Author Topic: Cs investigating trade value on Smart, Richardson, and others  (Read 11501 times)

Re: Cs investigating trade value on Smart, Richardson, and others
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2022, 08:04:53 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Jazz site says Jazz interested in Smart. Speculation is that Boston could be interested in Boggie or Mike Conley. Conley would be great fit for us. I cant post link from my phone. Just rumor stuff but makes some sense as Danny has strong link to Smart and Jazz are desperate to improve their offense.

Mike Conley just might be the PG we needed. Trader Danny might hook Trader Brad up

Conley would be great but I don’t understand why the Jazz would move him. He’s a great fit next to Mitchell. I think they need a desperate upstage on the wing, Ingles or Bogs would be the move I think. Ingles is a fan favorite but he could be replaced.

Smart doesn’t really fit with the Jazz either as the need a shooter playing alongside Mitchell and in the lineup with Gobert.

Jerami Grant in Utah would be stellar for them.

Yeah, I am not sure I buy this.  A Smart for Conley trade doesn't make sense for either team in my mind.  The only reason for Utah to trade Conley would be if they are concerned about durability which would be a reasonable concern.  But why would the Celtics want a 34 year old PG with durability issues?

And "Boggie" I assume is Bogdanovich?  If upgrading defense is the goal, maybe Richardson is of interest?  Not sure I see Utah looking to trade Bogdanovich though.

So more likely, Utah is offering the likes of Clarkson or Ingles who could match up (salary) with Smart or Richardson as a way for Utah to get more defense.  I think I am good with Smart and Richardson in this case.

Spot on, Green.

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2022, 08:13:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The only reason for Boston to trade Smart to Utah for Ingles is a salary dump where you get at least a usable player in return.  Given Clarkson's contract, I don't think he'd make sense for Boston.

I'd see if I could get THT from the Lakers.  I like his long term potential a great deal and he is signed to a reasonable contract.

THT, Nunn

for

Smart, Langford

Other small contracts could be included, but I like that general concept and I do think Smart would be appealing to LA even though he isn't a good shooter.  I think they need some of his defensive intensity.  They get a look at Langford or at the very least have a bigger contract to trade for more immediate help. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2022, 10:17:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I volunteer to drive to Boston from Florida just so I can pack up Smart's bags and drive him to the airport to send him to Utah for Mike Conley.

Conley has only missed 5 games this year, is an excellent floor general and hits threes at 43%. He is like the exact type of guy the Jays and this team need.

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2022, 10:27:12 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
While Conley is exactly the type of PG the C's need he's 34yrs old.  Now that is you in terms of age but old in basketball.  The C's need to make deals for players that fit the J's timeline.  Conley has two more years on his contract but how effective will be be at 35 and 36?  We saw how quickly Al declined this year after playing more then he did last year.

Bojan is absolutely the type of shooter the C's need but again he's 32.  I don't think the C's will move Smart for an older vet.  They need players that can grow with the J's not age out in a year or two.

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2022, 10:28:02 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm gaining confidence in Brad Stevens as a GM every time he makes a move. There's a logic and coherence behind each one. He's improved this team more since he took over than the last several years by the former regime (I still don't think Ainge was making those decisions).

He's shown creative use of the salary cap, the ability to get lottery ticket/high upside players on the edges of the roster, the ability to get solid role players for nothing or very little (Richardson, Horford, Kanter), the confidence to invest money in players he believes in (Smart, Richardson, and Williams) regardless of fans approval, and he has patience with young players (Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard, Williams) even though most fans want to trade them, and the ability to cut ties even if the team invested in a player (Parker, Fall).

I expect him to make a bigger move this trade deadline or off-season, but the maneuvering he has made has impressed me thus far.

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2022, 10:29:39 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
A Jazz player for Marcus Smart does make a ton of sense for both sides. The Jazz have perimeter plays like Bogey, Ingles and Conley who can all hit shots and would help the Celtics offense to varying degrees. The Jazz  meanwhile desperately need a perimeter defender. people think of them as a stout defensive team, and they are but its pretty much all because of Gobert. Their big problem in the playoffs is they have ZERO perimeter containment on defense. They are an offensive juggernaut and coudl sacrifice one shooter for some defense and be just fine.

Bg question is which one. If its Ingles they need to send back a pick. He's old, slipping, and expiring. If its Conley. I don't think they'd trade Conley, but he'd be a fit. Although he's old and you worry about slippage. Bogey is the bets of the three, I think c's would need to throw in a pick for him maybe?

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2022, 10:33:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I volunteer to drive to Boston from Florida just so I can pack up Smart's bags and drive him to the airport to send him to Utah for Mike Conley.

Conley has only missed 5 games this year, is an excellent floor general and hits threes at 43%. He is like the exact type of guy the Jays and this team need.

So does that mean that Conley is now suddenly durable and his injury problems are behind him or is this an indication that he is due to have an injury and continue his pattern?

I am not disagreeing that Conley is a pretty good, underrated, player.  He could be good for the Celtics for a few years (at most) but he is also good for Utah right now.  Conley is the kind of player, due to his durability, that has to be "managed".  Utah can do that and still win and hope he is healthy for a couple more playoff runs.  Not sure that is what the Celtics should be signing up for.

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2022, 10:48:49 AM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
Smart for Eric Gordon

or a Schroder and Langford for Gordon in what would have to be some sort of 3 team deal.

I love Gordons stat line, his usage, and his experience. I feel as though he is the missing guy we need. He has a reasonable contract that expires after next season.

Houston needs depth at the 1 and 3.

It may be difficult with the moneys - I guess the real question is... In a trade like this would you rather see Schroder or Richardson go? Ive become a fan of Josh, it seems like he likes it here and is playing well.

Maybe we go Horford and a first for Gordon and Theis!

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2022, 10:51:36 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Jazz site says Jazz interested in Smart. Speculation is that Boston could be interested in Boggie or Mike Conley. Conley would be great fit for us. I cant post link from my phone. Just rumor stuff but makes some sense as Danny has strong link to Smart and Jazz are desperate to improve their offense.

Mike Conley just might be the PG we needed. Trader Danny might hook Trader Brad up

Conley would be great but I don't understand why the Jazz would move him. He's a great fit next to Mitchell. I think they need a desperate upstage on the wing, Ingles or Bogs would be the move I think. Ingles is a fan favorite but he could be replaced.

Smart doesn't really fit with the Jazz either as the need a shooter playing alongside Mitchell and in the lineup with Gobert.

Jerami Grant in Utah would be stellar for them.

Yeah, I am not sure I buy this. A Smart for Conley trade doesn't make sense for either team in my mind. The only reason for Utah to trade Conley would be if they are concerned about durability which would be a reasonable concern. But why would the Celtics want a 34 year old PG with durability issues?

And "Boggie" I assume is Bogdanovich? If upgrading defense is the goal, maybe Richardson is of interest? Not sure I see Utah looking to trade Bogdanovich though.

So more likely, Utah is offering the likes of Clarkson or Ingles who could match up (salary) with Smart or Richardson as a way for Utah to get more defense. I think I am good with Smart and Richardson in this case.
Outside of Gobert, who is DPOY level elite, and Conley and O'neal, both passable, the rest of their main rotation players vary from below average defensively in Ingles and Clarkson to weak in Bogie and Mitchell. The backcourt is very short, with Conley and Mitchell both listed generously as 6-1 (both have been listed as short as 6 ft). Conley's also slight at 175 pounds and may be suitable for guarding  PGs, but would be over his head guarding bigger guards, never mind having Smart's versatility at 6-3 and 220+.

The Jazz are #1 in offense, so adding another shooter doesn't make much sense. Nor does a deal like Ingles, a Celtics salary dump for an expiring contract. Why Boston would do a dump for Smart is beyond me; never mind, throw in draft capital for a player the Jazz could certainly use.

As the Jazz forum moderator at RealGM posted as to the mystery Jazz trade bait:

My guess would be Conley, as they both play the same position, and the Jazz are the ones who want further compensations. We don't have any other players that will command further compensation from the other team (excluding Gobert and Mitchell) for an exchange of players on Smart's level.

Jazz fans think the whole rumor of a potential trade for Smart is plausible because of their defensive issues, Smart's fit, AND Danny's love of Smart.

That being said, it's still a rumor by a sports podcaster with an unnamed source. It just isn't as stupid on the face of it as most trade rumors.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:59:46 AM by colincb »

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2022, 10:56:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

With Smart!?
He probably meant defence lol, it's just a typo.

Yes, late night typo on my phone. Defense of course. Sorry about that.

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
While Conley is exactly the type of PG the C's need he's 34yrs old.  Now that is you in terms of age but old in basketball.  The C's need to make deals for players that fit the J's timeline.  Conley has two more years on his contract but how effective will be be at 35 and 36?  We saw how quickly Al declined this year after playing more then he did last year.

Bojan is absolutely the type of shooter the C's need but again he's 32.  I don't think the C's will move Smart for an older vet.  They need players that can grow with the J's not age out in a year or two.

Age scared people away from Chris Paul. How did that turn out? He'll be 37 in May.

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2022, 11:54:29 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Age scared people away from Chris Paul. How did that turn out? He'll be 37 in May.

Chris Paul is one of the greatest PG's of all time. Even at an older age he had a lot more room for slippage. Make no mistake, Mike Conley is a big risk.

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2022, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Exactly, and I have never bought into the whole "player timeline" thing. Check out the NBA champions of the last 20-30 years. Their stars that drove the title run were usually over 26 years old but the rotation included players from rookie to old man ages. You do not have to have all your players be around the same age. It's a complete fallacy.

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2022, 12:01:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Nonsense rumour. No way Utah who are right there on the precipice of winning a Championship blow up their team and trade an All-Star well rounded PG in Mike Conley for a defensive combo guard whose offense sucks.

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2022, 12:08:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Nonsense rumour. No way Utah who are right there on the precipice of winning a Championship blow up their team and trade an All-Star well rounded PG in Mike Conley for a defensive combo guard whose offense sucks.

Yeah it seems like it makes less sense for Utah who is already in the mix, than it does for the C's.  But maybe they need def and intangibles more than scoring?