Author Topic: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion  (Read 66013 times)

Re: 2021-22 Celtics Playoffs Discussion
« Reply #420 on: May 16, 2022, 03:31:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
 Now that Rob has been declared 100%, do we move him into starting lineup and have Batman return to 6th man role? Bear in mind our first game when Rob went out was home loss v Heat where Grant started. Ime quickly moved Theis into starting lineup and seemed to prefer that. Did not not make sense to do that vs Bucks matchup wise. But I expect Rob to become starter again. I like him slacking off against Butler who can’t hit 3 and roaming paint on defense. If Smart can’t play even more likely that Rob will start (along with White obviously). Hope Smart is okay.

« Reply #421 on: May 16, 2022, 03:38:33 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Now that Rob has been declared 100%, do we move him into starting lineup and have Batman return to 6th man role? Bear in mind our first game when Rob went out was home loss v Heat where Grant started. Ime quickly moved Theis into starting lineup and seemed to prefer that. Did not not make sense to do that vs Bucks matchup wise. But I expect Rob to become starter again. I like him slacking off against Butler who can’t hit 3 and roaming paint on defense. If Smart can’t play even more likely that Rob will start (along with White obviously). Hope Smart is okay.

I might start Grant if Smart is out.  Smart’s not the best shooter, but with White’s struggles from deep this postseason he’s a non-threat from three.  It may make sense to space him and Rob out as much as possible.

« Reply #422 on: May 16, 2022, 03:44:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I might start Grant if Smart is out.  Smart’s not the best shooter, but with White’s struggles from deep this postseason he’s a non-threat from three.  It may make sense to space him and Rob out as much as possible.

I don't think we need to start Rob.  We can go with Grant.  His match up with be PJ Tucker.  I don't think it has anything to do with Smart or not.

« Reply #423 on: May 17, 2022, 03:23:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Players in NBA playoff history, under 25 years old, with…

PTS ≥ 1,100
TRB ≥ 350
AST ≥ 125
FG% ≥ .475

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Shaquille O’Neal
Jaylen Brown

—————————

Source: Boston Sports Info
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #424 on: May 17, 2022, 03:41:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Players in NBA playoff history, under 25 years old, with…

PTS ≥ 1,100
TRB ≥ 350
AST ≥ 125
FG% ≥ .475

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Magic Johnson
Shaquille O’Neal
Jaylen Brown

—————————

Source: Boston Sports Info
Bad info unless they meant 25 years old and under. Brown put up a bunch of those totals this year when he hit 25, so clearly didn't do it while being under 25.

« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2022, 04:42:35 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Perusing the Heat subreddit, and found this comment that I thought was hilarious because of how accurate it seems about some of our opinions.

If you ask a good chunk of Celtics fans they have 7 DPOYS and an unstoppable offense lm*o.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #426 on: May 17, 2022, 04:44:26 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Perusing the Heat subreddit, and found this comment that I thought was hilarious because of how accurate it seems about some of our opinions.

If you ask a good chunk of Celtics fans they have 7 DPOYS and an unstoppable offense lm*o.

That Heat subreddit is going to find out how right we all are in 4 hours!

« Reply #427 on: May 17, 2022, 04:44:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I don't think we need to start Rob.  We can go with Grant.  His match up with be PJ Tucker.  I don't think it has anything to do with Smart or not.
Start Rob so Horford can defend Bam and then Grant can take over when he comes in.

Rob will start on Tucker so he can help.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #428 on: May 19, 2022, 10:55:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Every time this team has its back to the wall and there's some adversity, they RESPOND. This is a resilient squad! Huge win tonight and the C's IMO are in the drivers seat. I don't see Miami winning at TD Garden this series and I feel good about the C's taking this series in 6.

I mean, even without Horford + Smart and on a short turnaround from the Bucks series, they nearly stole Game 1 but unfortunately had that almost historically bad 3rd quarter. Doubt that'll happen again
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #429 on: May 20, 2022, 03:47:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Wish I could go to tomorrow's game but already have plans to go to Provincetown with friends. Should be ELECTRIC at TD Garden tomorrow though. Saturday night, 8:30 PM, series tied 1-1 and the C's having HCA and momentum. Also, just an FYI it'll be HOT tomorrow (91 degrees) so be wary of that for those who are going!

« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2022, 03:54:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Wish I could go to tomorrow's game but already have plans to go to Provincetown with friends. Should be ELECTRIC at TD Garden tomorrow though. Saturday night, 8:30 PM, series tied 1-1 and the C's having HCA and momentum. Also, just an FYI it'll be HOT tomorrow (91 degrees) so be wary of that for those who are going!

I hope they have the ice out from under the floor.  With those weather conditions (high dew points), the floor could get slippery with the ice leading to the floor being cold and the cold floor leading to condensation.  I recall in Game 7 there was a lot of slipping and it seemed that in MIA also there have been some awkward falls.

Didn't it used to be that the Celtics had to schedule around the Ice Capades or something when they had a deep playoff run?

« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2022, 11:09:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Brutal loss and very frustrating

But I’ll just put it on the record. I still got C’s in 6 this series

« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2022, 11:48:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

I hope they have the ice out from under the floor.  With those weather conditions (high dew points), the floor could get slippery with the ice leading to the floor being cold and the cold floor leading to condensation.  I recall in Game 7 there was a lot of slipping and it seemed that in MIA also there have been some awkward falls.

Didn't it used to be that the Celtics had to schedule around the Ice Capades or something when they had a deep playoff run?

Guys from both teams were skipping all over the court tonight.  Something is up with that floor

« Reply #433 on: May 21, 2022, 11:53:11 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Brutal loss and very frustrating

But I’ll just put it on the record. I still got C’s in 6 this series

Can we really win 3 straight with this squad playing sloppy/inconsistent ball? Next thing you know, we prob win the next two and somehow lose Game 6 at home.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #434 on: May 22, 2022, 07:48:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
This team, this playoff run, it never seemed to me to be the same level of past title teams.  For example 2008, 1986, those teams were clearly stacked, clearly dominant.  Other teams with recent title runs, GSW, CLE, SAN, MIA, LAL and so on all to me had more dominant rosters during their runs.  The Celtics have produced dominant results since about Jan 2022 but I don't think anyone can say that they seemed on paper to have the same level of dominant personnel as these other recent and not so recent title teams.  I am not sure any team in the NBA this season, or at least of the final 4 teams are that kind of on paper dominant team either, so the Celtics have a tremendous opportunity.

But even considering that.  Considering that this is a young team and not a dominant team in the traditional way, how does the team play so badly against another team that isn't dominant either?  23 turnovers is the box score stat that stands out but they just looked bad, sloppy, like it was a game in November where they are still trying to figure out how to play together, not a playoff game in May.  I had said in another thread that I thought MIA would come out hot, that should have been a surprise to no one.  I also said that getting the late news on RWill would probably throw the team off a little, and maybe it did, I don't know.  But that game was a really bad showing.

Now that my vent if out, I will add that I know that this team did pretty much the same against MIL and still won the series.  They had chances to win games and take command of the series but didn't.  But every time they needed to win, they did.  And MIL may be a better team than MIA, at least they have a better star (although Adebayo was having none of that last night).  So I know this thing is not over by any means.  But we don't have home court and none of our bad games to date were as bad as this last game.  I continue to be confused by this team.  I really still don't feel I know how good they really are.  I have no issue with their effort, they are playing hard, plenty of fight in the team.  Maybe this is just what the team needs to go through in order to become one of those traditionally dominant title teams.  To learn how not to have games like this one.