Author Topic: When should the seat start to get hot?  (Read 8517 times)

Re: When should the seat start to get hot?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2021, 10:35:15 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sometime in 2023 if things are bad this year and the first half of next. I don't think they will be btw, they've found something here recently.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 10:45:33 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2021, 12:15:52 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I have no confidence in Udoka at this point. Felt like the game tonight vs the Nets was doomed from the beginning, starting Grant Williams and asking him cover Durant, Harden, and Mills. Think he gave up half of the Nets points in the first quarter either directly with guys scoring on him or indirectly when the other C’s players had to try to help defensively, leaving the opponent with wide open shots and layups. He should have never been starting considering the players Brooklyn was putting out there. Udoka insists on his “two big” lineup instead of starting Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Horford which would have been a much better matchup. There were periods early in the game when Tatum, Brown and Horford were all out of the game at the same time. That should never happen in a close game. Nesmith should not have been playing early on. He’s shown that he’s just not ready. Romeo should have been getting his minutes as he has been consistent all year. More Mismanagement.

Then we have the endless 3 point shooting. C’s finished the game 11-48 from 3pt. How can that possibly be your strategy considering how few good 3pt shooters are on the roster? It just doesn’t make any sense. The coach needs to put the team in a position to win games and it doesn’t seem like he’s able to do so, especially against quality opponents. I can’t see the C’s being much better than a .500 team with Udoka as HC. They have enough talent on the roster, but Ime doesn’t know how to put the pieces together and I’m not sure that he ever will.

*Update: 26 NBA teams played tonight and the C’s attempted more 3pt shots than any of them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 10:11:29 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 10:58:24 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
If the seat isn't red hot for the Head Coach, GM and roster, I don't know when it will ever be. Sadly, it appears we've become a franchise that accepts mediocrity and that starts with ownership.

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2021, 11:02:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I have no confidence in Udoka at this point. Felt like the game tonight vs the Nets was doomed from the beginning, starting Grant Williams and asking him cover Durant, Harden, and Mills. Think he gave up half of the Nets points in the first quarter either directly with guys scoring on him or indirectly when the other C’s players had to try to help defensively, leaving the opponent with wide open shots and layups. He should have never been starting considering the players Brooklyn was putting out there. Udoka insists on his “two big” lineup instead of starting Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Horford which would have been a much better matchup. There were periods early in the game when Tatum, Brown and Horford were all out of the game at the same time. That should never happen in a close game. Nesmith should not have been playing early on. He’s shown that he’s just not ready. Romeo should have been getting his minutes as he has been consistent all year. More Mismanagement.

Then we have the endless 3 point shooting. C’s finished the game 11-48 from 3pt. How can that possibly be your strategy considering how few good 3pt shooters are on the roster? It just doesn’t make any sense. The coach needs to put the team in a position to win games and it doesn’t seem like he’s able to do so, especially against quality opponents. I can’t see the C’s being much better than a .500 team with Udoka as HC. They have enough talent on the roster, but Ime doesn’t know how to put the pieces together and I’m not sure that he ever will.

*Update: 26 NBA teams played tonight and the C’s attempted more 3pt shots than any of them.

Team-wide heat check after the  magnificent shooting  v. Brooklyn.

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I browsed this thread for the first time.

This is nuts.

No one is on the 'hot seat', least of all Ime Udoka. He wouldn't be on that seat even if he'd had all his players available, probably not even if Jayson Tatum had not been shooting epically badly.

If you think that Ime has coached badly, consider that it's just possible that you don't understand what an NBA coach does.

I'm not calling anyone out. I don't care to point fingers and I'm not attached to being right.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2021, 04:03:08 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
You pink hat fans continue to call out coaching when in fact it’s the player Smart and player Tatum
Both must go

Brown is the player to build around

Get it through your head

This is like when I agree with republicans.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2021, 07:12:55 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That’s one game. For the year, the Cs are right in the middle of the NBA for 3-point attempts. https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2021, 11:56:28 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

That’s one game. For the year, the Cs are right in the middle of the NBA for 3-point attempts. https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

Celtics are currently 12th out of 30 teams for most 3pt attempts. If you average the 3pt shooting percentages of Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum and Horford you get 31%. The only teams that attempt more 3pt shots than the C’s and have a lower percentage of making them are Detroit and Orlando. Sound like a recipe for success?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 12:58:43 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It's hot already

it was boiling when Danny parted.

It’s been warm since BS took over…..as it should …..he is part of the last regime.

I can feel the pressure from as a fan from the distance , I imagine it’s warmer than any of the current Mgmt want to admit.  Regardless of the spin they put out.

These are high paying jobs with winning  business results expected .
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:15:47 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2021, 02:00:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You don't hire a new GM and coach and then replace them one year later unless the team seriously implodes and massively underperforms. So, unless the Celtics finish the season with a locker room in chaos and a record that puts them deep into the lottery, there is no hot seat this year. And this team has too much talent to finish any worse than .500. Their February and March schedule is unbelievably easier than the upcoming 6 week December/January run. A 12-12 record over the next 24 games probably puts this team with a record near 47-50 wins

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2021, 04:39:25 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It won't happen during the season barring some unlikely catastrophe, so put your big boy pants back on and stop whining.

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2021, 07:58:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Smart felt a little heat, and he responded by playing a lot better.  No one else has an even warm seat.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2021, 09:47:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
You don't hire a new GM and coach and then replace them one year later unless the team seriously implodes and massively underperforms. So, unless the Celtics finish the season with a locker room in chaos and a record that puts them deep into the lottery, there is no hot seat this year. And this team has too much talent to finish any worse than .500. Their February and March schedule is unbelievably easier than the upcoming 6 week December/January run. A 12-12 record over the next 24 games probably puts this team with a record near 47-50 wins

Yes it would be the ultimate in overreacting. Especially if you consider that fact that we threw away 6 games where we were in winning positions in (vs NY in 2OT, vs Was in 2OT, vs Chi where we led by 25+ but collapsed in the 4th, vs Dallas where we got Doncic'd, vs Cle where the Cavs won with 2 last second free throws, and vs Spurs where we fell behind by 26, fought back to lead by 7 then were outscored by 15 to lose). It's a game of if, but if we had withstood those opposition runs when we were in winning positions we could easily be 17-4 and heading the EC right now. Those losses were not because we got blown away and outplayed for the whole game but where we squandered winning positions and lost key moments in the games.

Obviously we didn't deserve to win them but it's a different story when you lose key moments vs where you were never in the game to begin with. The former speaks to mental issues, the latter to talent or composition issues. Their inconsistency on the court is why they are where they are, which to me is less to do with Ime and more to do with the players applying themselves for the full 48 minutes.

All that said, I'm not totally sold on Ime yet. But he deserves a much longer rope than a lot of fans, with our instant gratification mentality today, are willing to give.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yes it would be the ultimate in overreacting. Especially if you consider that fact that we threw away 6 games where we were in winning positions in (vs NY in 2OT, vs Was in 2OT, vs Chi where we led by 25+ but collapsed in the 4th, vs Dallas where we got Doncic'd, vs Cle where the Cavs won with 2 last second free throws, and vs Spurs where we fell behind by 26, fought back to lead by 7 then were outscored by 15 to lose). It's a game of if, but if we had withstood those opposition runs when we were in winning positions we could easily be 17-4 and heading the EC right now. Those losses were not because we got blown away and outplayed for the whole game but where we squandered winning positions and lost key moments in the games.

Obviously we didn't deserve to win them but it's a different story when you lose key moments vs where you were never in the game to begin with. The former speaks to mental issues, the latter to talent or composition issues. Their inconsistency on the court is why they are where they are, which to me is less to do with Ime and more to do with the players applying themselves for the full 48 minutes.

All that said, I'm not totally sold on Ime yet. But he deserves a much longer rope than a lot of fans, with our instant gratification mentality today, are willing to give.
I think you captured the situation pretty well - TP

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2021, 01:36:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I think you captured the situation pretty well - TP
Or it is in fact coaching that leads to the mental issues and breakdown of focus.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip