Author Topic: Thoughts going into the regular season?  (Read 8615 times)

Thoughts going into the regular season?
« on: October 14, 2021, 10:01:14 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Sounds like the starters are going to be held out of the final preseason game..So how are you feeling about this C’s team going into the regular season? From what you’ve seen thus far, what do you like and/or dislike.

I’m excited to see this years roster, but feel like it’s going to take time to build chemistry with all of the new pieces and a first time head coach. Luckily the schedule isn’t too bad to start off the year, minus the Knicks.

Shooting could be an issue for the C’s this season, so I’m hoping that Pritchard and Nesmith can provide a scoring punch off the bench. I like what I’ve seen from both of them this preseason and Udoka needs to make sure that they are involved on the offensive end. I expect this years team to be much better defensively.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:41:07 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Thoughts going into the season?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 10:06:04 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I think that the following teams are better:

-MIL
-BKN
-MIA

I think the Celtics and 76ers are in the 4-5 range. The Celtics should win a playoff series (or two), but my expectations are top 8 in the league and that's about it.

This is ok because the team is young and they've recently made major organizational changes. I like the new coach, and think the future is bright.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

-MIL
-BKN
-MIA

I think the Celtics and 76ers are in the 4-5 range. The Celtics should win a playoff series (or two), but my expectations are top 8 in the league and that's about it.

This is ok because the team is young and they've recently made major organizational changes. I like the new coach, and think the future is bright.

So a bridge year? Interesting that you have Miami on the list of teams better than the C’s, but not Philly who finished with the best record last season.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

-MIL
-BKN
-MIA

So a bridge year? Interesting that you have Miami on the list of teams better than the C’s, but not Philly who finished with the best record last season.
well, in all fairness his point on philly's team this upcoming year may be taking the simmons drama into account. that is certainly going to affect the team in some way.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Thoughts going into the regular season?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 05:54:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tempering my expectations this year, as there's been significant roster turnover and we have a new coach. However, I like our ball-movement thus far, and we have the foundations of a good defensive team. I think it's all coming together nicely
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 06:00:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Going to withhold my opinion until I have seen the starting lineup play more than a whole zero minutes together.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 06:08:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Going to withhold my opinion until I have seen the starting lineup play more than a whole zero minutes together.

who do you think that starting lineup consists of?

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am always glad when we start playing the season.  I am cautiously optimistic.   I think we are a better team than last year with more depth.  I like how Udoka is really coaching on the sidelines.   We are not world beaters but we can make some noise

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Couldn't tell much from preseason. Have to see more games to tell how this team is going to play sytem and rotation wise. My feeling going in is not to expect much and it may take some time before the team gels. With a new coach they probably need a lot of 5 on 5 practice. I'd exclusively run those to build up chemistry and system understanding. Right now I still see 3 guys involved in a play the rest hanging out. The defense needs better flexibility too. A lot of trust and communication is going to have to be done early if the team is to be top 4 in the East.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Not sure but it's definitely not any of the ones we have seen this far. Juancho ain't starting and Brown only played the one preseason game starting alongside Juancho.

Lots of guesses:

Smart/Josh/Jay/Jay/Timelord
Smart/Josh/Jay/Jay/Al
Smart/Dennis/Jay/Jay/Timelord
Smart/Dennis/Jay/Jay/Al
Smart/Jay/Jay/Al/Timelord

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 06:44:16 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I want to see them play for the first 10-15 games or so. Main things I'm keeping an eye on:

- who will the starting lineup actually be or will be a "horses for courses" type situation where it will change depending on the opponent. I think Smart, the Jays and Timelord are locks, but will Al start if we want a traditional two-big lineup or will Schroder start if we want the Jays on the wings.
- who will be our third scorer, the 15-18ppg guy. I suspect it will be Schroder, with the rest of the scoring duties handled by the Romeo/Nesmith combo but we will see
- speaking of Romeo and Nesmith, I'm excited to continue to watch their progression

And more out of curiosity than anything else - will we get Portland Kanter or Boston Kanter? Because Portland Kanter could go 20-20 and did on a number of occasions last season. Is Ime going to find situations where we can make use of Kanter's skillset without affecting us too much on the defensive side of the ball? Because Brad couldn't.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 07:49:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Not sure but it's definitely not any of the ones we have seen this far. Juancho ain't starting and Brown only played the one preseason game starting alongside Juancho.

Lots of guesses:

Smart/Josh/Jay/Jay/Timelord
Smart/Josh/Jay/Jay/Al
Smart/Dennis/Jay/Jay/Timelord
Smart/Dennis/Jay/Jay/Al
Smart/Jay/Jay/Al/Timelord

I’m hoping Udoka goes with this lineup. Having 3 players out of the starting 5 that can consistently make shots is going to be really important. The ball movement with Schroder playing point and Horford at the 5 is so much better, too. Smart is not a point guard.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I'm optimistic, but this will be a work in progress. We have no idea how Udoka will manage his rotation, react to certain game situations etc which means the games are going to be real interesting to watch.

He hasn't really tipped his hand with the rotation.

I think this team has the ingredients to surprise a lot of people but potential is one thing and actual performance is another.  It seems like Horford is going to help - immensely - so hopefully he can stay healthy and not have a lot of games where he simply isn't a factor - as often happens when players get old. Can Nesmith and Romeo take the next step? Can Richardson get back on track? Shroeder playing for a contract can't hurt. Will Tatum move the ball and trust his teammates? Will the coach show some stones (that one looks like a yes) etc.

Really looking forward to the season starting.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 09:51:45 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
My thoughts on the regular season is that I think I will enjoy this team more than I have in a few years. I do think that our record may surprise people but more than that I think I will like the way the team plays and is coached. I think they will be fun to watch and easy to root for. From the players to the new coaches and even to having Brad in Danny's role I feel as though we have a more likable team across the board. I am excited to have a team I am excited to watch again, if that makes sense.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 09:56:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
My thoughts on the regular season is that I think I will enjoy this team more than I have in a few years. I do think that our record may surprise people but more than that I think I will like the way the team plays and is coached. I think they will be fun to watch and easy to root for. From the players to the new coaches and even to having Brad in Danny's role I feel as though we have a more likable team across the board. I am excited to have a team I am excited to watch again, if that makes sense.
Let's hope more likable equals better. I am not sure, no how likable they are, that I want to suffer through another .500 season.