Poll

What would be your top priority off-season for the starting 5?

A Point Guard
32 (88.9%)
A Power Forward
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Your top priority off-season (with a constraint)  (Read 8840 times)

Re: Your top priority off-season (with a constraint)
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
PF.  PG is still by far the most overrated position in the league.  Aside from Chris Paul last year, when was the last time a team had a PG with a high amount of assists even make the finals.  Sure you have guys like Curry and Irving making the Finals, but those guys are scorers 1st, not passers, and they are elite level scorers.  You don't need the Stockton, Kidd, Nash, etc. level of passer to win.  You need guys that can score and that can be any position.  And frankly until Curry/Irving there were so few PG's that even made the all star team on either team in the Finals.  I think it is less than 5 between Magic and Curry (it is less than 10%).  It has always been the least important position and will continue to be the least important position. 

The Celtics need a PF because then Tatum is at SF which is by far his best position.  That is why Ime keeps starting Horford and Rob, because he knows Tatum is at his best at SF it is just that Horford and Rob aren't a great fit especially with Horford shooting so poorly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2022, 11:23:41 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Who can we get at PF?? 
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 01:39:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
PF.  PG is still by far the most overrated position in the league.  Aside from Chris Paul last year, when was the last time a team had a PG with a high amount of assists even make the finals.  Sure you have guys like Curry and Irving making the Finals, but those guys are scorers 1st, not passers, and they are elite level scorers.  You don't need the Stockton, Kidd, Nash, etc. level of passer to win.  You need guys that can score and that can be any position.  And frankly until Curry/Irving there were so few PG's that even made the all star team on either team in the Finals.  I think it is less than 5 between Magic and Curry (it is less than 10%).  It has always been the least important position and will continue to be the least important position. 

The Celtics need a PF because then Tatum is at SF which is by far his best position.  That is why Ime keeps starting Horford and Rob, because he knows Tatum is at his best at SF it is just that Horford and Rob aren't a great fit especially with Horford shooting so poorly.

Name a team that is currently having a really good season despite not having an accomplished lead playmaker, whether it's a pg or someone else.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 01:48:02 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Tatum is playing mostly at SF this year and having by far the worst year of his career.

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 01:53:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Tatum is playing mostly at SF this year and having by far the worst year of his career.

Yeah, I' having that as a recurring thought over the last few weeks as well.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

because Horford and Rob don't work. 

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2022, 02:14:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Name a team that is currently having a really good season despite not having an accomplished lead playmaker, whether it's a pg or someone else.
well someone else isn't the same thing now is it.  I said PG, not elite wing or other guard.  And there is also a difference between a role player like Lowry or Conley, a ok playmaker like Holiday, and someone like Chris Paul or even a premier scorer like Curry.  Talent ultimately wins championships, but I'd much rather see a proper fitting PF than a PG.

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2022, 02:25:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Not sure I agree with that. The outside shooting is terrible, without question. But his ability to drive the rim and get to the free throw line are way up. His passing is uneven, but he’s trying to do a lot more, and he’s getting blitzed more. Net, the only clear drop is his shooting. Hard to say that’s because he’s at SF.

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2022, 02:39:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Till the day the Sixers trade Simmons, my top priority would always be to create a big 3 of Tatum-Brown-Simmons.

Generally speaking, I reckon we desperately need better ball movement. We could have a use for a pass-first player. He doesn't have to be a star. He doesn't have to be a PG either. For instance, I'd love us to go after Joe Ingles or Kyle Anderson.

This is one of the few plans that the J's may actually work together. Simmons has the weight to actually call for the ball and receive it, and stop the J's from sometimes shooting the team in the foot. Our switch happy coach would be in heaven.

End of the Rob Williams era.

Gotta move on from a non-shooting / garbage man center to a floor spacing center (like Myles Turner). Or small ball with Simmons at center.

It would be pretty cool to see Simmons at center, the Jays at forward and two guards who handle it and shoot. Whether that be as a starting unit or a death lineup ala GSW with Draymond. That lineup would be so tough to matchup with.

I also love the defensive capacity of M.Turner & B.Simmons with the Jays as the 3rd and 4th best defenders in the lineup. That is an amazingly talented defensive unit. They should have excellent offensive chemistry as well as everyone is in their comfort zone and allowed play to their strengths.
I do disagree on Timelord, but I like your thinking on bringing in more defense. I would take M. Turner for the 4 spot, if we can get him without giving up Smart:
1 -TL
2 - Turner
3- Tatum
4 - Brown
5 - Smart

That’s a lineup with plenty of defensive prowess

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 02:59:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Shooting!!!!

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2022, 03:02:20 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Lazy answer is neither in particular.  What the C's need is shooting and lots of it, especially with our style of play.  If we were making our 3's this season, we'd be quite a bit above .500 I'd argue.  I've been a Smart supporter since his rookie year, but he does not fit with Tatum and Brown and needs to be traded.  I'm willing to keep Timelord because he's a good player on a very reasonable contract.

From the PG position we need someone that is willing to push the pace, make quick decisions, keep the ball moving, and hit the open 3.  Can't have Tatum walking the ball up the floor throughout the game - leads to short shot clocks and stagnant offense.  Schroder is obviously lightning quick but there are too many plays where he does not use his speed to his/the team's advantage and he is not a great playmaker.  Need to move on from him.

From the "bigs" position we need versatility and shooting.  Our lack of shooting from all of our bigs, including Horford, is absolutely killing us this season.

Who these players are and how they will be worked into our financial situation I do not know.  But the flaws in our roster are glaringly simple.  I am not willing to give up on the Tatum & Brown combo just yet - while neither are consistent playmakers, the game is also not easy for either of them because of a poor supporting cast.  Too easy to load up the defense against both of them.

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2022, 03:16:35 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Can I add a 3rd answer choice?

A coach…

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Till the day the Sixers trade Simmons, my top priority would always be to create a big 3 of Tatum-Brown-Simmons.

Generally speaking, I reckon we desperately need better ball movement. We could have a use for a pass-first player. He doesn't have to be a star. He doesn't have to be a PG either. For instance, I'd love us to go after Joe Ingles or Kyle Anderson.

This is one of the few plans that the J's may actually work together. Simmons has the weight to actually call for the ball and receive it, and stop the J's from sometimes shooting the team in the foot. Our switch happy coach would be in heaven.

Gotta move on from a non-shooting / garbage man center to a floor spacing center (like Myles Turner). Or small ball with Simmons at center.

It would be pretty cool to see Simmons at center, the Jays at forward and two guards who handle it and shoot. Whether that be as a starting unit or a death lineup ala GSW with Draymond. That lineup would be so tough to matchup with.

I also love the defensive capacity of M.Turner & B.Simmons with the Jays as the 3rd and 4th best defenders in the lineup. That is an amazingly talented defensive unit. They should have excellent offensive chemistry as well as everyone is in their comfort zone and allowed play to their strengths.

I'd rather have Rob Williams than Myles Turner.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2022, 04:55:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A point guard. Whether it's someone like Jalen Brunson, or we can nab a guy like TyTy Washington in the draft (somehow). Getting Brunson and shipping out Smart would be a priority.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2022, 02:10:41 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I do disagree on Timelord, but I like your thinking on bringing in more defense. I would take M. Turner for the 4 spot, if we can get him without giving up Smart:
1 -TL
2 - Turner
3- Tatum
4 - Brown
5 - Smart

That’s a lineup with plenty of defensive prowess

You know what. I'm kind of a fan of that.

Not sure about having TL run around so much as a 4, but maybe we'd be camping in the paint more in that case.