Author Topic: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!  (Read 12794 times)

Re: I need to relax and wait for the 20 game rule!
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2021, 02:56:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Jeff Clark says: "Forget the 20-game rule, this team is bad"

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/11/3/22760413/forget-20-game-rule-this-boston-celtics-team-is-bad-ime-udoka-jayson-tatum-marcus-smart-jaylen-brown

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I can't disagree with anything he said...

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2021, 03:38:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/11/3/22760413/forget-20-game-rule-this-boston-celtics-team-is-bad-ime-udoka-jayson-tatum-marcus-smart-jaylen-brown

After how Jeff handled the Forums section after making certain promises, I could not care less what he has to say. Hell, I think my writing and basketball takes are better than his anyway. Jeff can go pound sand.

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

After how Jeff handled the Forums section after making certain promises, I could not care less what he has to say. Hell, I think my writing and basketball takes are better than his anyway. Jeff can go pound sand.

Ouch!!!

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2021, 04:48:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I never thought Boston was a contender, but this team will be fine and finish anywhere from 3rd to 10th in the conference.  That is where this team will end up because that is the quality of the roster on the team.  Tatum will get to the mean and the team will win more.  Ime will figure out that Smart is not a PG and will stop playing him there.  It will all balance out and barring some major injuries the team will win somewhere in the 45-50 range of games. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2021, 04:55:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Ouch!!!

Glade to see you relaxing and everything  ;)

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2021, 06:03:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I never thought Boston was a contender, but this team will be fine and finish anywhere from 3rd to 10th in the conference.  That is where this team will end up because that is the quality of the roster on the team.  Tatum will get to the mean and the team will win more.  Ime will figure out that Smart is not a PG and will stop playing him there.  It will all balance out and barring some major injuries the team will win somewhere in the 45-50 range of games.

Smart's not a shooting guard either.

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2021, 06:13:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

lol he's totally right though
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2021, 06:33:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Smarts not a point guard, Smart is DEF not a shooting guard, but then what the heck is he?
He is closer to a PG than a SG.  If he could pull himself back in with the bone headed plays, I think he could be a decent PG.  But he just can't do that.

I think he needs to go back to being 6th man def energy guy, start DS and let him get more minutes with the starters.
Smart is 1st guy off the bench and replaces whomever is having problems defensively between DS / JB / JT.
Maybe Smart can get back to having a bigger impact defensively if he isn't worried about starting.

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2021, 06:36:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jeff Clark lost a lot of credibility with me with all the trade Jaylen stuff.   He is more often wrong than right.   But he is right about the

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2021, 09:19:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart plays just fine as a 2 guard.  He isn't a shooter, but plenty of SG's in history haven't been shooters.  You don't need that from the position. 

Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Horford should be the starting 5.  I really don't understand why Ime doesn't see that.

I also really think they need to shorten the rotation for the next few games and get the team back to winning basketball (and more than just against crappy Orlando).  I'd do something like this for the next few games

PG - Schroder 30, Smart 18
SG - Smart 12, Richardson 24, Brown 12
SF - Brown 24, Tatum 24
PF - Tatum 12, G. Williams 24, Horford 12
C - Horford 16, R. Williams 32

Get the team set up well rotationally and win some games.  You start winning, you start sprinkling back in Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard, Parker, etc. 

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2021, 09:23:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Smart plays just fine as a 2 guard.  He isn't a shooter, but plenty of SG's in history haven't been shooters.  You don't need that from the position. 

Schroder, Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Horford should be the starting 5.  I really don't understand why Ime doesn't see that.

I also really think they need to shorten the rotation for the next few games and get the team back to winning basketball (and more than just against crappy Orlando).  I'd do something like this for the next few games

SF - Brown 24, Tatum 24

Get the team set up well rotationally and win some games.  You start winning, you start sprinkling back in Langford, Nesmith, Pritchard, Parker, etc.

I'm old fashioned I like shooting guards that can shoot.

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2021, 09:23:48 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

SF - Brown 24, Tatum 24

Seems coach is hearing you. But replaced G. Williams with Romeo tonight. (Caveat I only caught the final dozen minutes or so)

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:26 PM »

Kiorrik

SF - Brown 24, Tatum 24

Great call. And agreed.

Need cohesion amongst starters first and foremost.

Start blowing crummy teams out by 30 points in the first half. Then play the bench.

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2021, 11:35:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

SF - Brown 24, Tatum 24

Going off of ESPN's all time rankings, these are the career 3 point shooting percentages of the best (32.7%), 2nd best (32.9%), 4th best (29.3%), and 5th best (31.8%) SG's of all time.  Now I get that Jordan, Bryant, Wade, and Drexler are clearly significantly better all around players than Smart, but they aren't much better (or in the case of Wade worse) outside shooters than Smart.  And for the record Iverson was 6th at 31.3% and Gervin was 7th at 29.7% (NBA) - so that is 6 of the top 7 best SG's in league history and they were all poor shooters (West was 3rd and predates the 3 point shot, but he was a pretty solid shooter so I suspect he would have been fine shooting from deep).  In other words, you do not need a SG that can actually shoot.  Smart is a + defender, rebounder, and passer from the SG position.  That is plenty good enough as a starter.

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2021, 12:07:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

SF - Brown 24, Tatum 24

Going off of ESPN's all time rankings, these are the career 3 point shooting percentages of the best (32.7%), 2nd best (32.9%), 4th best (29.3%), and 5th best (31.8%) SG's of all time.  Now I get that Jordan, Bryant, Wade, and Drexler are clearly significantly better all around players than Smart, but they aren't much better (or in the case of Wade worse) outside shooters than Smart.  And for the record Iverson was 6th at 31.3% and Gervin was 7th at 29.7% (NBA) - so that is 6 of the top 7 best SG's in league history and they were all poor shooters (West was 3rd and predates the 3 point shot, but he was a pretty solid shooter so I suspect he would have been fine shooting from deep).  In other words, you do not need a SG that can actually shoot.  Smart is a + defender, rebounder, and passer from the SG position.  That is plenty good enough as a starter.
Liam said nothing about only shooting from three. He said shoot. And those all-time greats were deadly from inside the arc and great mid range shooters. I think they might all have been over 50%(or right around there) from 2 point % whereas Smart is still awful from inside the arc