Author Topic: Mike Nesmith RIP - Former Monkee  (Read 2482 times)

Mike Nesmith RIP - Former Monkee
« on: December 10, 2021, 03:37:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Sad to hear that Mike Nesmith, the wool capped guitar player for the Monkees has died.  I know that CStrong poster RRFYS is a big Monkees fan and many here have fond memories of their show and music.

He had a few memorable music moments post-Monkees (other than behind the scenes) -- a decent hit "Joanne" and he wrote Different Drum, a hit for Linda Ronstatd.   Mom invented whiteout.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/10/622582336/mike-nesmith-obituary
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 03:51:59 PM by Neurotic Guy »

Re: Mike Nesmith RIP - Former Monkee
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 04:27:32 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Dang only one left, Mickey Dolenz
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 06:20:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
His mother was cool ,  a single mom , a secretary  needing extra money , invented “ White Out “ .  .   I think they were all good dudes . 

Rest In Peace Mike. 

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 07:59:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
So, there was an episode where The Monkees were in a haunted house--and they started disappearing one by one..Davy, Peter, Mike and finally Micky is standing there alone and says: "Hey Hey I'm a Monkee"?   This is exactly the order in which they've passed away.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 03:00:21 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
NG, a TP to you for starting this thread, and for remembering my Monkees fandom. I thought about starting one, but some troll interfered with the last Monkees thread I started, so I figured it wasn't worth the trouble. But I'm glad you did, so thank you.

Definitely a sad day for Monkees fans—sad for Mike's death, and also that there's now just one Monkee remaining. Mike (and the Monkees) made a lot of great music. Mike was also one of the pioneers of country-rock, and it was his idea that gave birth to MTV. Pretty creative and enterprising guy. Part of the reason I love the Monkees is that I watched their show growing up, and their music made an indelible mark on me from an early age. Sad to lose someone who was part of my childhood.

Sort of a funny aside, in response to 86MaxwellSmart: For years now, Micky Dolenz has joked that when only one of the four guys was left, that one would carry on as "The Monkee" (singular). And he's now that guy. (And pretty weird that they died in the same order as they disappeared in that haunted-house episode!)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis