Author Topic: What is Your Unpopular NBA Hot Take?  (Read 5678 times)

Re: What is Your Unpopular NBA Hot Take?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I would be okay with trading for Lebron James. JB would have to be dealt, but a couple years of Lebron with most of this group(Tatum, the Williams boys, Horford, Smart, Romeo, Kanter, etc.) is as close as we will be to a title since 2010.

I know posters here HATE Lebron, but him next to Tatum and a bunch of complimentary pieces gets the team a title. And I want to see more titles.

I really don’t get this at all, as I have said when it was brought up in the past. This is the third season in a row Lebron or third of the last 4 he has battled injuries. How does he have years left of being a guy that can lead you to a title at this point (even alongside Tatum). Please look at his advanced stats. Also I certainly
Hate Lebron less as a player/personality  than I did in his cavs/Miami days. Aside from the slip up about China he hasn’t really done anything that has bothered me in many years and has done some cool stuff with his schools. He is just aging and not an mvp caliber player any more.
when he starts missing playoff games, that is when it will be a problem.  But James has never missed a playoff game in his career.  And this isn't the old days.  Everyone misses a bunch of games like Shaq used to back in the day.  I mean the Raptors won a title with Kawhi missing 22 regular season games.  Even last year, Giannis missed 11 of the 72 games (and then a couple in the playoffs).  The 17-18 Warriors had Steph miss 31 games, Durant miss 14 games, Draymond miss 12 games, and Klay miss 9 games.  Nick Young and his 80 games was the only guy on the roster that played more than 73 games. 

What matters is health at the end and in that James has been fine.  He misses time during the season to be ready for the playoffs.  And if he was on your team you'd want that.

I mean if he was not beat up during last years playoffs that makes his performance, by his standards, even worse. Career low in points,  only made it to the line 3.8 time a game (career average is about 9 and he even averaged 7 in the bubble. Field goal percentage dropped from 57 in bubble to 47. He clearly has faded in both the regular season and playoffs the last few years. Don’t really think this is particularly debatable.

Edit and to clarify I would feel we were much more likely to win the title in next two years if we got giannis, curry, durant, (if healthy) embid, jokic. Some other players are probably up there. I mean the warriors have way less talent than the the lakers with klay out. Is there second best play dray, wiggins, pool? Not really same category of player as davis as much as davis has shrunk this season
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 12:50:00 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 01:20:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would be okay with trading for Lebron James. JB would have to be dealt, but a couple years of Lebron with most of this group(Tatum, the Williams boys, Horford, Smart, Romeo, Kanter, etc.) is as close as we will be to a title since 2010.

I know posters here HATE Lebron, but him next to Tatum and a bunch of complimentary pieces gets the team a title. And I want to see more titles.

I really don’t get this at all, as I have said when it was brought up in the past. This is the third season in a row Lebron or third of the last 4 he has battled injuries. How does he have years left of being a guy that can lead you to a title at this point (even alongside Tatum). Please look at his advanced stats. Also I certainly
Hate Lebron less as a player/personality  than I did in his cavs/Miami days. Aside from the slip up about China he hasn’t really done anything that has bothered me in many years and has done some cool stuff with his schools. He is just aging and not an mvp caliber player any more.
when he starts missing playoff games, that is when it will be a problem.  But James has never missed a playoff game in his career.  And this isn't the old days.  Everyone misses a bunch of games like Shaq used to back in the day.  I mean the Raptors won a title with Kawhi missing 22 regular season games.  Even last year, Giannis missed 11 of the 72 games (and then a couple in the playoffs).  The 17-18 Warriors had Steph miss 31 games, Durant miss 14 games, Draymond miss 12 games, and Klay miss 9 games.  Nick Young and his 80 games was the only guy on the roster that played more than 73 games. 

What matters is health at the end and in that James has been fine.  He misses time during the season to be ready for the playoffs.  And if he was on your team you'd want that.

I mean if he was not beat up during last years playoffs that makes his performance, by his standards, even worse. Career low in points,  only made it to the line 3.8 time a game (career average is about 9 and he even averaged 7 in the bubble. Field goal percentage dropped from 57 in bubble to 47. He clearly has faded in both the regular season and playoffs the last few years. Don’t really think this is particularly debatable.

Edit and to clarify I would feel we were much more likely to win the title in next two years if we got giannis, curry, durant, (if healthy) embid, jokic. Some other players are probably up there. I mean the warriors have way less talent than the the lakers with klay out. Is there second best play dray, wiggins, pool? Not really same category of player as davis as much as davis has shrunk this season
They lost a 6 game series.  His minutes were down as a result.  If you look at per minute his scoring is obviously off his peak, but was the 4th worst in his career, but his eFG% was his 6th best. His ap36 were the 3rd best in his career.   He was shooting less, but passing more (also why his FT's were down). 

He obviously isn't the player he once was, but a 6 game series they were leading until Davis got hurt isn't exactly a series I'd rely on to throw the dirt on Lebron.  Especially when the Lakers were 36.7 points per 100 possessions better with Lebron on the floor than when Lebron was on the bench (which is an astronomically high number).  The Lakers lost to the Suns in the minutes Lebron was not on the floor because after Davis got hurt they had no one else capable of coming close to keeping them afloat. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

They lost a 6 game series.  His minutes were down as a result.  If you look at per minute his scoring is obviously off his peak, but was the 4th worst in his career, but his eFG% was his 6th best. His ap36 were the 3rd best in his career.   He was shooting less, but passing more (also why his FT's were down). 

He obviously isn't the player he once was, but a 6 game series they were leading until Davis got hurt isn't exactly a series I'd rely on to throw the dirt on Lebron.  Especially when the Lakers were 36.7 points per 100 possessions better with Lebron on the floor than when Lebron was on the bench (which is an astronomically high number).  The Lakers lost to the Suns in the minutes Lebron was not on the floor because after Davis got hurt they had no one else capable of coming close to keeping them afloat.
If he has a monster playoffs and they make the finals I will certainly tip my cap to you and admit you were right.

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 02:03:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

If he has a monster playoffs and they make the finals I will certainly tip my cap to you and admit you were right.

That team isn't sniffing the Finals.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 02:17:33 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Here's one that's going to tick people off: The Lakers will be competing for a title. I think they'll make the Western Conference Finals, and depending on who they've got to play have a chance to make it to the finals.

Lebron doesn't care about record. He just needs to get to the 6 seed, which they're currently at. The west is as weak as it's ever been, and he'll turn it on from April on.

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2021, 02:55:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
James Harden should have at least 2 MVPs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2021, 03:01:15 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Lillard will never win anything
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 03:04:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The rushed possession for a 2 for 1 at the end of periods is dumb.  Have a good possession and go play defense (then make sure you grab the defensive board).
Yup

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 03:07:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That team isn't sniffing the Finals.
depends on Davis.  If he actually starts looking like a top 5 player again, then they absolutely could not only get to the finals, but win them, but if the Davis we've seen to start this year is the Davis that exists all year, then yeah there is no way they are making the finals.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Here's one that's going to tick people off: The Lakers will be competing for a title. I think they'll make the Western Conference Finals, and depending on who they've got to play have a chance to make it to the finals.

Lebron doesn't care about record. He just needs to get to the 6 seed, which they're currently at. The west is as weak as it's ever been, and he'll turn it on from April on.

Phoenix and Golden State don’t look weak to me. There are probably other teams but they definitely are in the Lakers’ way.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2021, 04:18:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Given your love for JB, it must pain you to say this!!!

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
The game gets better every year.  These guys are better than they were in the 80's. You might disagree with the aesthetics and style, but the NBA is getting better, not worse.

Dwight Howard is underrated.

Luka Doncic is overrated.

I dislike Lebron haters more than Lebron.

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2021, 05:28:12 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Do you think he moves? I agree if he stays in Portland. If he heads to the Lakers or Nets, for example, his chances get much better.

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Do you think he moves? I agree if he stays in Portland. If he heads to the Lakers or Nets, for example, his chances get much better.
I'd love to see Lillard team up with Jokic somehow. Just for the fireworks
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Last year if AD3 and LeBron were healthy, they would have steamrolled the Suns enroute to NBA Finals as a number 7 seed.

I think they might have a shot this year if they're very healthy. Low seed doesn't matter as well as home-court. As long as you have superstar talent and healthy it's good enough.

Ofc if one of them gets injured then it's an early playoff exit for them

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)