Author Topic: Cs investigating trade value on Smart, Richardson, and others  (Read 11499 times)

Re: Cs investigating trade value on Smart, Richardson, and others
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 05:21:16 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1483482058009812994

not a shock its what BS should be doing

WOJ on ESPN.com

“Marcus Smart, some of the young players on the roster, the second or third year guards and forwards, I think they are seeing what the value for those players is out there, Josh Richardson, Dennis Schroder. I think those are all players available in the marketplace,” Wojnarowski said. “They still want to find another playmaker, wing player to complement the two All-Star forwards.”

This is a perfect example of how Woj couches his "non-Woj Bombs" - the ones that are his opinion and not actual scoops. It's a great way to say absolutely nothing other than what the GM would already be doing anyway. Checking the value of current players in the marketplace - check. Looking for another playmaker or wing - check.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 07:01:28 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

WOJ on ESPN.com

“Marcus Smart, some of the young players on the roster, the second or third year guards and forwards, I think they are seeing what the value for those players is out there, Josh Richardson, Dennis Schroder. I think those are all players available in the marketplace,” Wojnarowski said. “They still want to find another playmaker, wing player to complement the two All-Star forwards.”

This is a perfect example of how Woj couches his "non-Woj Bombs" - the ones that are his opinion and not actual scoops. It's a great way to say absolutely nothing other than what the GM would already be doing anyway. Checking the value of current players in the marketplace - check. Looking for another playmaker or wing - check.
The red part isn't exactly speculation. It says we ''want to find another playmaker, wing player'', not a ''playmaker OR wing''. My interpretation is that we are looking for a Point Forward. To put it another way, we're looking for a Hayward replacement. I'll believe it when I see it, but this is exactly the type of player we should be looking for. Two targets come to mind: Joe Ingles and Kyle Anderson.

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Ingles or SloMo
PF: Tatum
C: Timelord
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:09:59 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 07:50:50 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I will say for the record that I don't think Smart will be traded.  Far more likely to be traded in my book are Richardson, Schroeder, and Freedom.  These 3 are veteran players that could help a team.  Smart is in that category too but I feel it would take more for us to give up on Smart and that it is less likely someone would give that up for Smart.

I don't see the likes of Nesmith, Langford, Pritchard, etc being traded.  These are not players that are going to make an impact on a playoff team and they aren't good enough prospects that another team is going to really care about them.

Anything is possible though.  We have tradeable players, we have TPEs.  We could sneak under the tax cap.  We could go all in.  We could trade for the here and now or we could trade for the future.  We are in a position where we have a lot of flexibility which is a good place to be.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 07:56:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Just another day in the office , got to try and improve the team …..never go to sleep

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

WOJ on ESPN.com

How many playmaking wings are there in the NBA?

Most those guys are All-Stars or franchise players. Players that nobody wants to move.

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 09:23:07 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
It is true that this article don't bring anything new on the table. Even on Smart rumors it is redundant since one or two years..

But if Brad try to find either for this deadline or this summer way to dump most of this salary, we could really start a big rebuild and go strongly to FA next year. Josh Richardson is very tradable and even may bring a late first or a young cheap propsect in town. Smart on my opinion is still a positive player in a trade, a few contenders probably have him in big estime. A late first + a swip or a young prospect is also something possible (or we could be the team that give a first if the prospect is really intringuing, like a Kuminga or D Mitchell or something). Horford contract would be tradable to a bottom of the league team with an heavily protected 1st I guess. Then we could let go Langford and keep Nesmith, PP and Grant, as they are more cheap and more established (Grant and PP) or have more potential(Nemsith).

This would leave us with a young 6 players core of Tatum/Brown/Timelord/Grant/PP/Nesmith... And only 72M of salary with a 119M salary cap... If we do that we should be sure to land after the big prize of this not so loaded FA.... Bradley Beal could be had in a ST (maybe his down year season may make him accept a little less than supermax and signing him directly without giving assets... We would still have 19m and 9,7 M TPE + max MLE to go after role players (playmaking, big...) like Valanciunas, Brunson, Ingles, Warren etc...

I love Smart and think he is much more valuable that the stats tells, even with his inconstency and below average offensive level.
But we also need to build a core that fit better and having almost only late 1st round to find what we miss, not saying the time it takes to developp the players and Mid level MLE or Min, is dangerous. So I guess I would be ready for this total role players rebuild, kepping the stars and the cheap (little) promise.

Signing Beal would also force Tatum to face his responsabilty : Brad would have given to him the coach he wanted (Ime) and the teammate he dreamt about (Beal). So now no excuse to become the leader of this team and become a real top 10 player in the league (and he has everything to become that)

Your thoughts ?

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 09:56:36 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

WOJ on ESPN.com

Most those guys are All-Stars or franchise players. Players that nobody wants to move.
There are quite of few actually. Here are some names (in random order). Most of them aren't realistic targets for various reasons.

LeBRon, Middleton, Ingram, DeRozan, Tatum, Hayward, Harrison Barnes, Tobias Harris, Scottie Barnes, Franz Wagner, Ingles, SloMo, Saddiq Bey, Osman, Deni Avdija, Troy Brown Jr, Josh Giddie, Josh Hart, LeVert, Alec Burks, Desmond Bane, Satoransky

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 10:01:42 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

WOJ on ESPN.com

There are quite of few actually. Here are some names (in random order). Most of them aren't realistic targets for various reasons.

LeBRon, Middleton, Ingram, DeRozan, Tatum, Hayward, Harrison Barnes, Tobias Harris, Scottie Barnes, Franz Wagner, Ingles, SloMo, Saddiq Bey, Osman, Deni Avdija, Troy Brown Jr, Josh Giddie, Josh Hart, LeVert, Alec Burks, Desmond Bane, Satoransky
Ingram and Barnes, if they became available because NOP and SAC are run terribly, would be excellent gets. Hart and Lavert could be gettable. I would prefer Hart out of those two.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 10:27:07 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

WOJ on ESPN.com

Most of those players should be viewed as secondary or backup playmakers. They aren't going to get you through the tough stretches of a playoff series.

If we are looking at a playmaker who is unlikely to improve the team's decision making, either now or in the next couple of years, then we haven't accomplished anything.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

WOJ on ESPN.com

Ingram and Barnes, if they became available because NOP and SAC are run terribly, would be excellent gets. Hart and Lavert could be gettable. I would prefer Hart out of those two.

I've only seen Hart play a few times.  Is he an upgrade over Smart?  They seem like similar players.  He's not a high volume shooter but is a better shooter 2pt wise then Smart but similar to career 3pt shooting as smart.  So he's not a floor spacer.  He's a year younger then Smart and is bigger but can he be a starting PG with the J's?  He's owed less money then smart and has a player option in 2023/2024 which he should command a deal like Marcus makes now.  I don't see the value of having both of these players that are so similar. 

Lavert is not a good 3pt shooter.  He's a scorer not a shooter.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 10:35:45 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

WOJ on ESPN.com

I've only seen Hart play a few times.  Is he an upgrade over Smart?  They seem like similar players.  He's not a high volume shooter but is a better shooter 2pt wise then Smart but similar to career 3pt shooting as smart.  So he's not a floor spacer.  He's a year younger then Smart and is bigger but can he be a starting PG with the J's?  He's owed less money then smart and has a player option in 2023/2024 which he should command a deal like Marcus makes now.  I don't see the value of having both of these players that are so similar. 

Lavert is not a good 3pt shooter.  He's a scorer not a shooter.

Hart is similar to Smart, but better. Nifty passer, good defender, lil better shooter.

Some would argue he's less "impactful" than Smart, to which I'd say that's a two way street. Meaning, his best might not be as dramatic, but his bad is much less damaging.

I'd love to have Hart, though I can't see why NOP would trade him.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 11:01:19 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

WOJ on ESPN.com

The red part isn't exactly speculation. It says we ''want to find another playmaker, wing player'', not a ''playmaker OR wing''. My interpretation is that we are looking for a Point Forward. To put it another way, we're looking for a Hayward replacement. I'll believe it when I see it, but this is exactly the type of player we should be looking for. Two targets come to mind: Joe Ingles and Kyle Anderson.

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Ingles or SloMo
PF: Tatum
C: Timelord
They need both - though it could be just a forward if you had the right guy - say like Hayward.

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 11:51:52 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I’d trade Marcus for an expiring contract and a second rounder.

I would too. Gotta get out of that bad contract. Enough with the poor shooters.

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 12:15:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Utah reportedly looking to get better defensively.   Wonder if Danny Ainge has them inquiring about Smart or Romeo Langford?  What could we expect to get in return? Ingles? Boggie?  Are they too old for our plans?

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2022, 12:18:36 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Utah reportedly looking to get better defensively.   Wonder if Danny Ainge has them inquiring about Smart or Romeo Langford?  What could we expect to get in return? Ingles? Boggie?  Are they too old for our plans?

I was thinking Richardson-Ingles earlier today.  The salaries are pretty close.  Richardson’s shooting well, but he’s not the same threat from deep as Ingles is.