Author Topic: Is the team turning a corner?  (Read 2541 times)

Re: Is the team turning a corner?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 10:58:14 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
As I said a month or so ago, the schedule is so much easier down the stretch and that Boston's record was going to improve significantly as a result. 

Far too often people don't pay attention to the schedule.  We are 10-4 in the last 14.  Schedule gets a bit tougher over the next few weeks, but the team should still be well above .500 the rest of the season.

To this point, the c's haven't beaten a team above the play in who was also healthy since the PHO win on Dec 31st. They've played the very injured Bulls and won, the very injured MIA heat team and won, the healthy sixers and lost.

Hell the only game they've won against a 9th seed or better is last night's CHA game.

Now, to be fair, they weren't healthy for a stretch in the middle of the month as well when they lost to CHA and POR. But still, they have one win against an even average team in the last one.

Also to be fair, they’ve walloped some of the bad/injured teams.  In the last two weeks they’ve had wins of 29, 30, and 53 points.  The wins have looked different.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 11:05:17 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
As I said a month or so ago, the schedule is so much easier down the stretch and that Boston's record was going to improve significantly as a result. 

Far too often people don't pay attention to the schedule.  We are 10-4 in the last 14.  Schedule gets a bit tougher over the next few weeks, but the team should still be well above .500 the rest of the season.

To this point, the c's haven't beaten a team above the play in who was also healthy since the PHO win on Dec 31st. They've played the very injured Bulls and won, the very injured MIA heat team and won, the healthy sixers and lost.

Hell the only game they've won against a 9th seed or better is last night's CHA game.

Now, to be fair, they weren't healthy for a stretch in the middle of the month as well when they lost to CHA and POR. But still, they have one win against an even average team in the last one.

Also to be fair, they’ve walloped some of the bad/injured teams.  In the last two weeks they’ve had wins of 29, 30, and 53 points.  The wins have looked different.

Yeah, this.  We aren't too far removed from losing to Greg f***ing Monroe. 

So blasting teams - even as weak or injured as they may have been lately - is a welcome change from what was going on in December. 

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 11:06:41 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Ya that's a good point, then they squeaked by the 7th seed at home and almost had the exact same collapse they've had a million times this year.

Although I will grant you almost collapsing vs completely collapsing is an improvement.

I'm not saying they aren't better, I happen to think they almost certainly are, in part becuase everyone is healthy and the starting unit is nails when healthy. The question is how much better are they. Good enough to make a run? Or just good enough to beat average or worse teams?

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 11:13:11 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Need more data

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 11:16:17 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Nope
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 11:20:38 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Ya that's a good point, then they squeaked by the 7th seed at home and almost had the exact same collapse they've had a million times this year.

Although I will grant you almost collapsing vs completely collapsing is an improvement.

I'm not saying they aren't better, I happen to think they almost certainly are, in part becuase everyone is healthy and the starting unit is nails when healthy. The question is how much better are they. Good enough to make a run? Or just good enough to beat average or worse teams?

It's a huge improvement, especially since the "almost collapse" was in a game the C's never led by more than 11.  It wasn't one of those 18+ point leads we've dropped a few times.  It was smaller, against a team that is completely capable of going on a 10-0 run in 2 minutes.  Charlotte got on a quick run, made some silly shots, the refs decided that it wasn't a foul when they repeatedly wrapped up the C's to force turnovers, and instead of wilting, the Celtics regrouped and won by driving to the rim instead of hoisting up 3s that clang off the iron.  They didn't need to go to overtime. Haven't seen that much in either of the last two seasons.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2022, 11:27:10 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If we can stay healthy, I feel this team is capable of (i) making the playoffs, (ii) winning first round (dependent on matchup), and (iii) if we get lucky (key injury to opponent, etc.), going further.

If we lose any of our starters (including Al), I doubt we can get past the first round, and may struggle to get through the play-in.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

It's a huge improvement, especially since the "almost collapse" was in a game the C's never led by more than 11.  It wasn't one of those 18+ point leads we've dropped a few times.  It was smaller, against a team that is completely capable of going on a 10-0 run in 2 minutes.  Charlotte got on a quick run, made some silly shots, the refs decided that it wasn't a foul when they repeatedly wrapped up the C's to force turnovers, and instead of wilting, the Celtics regrouped and won by driving to the rim instead of hoisting up 3s that clang off the iron.  They didn't need to go to overtime. Haven't seen that much in either of the last two seasons.

That's true. It seems like the exact type of game they've been losing much more often than winning. So I'll take it as a good sign.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2022, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Health is key in these results, it’ll translate into an elite team/record if the team addresses the rotation, bench, and coaching issues.

The starting lineup is elite; combining the best defense and a top 5 offense. For the record to be what it is (aside from lack of GP together and Overall Min.) suggests that there’s a major drop off when those 5 aren’t sharing the floor TOGETHER.

I suggest the team assemble a full bench unit, run a zone, and run in transition. I want to see Grant, Pritchard, Richardson, Nesmith, and Langford use their legs to run opposing 2nd units and any starters with them into the ground.

If Udoka is asking these kids to play exactly like the 1st unit, they get lost in the responsibilities and lose confidence. Simplify it, zone on defense and run on offense, we’ll see how well other teams do with Nesmith constantly leaking out in transition. If they’re not up to it and don’t project to be, you trade them.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 12:51:08 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I guess if turning the corner means on their way to finding their place as a 6-8 seed v. borderline lottery team then yes.  But turning the corner in terms of being a top team in the East, no.  Last night Charlotte without Gordon erased 3 double-digit leads and it came down to final possessions.  They won which hasn't been the case often enough, but I don't see evidence of this team being in the process of turning into a threat in the conference. 

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
This month is the turning corner. The schedudle is make of some easy games and of some PO teams in the east. East is still very close. But some top teams are still unproven in PO. Bucks and Nets seems to have the better material but both and esp Nets have some flukes.
We have the Jays, they are PO guys and when they were toogether we always advanced. We have Smart, which seem to have a good trajectory and is also a PO guy. We have strong defense, which may give even more intensity in April May

The problem is that 3 weeks ago we were probable sellers, but now it is again a big question. With only 1 week to decide.  If we can flip Schroeder for a usefull stretch 4 and may find a way to take a correct PG sub with byouts, it could be OK. The last weeks made change my mind and it is worth to try something this year. None of the tank song are still realistic.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 01:06:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
if they play this way for another two months or so I might allow myself to believe it means something

over the entire course of this season they are a top 5 defense and an average offense, which is pretty much in line with pre-season expectations.  the fourth quarter execution (or lackthereof) is the main reason for the difference between expectation and reality as far as the actual record.

I don't know if we've really seen a lot of improvement in that area.  they did manage to win last night, but they also found a way to blow an 11 pt lead with just a few minutes remaining.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 01:54:45 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think there's definitely been significant improvement, and I'm not looking at the record, I'm basing it on how the team looks on both defense and offense.

First, their D is really good, especially with Horford and R Williams on the floor together. Remember early on when they couldn't get their switching schemes straight and were leaving shooters (eg Fournier) wide open from 3? That has been cleaned up dramatically and it looks like they're much better connected and are fully executing Udoka's system.

On offense, the ball movement is noticeably better. Early on in the season, even in the wins, they were relying on good 1-on-1 play from Tatum and Brown. Last night was emblematic of the way they've been trending. The ball was getting sprayed all over the floor and it showed with 31 assists. It looks dramatically different from even 2 weeks ago.

With all that said, look at the Eastern standings. The Celtics are very unlikely to crack the top 6 and avoid the play-in. Even with them playing better and with an easier schedule the rest of the way, the most likely way this season ends is with them winning a play-in game and then losing in the first round. That's fine for me. I fully expect them to package Horford, Richardson, and picks and go for a star in the offseason in a bid to contend next year.

I agree with those who are concerned by the short rotations and the lack of playing time for the young bench players. You can't play Tatum 38-40 minutes a night, or R Williams 30-35. And you've got to give some minutes to Langford, Nesmith, and Pritchard here and there.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 02:16:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Maybe after like five years a health corner.  Guys have remain healthy to make noise .

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 04:42:05 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
No. They should be blowing teams out fully healthy. No Hayward last night and they barely squeaked by at home.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)