, but then Miami closed it out on runs to sap all the momentum and won (Games 1, 2 and 4)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #436 on: May 22, 2022, 01:17:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Saw a tweet from ESPN Stats & Info:

The Heat have won just 2 quarters this series, winning those quarters by a combined 46 points. Miami is the 1st team in NBA postseason history to win just 2 quarters in the first 3 games and have a series lead.

I can't tell if I should feel good or bad about this. On the one hand, it feels like this could mean the Celtics have blown their chance at a couple of wins and that will ultimately lead to them losing the series. On the other hand, it feels like this means the Celtics are actually the better team and the better team usually prevails.

I just don't know.

I guess if they don't start taking care of the ball and maintaining focus for a full game the Heat will definitely win anyways.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #437 on: May 22, 2022, 01:22:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Saw a tweet from ESPN Stats & Info:

The Heat have won just 2 quarters this series, winning those quarters by a combined 46 points. Miami is the 1st team in NBA postseason history to win just 2 quarters in the first 3 games and have a series lead.

I can't tell if I should feel good or bad about this. On the one hand, it feels like this could mean the Celtics have blown their chance at a couple of wins and that will ultimately lead to them losing the series. On the other hand, it feels like this means the Celtics are actually the better team and the better team usually prevails.

I just don't know.

I guess if they don't start taking care of the ball and maintaining focus for a full game the Heat will definitely win anyways.

It's one of those things where we could look back and laugh on it IF the C's actually win the next two in a row. If not though, then we're going to rue it for a long time just like the Bubble season.

I wouldn't make judgements yet, but so far it definitely isn't encouraging. I will say though, Game 1 was without Horford + Smart so I guess you can understand it more. Last night was more pathetic though.

« Reply #438 on: May 22, 2022, 01:46:16 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
John Karalis 🇬🇷 🇺🇦
@John_Karalis
Ime says says Marcus Smart had a pretty bad sprain. Unsure about tomorrow. Tatum is fine. Robert Williams has improved
12:36 PM · May 22, 2022·Twitter for Android

https://twitter.com/john_karalis/status/1528429608844025859?s=21&t=AyBGI-wyRa7sA9GGR2jVSA

« Reply #439 on: May 22, 2022, 01:58:04 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Chris Fosberg:

Boston turned the ball over on 25.5 percent of its 94 possessions on Saturday night. Think about that. Once every four times down the court, the Celtics essentially handed the ball to Miami. The Heat didn’t even fully capitalize on those giveaways, though a 33-9 edge in points off turnovers is still a jarring difference.

« Reply #440 on: May 24, 2022, 10:17:28 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Still think Jaylen is due for a big game which encompasses an all-around effort. Yes he scored 40 in Game 3 but he also turned the ball over like every other possession and looked awful for some stretches, including on defense.

Struggled last night, but I believe in Jaylen to have a big game tomorrow night in Game 5  ;D

« Reply #441 on: May 24, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If the Celtics just focus on their elite half court defense, and minimize turnovers, and have Rob Williams playing, they should win this series. They proved last night they can stink in shooting and still dominate the other team.

« Reply #442 on: May 24, 2022, 10:44:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Still think Jaylen is due for a big game which encompasses an all-around effort. Yes he scored 40 in Game 3 but he also turned the ball over like every other possession and looked awful for some stretches, including on defense.

Struggled last night, but I believe in Jaylen to have a big game tomorrow night in Game 5  ;D
Jaylen gets unfair slights that Jayson doesn't. Everyone is using his turnovers the other night to caveat his 40 points game.

"Oh Jaylen was great....but...."

Jayson has had multiple games this postseason with 20+ and 30+ points with 5, 6 and 7 turnovers and you just don't hear the caveats when dealing with him.

Jayson has a real turnover issue this post season averaging 4.2 turnovers per game with Jaylen having 2.8. But you just don't have people on this site using that caveat to describe Tatum's game. People barely b!tch in the game threads about Tatum's turnovers.

Celtics had 9 turnovers last night. Jayson had 3 of those but no one said boo. Jaylen had 1 last night and people complained about it. Jaylen had 2 turnovers for like five straight games and people were complaining in every one of those games about his turnovers. Tatum 3 TOs.....crickets. I don't get it

Why is Jaylen Brown this team's whipping boy?

« Reply #443 on: May 24, 2022, 10:57:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Jaylen gets unfair slights that Jayson doesn't. Everyone is using his turnovers the other night to caveat his 40 points game.

Jayson has had multiple games this postseason with 20+ and 30+ points with 5, 6 and 7 turnovers and you just don't hear the caveats when dealing with him.

Jayson has a real turnover issue this post season averaging 4.2 turnovers per game with Jaylen having 2.8. But you just don't have people on this site using that caveat to describe Tatum's game. People barely b!tch in the game threads about Tatum's turnovers.

Celtics had 9 turnovers last night. Jayson had 3 of those but no one said boo. Jaylen had 1 last night and people complained about it. Jaylen had 2 turnovers for like five straight games and people were complaining in every one of those games about his turnovers. Tatum 3 TOs.....crickets. I don't get it

People complain plenty about JT.  He took a lot of criticism for his turnovers in Game 1, and there's a thread on here calling him out for all of his complaining.  And, in the game thread he took plenty of heat for his poor performance in Game 3.

I think the reason people are adding a caveat to JB's 40 is because we lost the game, and the reason we lost was largely due to turnovers.  There are a relatively small handful of fans who don't like the guy (because he's seen as a rival to JT?  Because of his social justice views?), but I think he's a pretty popular player.

Also, in terms of context, you can't compare just raw turnover numbers.  JT has the ball a lot more, and he also generates way more scoring opportunities for his teammates.  I'm too lazy to look, but I suspect that Tatum has had a better assist to turnover ratio.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:04:14 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #444 on: May 24, 2022, 11:19:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

People complain plenty about JT.  He took a lot of criticism for his turnovers in Game 1, and there's a thread on here calling him out for all of his complaining.  And, in the game thread he took plenty of heat for his poor performance in Game 3.

I think the reason people are adding a caveat to JB's 40 is because we lost the game, and the reason we lost was largely due to turnovers.  There are a relatively small handful of fans who don't like the guy (because he's seen as a rival to JT?  Because of his social justice views?), but I think he's a pretty popular player.

Also, in terms of context, you can't compare just raw turnover numbers.  JT has the ball a lot more, and he also generates way more scoring opportunities for his teammates.
When you look at usage percentage, turnover percentage, assist to turnover ratio.....the players are almost identical. What you hear about is Jaylen. Tatum barely ever gets the complaints about the turnovers except in the loss in game three and, I am convinced it's only because he scored 10 points instead of 20+.

Also, maybe you don't follow the game threads closely. If I were to go back and count actual posts complaining about the two players for this playoffs, the number would be massively in Tatum's favor of not having as many complaints. The numbers aren't close

Sure, maybe it's all the same people saying the same thing EVERY game thread because, as you mention, a group here just don't like the guy, but I think it goes a bit beyond that.

« Reply #445 on: May 24, 2022, 11:21:21 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Okay, I've done my complaining about this. I will stop for these playoffs.

« Reply #446 on: May 24, 2022, 11:27:38 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
One thing I like about how we’ve done in the playoffs is that we’ve still won even with guys missing time.  In the regular season, when we were healthy we were elite, but when we were down someone all bets were off.  In the postseason, we’ve missed been down at least one core rotation player in 11 of 15 games, and that doesn’t even include Rob’s limited appearances at the end of the Brooklyn series.  Despite that, we’ve found a way to win many of those contests — we’re 8-3 down a man.  The resilience this team somehow found in January is amazing.

« Reply #447 on: May 24, 2022, 11:30:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Eh, speak your mind.

I don't really understand fans who dislike either of them.  I get complaining in the moment; every player is susceptible to being a bonehead once in awhile, and fans will vent.  But, to seriously complain about two guys who have All-Star talent, work hard, shoot efficiently, play defense, and seem to get along? 

I'll be ride or die with both of these guys as long as they're Celtics, which will hopefully be for a long, long time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #448 on: May 24, 2022, 11:47:00 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Well I for one hope Tatum is given 2nd team All NBA (not 1st) and that it lights a fire under his ass for game 5.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #449 on: May 24, 2022, 11:48:39 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

Eh, speak your mind.

I don't really understand fans who dislike either of them.  I get complaining in the moment; every player is susceptible to being a bonehead once in awhile, and fans will vent.  But, to seriously complain about two guys who have All-Star talent, work hard, shoot efficiently, play defense, and seem to get along? 

I'll be ride or die with both of these guys as long as they're Celtics, which will hopefully be for a long, long time.

Hear hear. Especially in a league where selfish, non-team-oriented superstars abound and often quit on their teams and submarine situations for their own gain (Harden, Kyrie, Simmons, Anthony Davis, just to name a few glaring examples), we are lucky that our two stars are primarily grounded, hard-working, team players.