Author Topic: Rob Williams stats and play thus far  (Read 7653 times)

Re: Rob Williams stats and play thus far
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 06:01:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His efficiency is absurd. His career field goal percentage is 72.6%. The best career FG% in NBA history (of those who qualify) is DeAndre Jordan, at 67.4%. So about 5 percentage points worse than Rob.

With numbers that high that doesn't sound like much, or rather isn't perceived as much. But the difference between a 40% shooter from the field and 45% shooter from the field is enormous.

He doesn't shoot much, and he likely never will. But he's going to score on almost 3 of every 4 shots. Crazy
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2021, 06:04:08 PM »

Kiorrik

His efficiency is absurd. His career field goal percentage is 72.6%. The best career FG% in NBA history (of those who qualify) is DeAndre Jordan, at 67.4%. So about 5 percentage points worse than Rob.

With numbers that high that doesn't sound like much, or rather isn't perceived as much. But the difference between a 40% shooter from the field and 45% shooter from the field is enormous.

He doesn't shoot much, and he likely never will. But he's going to score on almost 3 of every 4 shots. Crazy

Until someone figures to start upping his usage rate or whatever it's called when you start running offense through a bloke.

Which I've heard people mention; Rob passes well. Why not run offense through him. Get him the ball on the block, see if he can create.

I can see that happening if he stays healthy.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2021, 09:10:23 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Until someone figures to start upping his usage rate or whatever it's called when you start running offense through a bloke.

Which I've heard people mention; Rob passes well. Why not run offense through him. Get him the ball on the block, see if he can create.

You corroborate a player's statistics with his film and that's where the 'give Robert the ball' idea falls apart: he doesn't have one isolation gene in his body. He should be pretty good at being a distributor up top, but you really don't want him posting up to create for others.

That FG% suggests that he's an insane finisher, which is supported by the eye test - he can get the ball in places that no one else can reach and has a pretty good feel for cuts and rolls to the rim.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You corroborate a player's statistics with his film and that's where the 'give Robert the ball' idea falls apart: he doesn't have one isolation gene in his body. He should be pretty good at being a distributor up top, but you really don't want him posting up to create for others.

That FG% suggests that he's an insane finisher, which is supported by the eye test - he can get the ball in places that no one else can reach and has a pretty good feel for cuts and rolls to the rim.
Yeah, I don't particularly want him shooting more. If he could get some touches in the high post and try and make passes to cutting players I'd be happy with that, but as it stands he's a supremely elite garbage man on offence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2021, 09:48:10 PM »

Kiorrik

Yeah, I don't particularly want him shooting more. If he could get some touches in the high post and try and make passes to cutting players I'd be happy with that, but as it stands he's a supremely elite garbage man on offence

Yeah I'm not a fan of the idea either.

I think he'd be fine to catch and pass, but agree 100% with the notion of him not being a post-up guy.

Hence; he's got a high offensive rating, and will probably maintain that until someone starts over-using him.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 10:50:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Williams hits shots from 0-3 feet at 80.1% in his career.  Shaq at his absolute apex in 00-01 shot just 79.2% from 0-3 feet.  The difference of course is Williams shoots 69.8% of his shots from that range and averages just 3.8 shots per game.  Though I will say this year he is above his career averages and up to 6.4 fga per game.  So he has increased his output and kept his rate.  And he is still pretty good from 3-10 feet. 

In sum, the team would be better if they utilized Williams offensively more.  Getting his shots up around 10 a game would be good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 11:44:18 PM »

Kiorrik

Williams hits shots from 0-3 feet at 80.1% in his career.  Shaq at his absolute apex in 00-01 shot just 79.2% from 0-3 feet.  The difference of course is Williams shoots 69.8% of his shots from that range and averages just 3.8 shots per game.  Though I will say this year he is above his career averages and up to 6.4 fga per game.  So he has increased his output and kept his rate.  And he is still pretty good from 3-10 feet. 

In sum, the team would be better if they utilized Williams offensively more.  Getting his shots up around 10 a game would be good.

This is almost like Perk. On that team, he was the PERFECT player imo. Just fit in perfectly as an enforcer.

Is he the best player ever at his position? Hahahaha :') Maybe in his local area code?

So yeah, different player, but he's in the right spot at the moment. Being a menace on D, getting open for alleyoops and having super solid intangibles.

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yuck.  Hopefully the knee is okay.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 09:50:14 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Aaaand he’s hurt. Again.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 10:30:25 PM »

Kiorrik

Caaaareful Icarus

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 10:35:30 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Ugh.

#JKJB ;)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
When we get use to having him he goes down. We should have kept Moses and not signed Kanter.
Surely we did not need to include Moses to get Jrich. But we had to save a buck. My fear is when we need Rob in the playoff someone from the other team will hurt him because he is not big to take a hit.
But when he is going he sure is fun to watch. Nobody wins the Finals with a hurt center aka Perkins.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 11:13:49 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
When we get use to having him he goes down. We should have kept Moses and not signed Kanter.
Surely we did not need to include Moses to get Jrich. But we had to save a buck. My fear is when we need Rob in the playoff someone from the other team will hurt him because he is not big to take a hit.
But when he is going he sure is fun to watch. Nobody wins the Finals with a hurt center aka Perkins.

Moses Brown?  The guy who has played 18 minutes for the Mavs this year?  That Moses?

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
TP to gouki88 for Robert title....

"He's a supremely elite garbage man on offense"

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2021, 12:00:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I was about to post this same thought. TP.