Author Topic: Ja's Dunk was a charge  (Read 2583 times)

Re: Ja's Dunk was a charge
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 09:53:31 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I love when a defender mans up and takes a charge while guarding his guy BUT I hate charge calls where a guy runs in the last second to take a charge and (even worse on a pass).  That isnt defense and is on par with offense sweeping arms to get a call.  These are legit basketball plays.  Call it a block every time and get it out of the league.

If the defender is there first it's a charge. Defense is really hard to play in this modern game.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 10:04:43 AM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
If the defender is there first it's a charge.

Yep - but it should not be in those cases.  A millisecond before offense guy launches an off defender jumps to a spot so he gets 'charged' when the guy lands is lame.  That isnt defense - and its dangerous. 

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 10:15:02 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I personally think that as long as the guy is able to dunk, then all charges are nullified. Of course, that is assuming that the dunker is not using their off hand to block, deflect, or elevate off the defender. If you are that athletic and are capable of making that play, there's not much the defender can do in that situation.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2022, 11:33:20 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
If the defender is there first it's a charge.

Yep - but it should not be in those cases.  A millisecond before offense guy launches an off defender jumps to a spot so he gets 'charged' when the guy lands is lame.  That isnt defense - and its dangerous.

So would you have defenses just get out of the way of Dunkers? When Jordan, Dominique, Dr. J, and Vince Carter played there were no flagrants, Defense could play and the hand check was still allowed.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 12:16:39 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The reason why an offensive foul was not called was because the defender obviously flopped. BTW, weren’t the referees told a few seasons ago, to not reward flopping?

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2022, 02:18:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Kinda wild to me that guys establish position a split-second before the offensive player launches. Maybe the biggest difference between the NBA and the playground game. I would not try that on a local asphalt court, or probably even in a gym.

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2022, 02:34:40 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
So would you have defenses just get out of the way of Dunkers? When Jordan, Dominique, Dr. J, and Vince Carter played there were no flagrants, Defense could play and the hand check was still allowed.

Go up and contest/block/foul - you know - try to make real defensive play.  I have played 1000s of pickup basketball games and this has literally never happened in any of our games - because normal players dont accept this BS as a part of basketball.  It happens in the NBA because they reward this non-basketball tactic.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2022, 08:19:54 PM »

Kiorrik

Kinda wild to me that guys establish position a split-second before the offensive player launches. Maybe the biggest difference between the NBA and the playground game. I would not try that on a local asphalt court, or probably even in a gym.

Nah, in a gym, surely, you would?

I love drawing charges man.

(but agreed, HELL no on outdoor courts)