Author Topic: Enes Kanter Legally Changing His Name To Enes Kanter Freedom  (Read 5845 times)

Re: Enes Kanter Legally Changing His Name To Enes Kanter Freedom
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2021, 06:07:53 PM »

Kiorrik

It's his name, he can call himself what he wants. Who are we to judge what people want to call themselves  :angel:

Ain't that the truth, "Ozgod" ... if that is your real name.

Man I miss Craig Ferguson.

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
It's his name, he can call himself what he wants. Who are we to judge what people want to call themselves  :angel:

Ain't that the truth, "Ozgod" ... if that is your real name.

Man I miss Craig Ferguson.

For Kiorrik  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2021, 10:16:48 AM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Clown show.

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2021, 10:27:29 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I can hear the crowd's chants already.

Yup

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Anybody see this?

Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona
Enes Kanter Freedom to Tucker Carlson on Americans criticizing America: "I feel like they should just keep their mouth shut and stop criticizing the greatest nation in the world and they should focus on their freedoms and their human rights and democracy."

I have always been a fan of Kanter, but this just seems...off base. Like, dude, align yourself with pretty much anybody other than Tucker Carlson. I guess the 'Freedom' name change was a pretty big red flag. Hopefully this doesn't cause dissention in the locker room. It's not like we don't have some pretty outspoken players on the BLM movement (along with other issues).

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Anybody see this?

Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona
Enes Kanter Freedom to Tucker Carlson on Americans criticizing America: "I feel like they should just keep their mouth shut and stop criticizing the greatest nation in the world and they should focus on their freedoms and their human rights and democracy."

I have always been a fan of Kanter, but this just seems...off base. Like, dude, align yourself with pretty much anybody other than Tucker Carlson. I guess the 'Freedom' name change was a pretty big red flag. Hopefully this doesn't cause dissention in the locker room. It's not like we don't have some pretty outspoken players on the BLM movement (along with other issues).

EDIT: Deleted comment.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 11:18:10 AM by footey »

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2021, 11:41:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Anybody see this?

Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona

Weird to see him go to Carlson. The guy just literally defended Russia and said, "I guess I support democracy?"

He's all 32 flavors of extreme right wing craziness at this point.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2021, 12:13:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sad to see so many getting butt hurt over this.

Enes has literally been a man without a country the past few years because of his social activism against a Turkish despot. He has had to live with death threats and seen family members imprisoned. His family had to disown him for political reasons - to save their own lives.

Now he gets to become an American citizen. That should be celebrated! He’s worked hard for that. He’s earned it. If he wants his name to reflect the highest ideal of his adopted country, so be it!

If Ime has a problem dealing with media distractions then he needs to put on his big boy pants. I would bet that he’s not bothered by this and that he and the rest of the Celtics will be celebrating with Enes.

TP…..glade is proud of America

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2021, 03:54:25 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Anybody see this?

Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona

Weird to see him go to Carlson. The guy just literally defended Russia and said, "I guess I support democracy?"

Not to mention he seems to have made quite a lucrative career out of criticising America (Carlson, not Kanter).

But also, doesn't this tweet effectively say little more than "shut up and dribble"? Not all countries are created equal, but creating a false equivalency because you come from somewhere else doesn't do very much good.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2021, 04:21:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
 :laugh:

Celtics' Enes Kanter Freedom says he'd welcome sit-down with LeBron James on human rights abuses in China: 'I'm here to educate him'

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32755256/celtics-enes-kanter-freedom-says-welcome-sit-lebron-james-human-rights-abuses-china-here-educate-him
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Anybody see this?

Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona

Not to mention he seems to have made quite a lucrative career out of criticising America (Carlson, not Kanter).

But also, doesn't this tweet effectively say little more than "shut up and dribble"? Not all countries are created equal, but creating a false equivalency because you come from somewhere else doesn't do very much good.

Always hated the “love it or leave it” argument, wherein you can’t criticize America if you truly love America. Of course that’s not true. Some of the most treasured Americans in history criticized America — or, say, called out its flaws — so that it could improve. Actually every voter and politician does this, basically… you vote for or promote new ideas that you think improve the country. Isn’t that almost the same thing as criticism? Constructive criticism? I love America and I also have a few ideas about where it comes up woefully short. Doesn’t mean I don’t love it. I love it so much that I want it to get better. It’s like a family member. You want to push it to be all it can be.

Now, if he said, “hey, you guys don’t know how good you have it — keep in mind that in other countries you can’t do X Y Z,” fine. That I can understand. But as Enes phrases it, I can’t abide.

Lastly — the types of countries where constructive (or otherwise) criticism is unwelcome are not the types of places any of us would want to live.

"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2021, 04:43:01 PM »

Kiorrik

Anybody see this?

Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona

Yeaaaahhhhh, I don't buy "greatest country" on any level, for any country in the world. Least of all a self-proclaimed one.

Seeing him say this did make me rethink my position on his knowledge of the world.

Oh well.

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2021, 04:49:00 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I like and respect Enes Kanter for his actions and speaking out for those who can't, but at this point he is going a little off the wall. I am not sure calling out everyone is the best strategy to get his message across and for better or worse, the more 'looney' he becomes, the less serious his message becomes.

Reaching out for the likes of Lebron James without belittling the person (and others) would probably get less clicks, but at the same time, would probably be a lot more productive. I understand even putting some pressure on these organizations, but the aggressive nature of which he's doing it is turning me off, and I do agree with a lot of what he says.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2021, 05:47:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Well it is a pretty awesome country, and this forum is one example of why it is. 

Enes has the right to express his opinions freely, and others have a right to freely criticize them. 

Try that in China.

Enes is a little drunk right now on getting his US citizenship, after suffering years of threats against his life from the Turkish government. I'm sure he can survive a few barbs from woke culture, for having the audacity to be interviewed by Tucker Carlson. 

Welcome to the USA, Mr. Freedom!!

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2021, 05:59:52 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Off the wall but quick story about getting my citizenship. My citizenship ceremony was at the JFK Museum in Boston and it was sponsored by the Red Sox and running late, which I thought was odd but didn't think too much of it. There was a big television crew there which I thought it could be for Ted Kennedy since he from my understanding, he likes to do these ceremonies (he was in the hospital at the time). I quickly found out that it was because David Ortiz was also getting his citizenship. That made an already great moment even cooler.

Also, prior to that, my brother and I had to go to Boston to take the citizenship exam early morning. Since we were done early and Celtics playoffs tickets for Game 7 against Atlanta (2008) was going to start selling soon, we walked over and waited in line and ended up getting $10 tickets. Since the Celtics was crushing the Hawks, they made the announcement that they'd sell the tickets for the next round so we got tickets for the next series at $15 and we got to see Pierce battle Lebron James.
Baby Jesus!