Author Topic: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!  (Read 12935 times)

Re: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2021, 01:19:21 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Jeff Clark says: "Forget the 20-game rule, this team is bad"

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/11/3/22760413/forget-20-game-rule-this-boston-celtics-team-is-bad-ime-udoka-jayson-tatum-marcus-smart-jaylen-brown

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I can't disagree with anything he said...
After how Jeff handled the Forums section after making certain promises, I could not care less what he has to say. Hell, I think my writing and basketball takes are better than his anyway. Jeff can go pound sand.

Can you explain? I guess I missed whatever it is you're referring to.

As for the 20-game rule, that's all well and good, but if they're still struggling after 20 games, certain fans will then say, "Well you have to give them till the all-star break." And if the Cs are still struggling at the all-star break, those fans will say, "Well as long as they're playing well going into the playoffs." And if the Cs are struggling as the regular season ends ...

I'm sure you all get my point. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Two more games and we are at 20 games. These next two games will be good measuring sticks for the Celtics. We have Brooklyn and then San Antonio. One of the best teams and then one of the worst.

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2021, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Two more games and we are at 20 games. These next two games will be good measuring sticks for the Celtics. We have Brooklyn and then San Antonio. One of the best teams and then one of the worst.

So if we beat both, we're great.
Lose to Brooklyn and beat San Antonio, we're mediocre.
Beat Brooklyn and lose to San Antonio, we're inconsistent.
Lose to both, we suck.

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2021, 11:22:25 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Jeff Clark says: "Forget the 20-game rule, this team is bad"

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/11/3/22760413/forget-20-game-rule-this-boston-celtics-team-is-bad-ime-udoka-jayson-tatum-marcus-smart-jaylen-brown

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I can't disagree with anything he said...
After how Jeff handled the Forums section after making certain promises, I could not care less what he has to say. Hell, I think my writing and basketball takes are better than his anyway. Jeff can go pound sand.

This is spectacular!  IMO, Jeff's understanding of the game is lacking, which I pointed out in the old forums a couple of times regarding his articles.  Sorry, he started something ahead of anyone else, but didn't make him god of the Celtics that's for sure.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Win them both and we’re 12-8, despite a slightly road-heavy schedule, and on track for a season that could hit 50 wins.

We have a real rough schedule coming up, so the next 18 could look worse than our prior 18, but once we reach January, the schedule is a lot easier for the rest of the year.  Just need to tread water for the next 6 weeks and not have the team fall apart at the adversity to come.  Our December opponents have a combined winning percentage of .608.  Our January opponents have a winning percentage of .444, and our February opponents .461.  Going .500 when your average opponent is a 50-win team would portend good things for May, so don’t fret too much if we’re 9-9 over the next 18.

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Win them both and we’re 12-8, despite a slightly road-heavy schedule, and on track for a season that could hit 50 wins.

We have a real rough schedule coming up, so the next 18 could look worse than our prior 18, but once we reach January, the schedule is a lot easier for the rest of the year.  Just need to tread water for the next 6 weeks and not have the team fall apart at the adversity to come.  Our December opponents have a combined winning percentage of .608.  Our January opponents have a winning percentage of .444, and our February opponents .461.  Going .500 when your average opponent is a 50-win team would portend good things for May, so don’t fret too much if we’re 9-9 over the next 18.
December is a really tough schedule especially that 5 game road trip against only winning teams (Utah, Portland, LAL, LAC, Phoenix).  Utah and Portland are back to back, then 2 full days off before the two LA's are back to back and they only have 1 day off before Phoenix.  5 games in 8 days all on the road.  0-5 is certainly on the table for that, though I'd expect at least 1 if not 2 wins. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2021, 11:44:57 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

December is a really tough schedule especially that 5 game road trip against only winning teams (Utah, Portland, LAL, LAC, Phoenix).  Utah and Portland are back to back, then 2 full days off before the two LA's are back to back and they only have 1 day off before Phoenix.  5 games in 8 days all on the road.  0-5 is certainly on the table for that, though I'd expect at least 1 if not 2 wins.

And then we return from that trip to get the Bucks, Warriors, Knicks, Sixers, and Cavs, and then get to spend Christmas in Milwaukee, head to Minny, and finish out 2021 with the Suns and Clippers.  I think hosting the 9-9 Cavs who we just had two tough games with is our easiest game in the entire month.  Maybe at Minny, but they're not terrible and it's on the road.

We'll learn a lot about the team by NYE, and I honestly believe that if we're 20-16 at the end of 2021 that we're on pace to be a top 3 team in the conference, even if we won't be there in the standings yet, and 18-18 or better puts us solidly in the top 6.  So Liam, maybe make it a 40 game rule this year!

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2021, 12:21:24 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

And then we return from that trip to get the Bucks, Warriors, Knicks, Sixers, and Cavs, and then get to spend Christmas in Milwaukee, head to Minny, and finish out 2021 with the Suns and Clippers.  I think hosting the 9-9 Cavs who we just had two tough games with is our easiest game in the entire month.  Maybe at Minny, but they're not terrible and it's on the road.

We'll learn a lot about the team by NYE, and I honestly believe that if we're 20-16 at the end of 2021 that we're on pace to be a top 3 team in the conference, even if we won't be there in the standings yet, and 18-18 or better puts us solidly in the top 6.  So Liam, maybe make it a 40 game rule this year!

The December schedule is absolutely brutal, the Celtics are playing very well right now but they are gonna need to play even a little better and have everybody stay healthy to get through that month. The schedule lightens up a little after that.

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2021, 12:39:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

We have so many back to backs this year!

https://twitter.com/EdKupfer/status/1428839741701689352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1428839741701689352%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediaembed%2Fp8gxnn%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Dfalse

https://www.nbastuffer.com/2021-2022-nba-schedule-rest-days-analysis/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:12:07 PM by liam »

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2021, 02:41:13 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
7-3 over the last 10 games. Only team in the East with more wins in that span is the Nets who went 8-2. C’s trending in the right direction.  :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2021, 02:51:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's amazing how much better the team looks when Tatum is playing like Tatum, huh?

I wish we had one more shooter, but we're back looking like we could be a top-4 team in the East.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2021, 03:03:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's amazing how much better the team looks when Tatum is playing like Tatum, huh?

I wish we had one more shooter, but we're back looking like we could be a top-4 team in the East.
I think having both Jays available and both back to their +40% from three rates will make a huge difference.

But like you said, one more good outside shooter, a role player in the mold of Seth Curry, Joe Harris or Joe Ingles, would make a huge difference.

I wonder if Grant Williams can be that guy? If they give him 6-7 3PTAs, could he still keep up his 42-43% 3PT% and do so for many more years? If so, that would be a major get for this team's bench.

If not, who are good or likely UFAs or trade targets that can be added to the team to fill that outside shooting void? Or do we just have to hope Pritchard, Romeo or Nesmith grows into a player like that?

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think having both Jays available and both back to their +40% from three rates will make a huge difference.

But like you said, one more good outside shooter, a role player in the mold of Seth Curry, Joe Harris or Joe Ingles, would make a huge difference.

I wonder if Grant Williams can be that guy? If they give him 6-7 3PTAs, could he still keep up his 42-43% 3PT% and do so for many more years? If so, that would be a major get for this team's bench.

If not, who are good or likely UFAs or trade targets that can be added to the team to fill that outside shooting void? Or do we just have to hope Pritchard, Romeo or Nesmith grows into a player like that?

Terrence Ross is having a down year shooting so far and can't be in the Magic's plans going forward. He can be moved into our trade exception. Who do you dump to get him? Bruno, Hernangomez, Parker?

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Grant and/or Romeo. Both are shooting 42% from 3pt. Would like to see them get a few more shots per game from deep. I don’t have any confidence in Nesmith or Pritchard at this point. They just aren’t ready.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2021, 04:12:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Terrence Ross is having a down year shooting so far and can't be in the Magic's plans going forward. He can be moved into our trade exception. Who do you dump to get him? Bruno, Hernangomez, Parker?

Hernangomez would obviously be the guy who’s dumped in that scenario, but Ross is owed money next year too, and I wouldn’t do that deal without some additional compensation.  We’d be doing the Magic a favor to help them create an extra $11 million in cap space next year when they’re already one of the few teams with meaningful cap room.  Getting Ross now might cost you Schröder next year, and Ross would be at most the Celtics 9th man this season if he passed Romeo in the rotation, but more likely a 10th man.