Author Topic: Report: Celtics won't trade Timelord  (Read 1904 times)

Report: Celtics won't trade Timelord
« on: January 27, 2022, 10:22:08 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Finally... a piece of transactional news that makes me smile. While I don't like the word "untouchable", sounds like the Cs recognize Tatum and Brown aren't their only two young stars:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rumors-celtics-active-in-trade-talks-but-not-expected-to-field-offers-for-robert-williams/

I particularly like Tatum's quote. Williams is our most team friendly player. He makes his teammates better, and had a huge impact on the game without needing the ball. Best yet, he's on a very friendly contract.

(and please don't be preachy about his health. Brown ain't exactly Cal Ripkin either.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 10:56:02 AM by todd_days_41 »

Re: Report: Celtics won't trade Timelord
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Doesn't mean anything.  They're never gonna say, yeah, we want to trade that dude.

Anyway, about 3-5 guys AT MOST are untradeable.  Everyone else; depends on what you get back.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:31:11 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Good news.  I'm sure if Minnesota called and offered KAT for horford and TL he'd be gone.  Glad they will not dump him for a lateral move.  Tl is finally turning into what we all hoped when he was drafted.  Hopefully Romeo or Nesmith is next.  They just need PT.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Only to make room for an absolutely dominant center like AD ,  but one who truly  wants to be on the team with Tater and Brown ….then I m cool ……I guess . LOL   

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 12:32:42 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
... responses missing two basic points so far.

1) What are they supposed to say? No one is "saying" anything. Point is, when teams call, the Cs are open to discussing anyone but Tatum, Brown and RWIII. It's indicative of their commitment to those players, and their likely lack thereof to others.

2) Folks get hung up on the notion of untouchable -- which is exactly why i called it out in the first place.

NBA GMs are a small community, who generally don't like to insult each others intelligence (Ainge, for example, developed a reputation for reaching too far -- or asking his assistants to do so -- in suggested deals, which turned off other GM's and made them want to deal with him less).

Are teams calling up and offering superstars for Williams? No. Is Stevens calling the Bucks and asking for Giannis, or the Nets and asking for Durant? No. The point is: REALISTICALLY speaking, the Cs aren't indulging other teams when Williams name comes up in legit swap discussions.

To me, that's a big plus. Williams should be a core piece. His really good now, and getting better.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 02:30:40 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The Celtics have Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Rob signed until 2024 for less than $95M. There will be room to add another star before then, if it becomes clear that it’s necessary.

Rob will vastly outplay his extension and be extremely valuable to this team. He’s 24, a defensive menace inside and on the perimeter, an elite finisher, a good passer, and he’ll get credit for being one of the best defenders in the NBA, once we start winning. Sacramento wanted no parts of him on the inside, he deters drivers whenever he’s inside.

His jump to 29+ MPG, while maintaining effectiveness/efficiency and health, has greatly improved his value. Only Green, Mobley, and Adebayo have better defensive ratings as Bigs and we’re 4th in defensive rating as a team. We’re 6 games behind 1st, all it will take is one good winning streak for him to start getting the credit he deserves.

I know most are blinded by the current record, but pairing Tatum and Brown with 3 low usage players is a stroke of genius and will only look better with time.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 02:56:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Only to make room for an absolutely dominant center like AD ,  but one who truly  wants to be on the team with Tater and Brown ….then I m cool ……I guess . LOL

I don’t think AD is dominant anymore. Would rather have Timelord going forward for a multitude of reasons.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 02:59:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The Celtics have Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Rob signed until 2024 for less than $95M. There will be room to add another star before then, if it becomes clear that it’s necessary.

Rob will vastly outplay his extension and be extremely valuable to this team. He’s 24, a defensive menace inside and on the perimeter, an elite finisher, a good passer, and he’ll get credit for being one of the best defenders in the NBA, once we start winning. Sacramento wanted no parts of him on the inside, he deters drivers whenever he’s inside.

His jump to 29+ MPG, while maintaining effectiveness/efficiency and health, has greatly improved his value. Only Green, Mobley, and Adebayo have better defensive ratings as Bigs and we’re 4th in defensive rating as a team. We’re 6 games behind 1st, all it will take is one good winning streak for him to start getting the credit he deserves.

I know most are blinded by the current record, but pairing Tatum and Brown with 3 low usage players is a stroke of genius and will only look better with time.

I said at the beginning of the year that I thought Rob's development, and not a trade or free agency signing, presented the best opportunity to get a third star with the J's.  He's not there yet, but I'm encouraged that this looks even more plausible than it did a few months ago.

I'm with you on the starting lineup construction.  I do think we need a higher-usage bench player (that isn't Schroder) as the true #6 man, because one J and four low-usage players is problematic when the other J is taking a breather, or worse, out for the game.  What Jordan Clarkson gives the Jazz, for instance, is huge.  Some of our bench players are pretty efficient, but they're so low-usage it drags down the Js, especially Jaylen, when they share the court.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

I said at the beginning of the year that I thought Rob's development, and not a trade or free agency signing, presented the best opportunity to get a third star with the J's.  He's not there yet, but I'm encouraged that this looks even more plausible than it did a few months ago.

I'm with you on the starting lineup construction.  I do think we need a higher-usage bench player (that isn't Schroder) as the true #6 man, because one J and four low-usage players is problematic when the other J is taking a breather, or worse, out for the game.  What Jordan Clarkson gives the Jazz, for instance, is huge.  Some of our bench players are pretty efficient, but they're so low-usage it drags down the Js, especially Jaylen, when they share the court.

Rob’s health and MPG increase were the biggest questions coming into the season; and he’s done well answering them. He’s a prefect complementary star for this team and a steal with the extension he signed prior to this season.

I’m on board with a non-Schroder high usage bench player. I think Richardson might be ready to become that. His ball handling and playmaking is better than advertised and scores well in advanced metrics. Increasing his and Pritchard’s role might be the way to go for the rest of the season.

If this team doesn’t make real progress, we make a move for Fred VanVleet as that high usage player (though not bench) with Jalen Brunson a distant second.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 04:30:18 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
I said at the beginning of the year that I thought Rob's development, and not a trade or free agency signing, presented the best opportunity to get a third star with the J's.  He's not there yet....

Gonna push back here a bit. He's not? Who is the Cs least replaceable player? I get that "stars" are typically defined by points. But is there a Celtic who is more critical to winning than Rob?

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:33:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I said at the beginning of the year that I thought Rob's development, and not a trade or free agency signing, presented the best opportunity to get a third star with the J's.  He's not there yet....

Gonna push back here a bit. He's not? Who is the Cs least replaceable player? I get that "stars" are typically defined by points. But is there a Celtic who is more critical to winning than Rob?

He’s not a star player, no.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 04:45:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Prior to the last deadline there were trade proposals on this site of Smart and Rob Williams for John Collins.

Now no one worth their salt would dare propose such a trade.

Funny how player values constantly shift over time.   Nature of the sport.  Just a week ago I was ready to trade Marcus Smart for almost anyone, just to get off his contract. Now I wouldn't want to trade him except for an extraordinary return. Not even for Halliburton, frankly.