Author Topic: Charlie Baker wonít run for reelection  (Read 779 times)

Charlie Baker wonít run for reelection
« on: December 01, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26786
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
BOSTON ó Republican Gov. Charlie Baker wonít seek reelection next year, he announced Wednesday, in a move that surprised some in the stateís political class and will ripple down the 2022 ballot in Massachusetts.

And, in perhaps an even more shocking move, Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito won't run for governor in his place.

Too bad. We need more governors like Baker, who pay attention to the voters in their state rather than to a political party.  I know that there were threats to oppose him in the primary with a Trumpist.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Charlie Baker wonít run for reelection
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
BOSTON ó Republican Gov. Charlie Baker wonít seek reelection next year, he announced Wednesday, in a move that surprised some in the stateís political class and will ripple down the 2022 ballot in Massachusetts.

And, in perhaps an even more shocking move, Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito won't run for governor in his place.

Too bad. We need more governors like Baker, who pay attention to the voters in their state rather than to a political party.  I know that there were threats to oppose him in the primary with a Trumpist.

Baker would have lost the primary.  Now Republicans will lose a governorship.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I wish she would have hung in there as an independent. Instead, a small minority of voters will override the will of the electorate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 12:36:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell

I wish she would have hung in there as an independent. Instead, a small minority of voters will override the will of the electorate.

Itís not clear what wouldíve happened with independent Charlie Baker.  That very much could have wound up with a Trumpist Republican in Mass, which I think even you would admit does not represent Massachusetts voters well.

With ranked-choice voting Baker probably would have won.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2048

Would Baker have lost the primary?   If so, that surprises me a little.  I think Massachusetts independents would have (could have) organized to defeat a Trumpist in the primary.   I think there are probably a fair number of republicans in Mass who would still support Baker especially knowing that a Trump republican would have a difficult time winning a statewide office in Mass.   

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell

Would Baker have lost the primary?   If so, that surprises me a little.  I think Massachusetts independents would have (could have) organized to defeat a Trumpist in the primary.   I think there are probably a fair number of republicans in Mass who would still support Baker especially knowing that a Trump republican would have a difficult time winning a statewide office in Mass.   

In the latest poll, Baker was underwater with both Republicans and Independents, so itís unlikely heíd have been able to rely on Independents and moderate Republicans to carry him to victory, especially given that a contested Democratic primary could have pulled a lot of Iís to vote in that primary rather than for Baker.

Honestly, Bakerís best chance to win would have been to run as a Democrat, with whom he held a 65% approval rating. 

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 01:37:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

In the latest poll, Baker was underwater with both Republicans and Independents, so itís unlikely heíd have been able to rely on Independents and moderate Republicans to carry him to victory, especially given that a contested Democratic primary could have pulled a lot of Iís to vote in that primary rather than for Baker.

Honestly, Bakerís best chance to win would have been to run as a Democrat, with whom he held a 65% approval rating.

Heís underwater with independents?  Are those the independents who are to the right of conservatives?  Iím surprised to see that.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell

Heís underwater with independents?  Are those the independents who are to the right of conservatives?  Iím surprised to see that.

https://polsci.umass.edu/sites/default/files/StateofStateBakerCrosstabs_0.pdf

41% - R
48% - I
65% - D

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

41% - R
48% - I
65% - D

Okay.  48% approval, but no data on disapproval.  So not necessarily under water.

More in line with my perception:  74% of self-described moderates approve of him

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Bailey Howell

41% - R
48% - I
65% - D

Okay.  48% approval, but no data on disapproval.  So not necessarily under water.

More in line with my perception:  74% of self-described moderates approve of him

Fair point about underwater, but the point stands thereís not likely an army of independents he could count to have rescued him in the primary.  That 74% of moderates but only 48% of independents approve shows that itís moderate registered Dems, who are not eligible for the Republican primary, where his biggest base of support is.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8528
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's sad that a truly moderate politician that represents the majority of total voters in Massachusetts has decided not to run. If the reasoning is that he wouldn't win the primary because the Republican party has jumped the shark into Trumpism, it's even sadder. The true Republican party will now lose a governor seat because neither Diehl nor Carr will beat a Democrat in Massachusetts.

What might be most sad is what has happened to the Republican party. It's trying to fight back against Trumpism but it's losing that fight. Believing untruths, racism, bigotry, authoritarianism, violence against non-believers, cancel culture against true Republicans, belief in wild conspiracy theories and a general disassociation with any type of public decorum seems it is now going to be the new normal for the Trump led party calling themselves Republicans. That, my conservative minded friends is what is truly the saddest thing happening in America right now. And I think it's causing great moderate to conservative political leaders and voices to walk away from politics. These are the leaders we need, not Trump wannabes.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 08:54:21 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 824
Disappointed to hear about this. I voted for Charlie because of what I thought he would do for MA, not whether his name had a D, an R or an I behind it. Which is what I've done in every election.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 412
What happened to the party of W Bush, Iran Contra, race baiting and Nixon?  They've only been bad since Trump lol

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 11:31:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 9649
Disappointed to hear about this. I voted for Charlie because of what I thought he would do for MA, not whether his name had a D, an R or an I behind it. Which is what I've done in every election.
won't be missed.  live in Mass and can't think of anything he's accomplished since being in office.  I think of him as "Do Nothing Charlie".  the one plus is he's not a rubber-stamp for the legislature but he doesn't exactly offer up much resistance to them or fresh ideas.