Author Topic: 18 Former NBA Players Arrested - Defrauding NBA Health & Welfare Benefit Plan  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Whoa.  Some familiar faces.

Tom Winter
@Tom_Winter
BREAKING: 18 former NBA players have been arrested and charged federally for defrauding the NBA’s Health and Welfare Benefit Plan out of approximately $4,000,000, law enforcement officials say.

Reported by
@jonathan4ny

and me.
9:28 AM · Oct 7, 2021·TweetDeck

Tom Winter
@Tom_Winter
·
6m
Replying to
@Tom_Winter
 and
@jonathan4ny
Some of the players charged include:
- Milt Palacio
- Sebastian Telfair
- Antoine Wright
- Darius Miles
- Ruben Patterson
- Eddie Robinson
- Gregory Smith
- Glen Davis
- Jamario Moon

(1/2)
Tom Winter
@Tom_Winter
·
2m
More former players:
- Terrence Williams
- Alan Anderson
- Tony Allen
- Shannon Brown
- William Bynum
- Melvin Ely
- Christopher Douglas-Roberts
- Tony Wroten

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Da Big Baby …strikes again.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
4 ex-Celtics.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Six former Celts?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
4 ex-Celtics.

I count 6, 7 if you include Bynum (but he was traded for and released without playing in a game.)

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams

Sigh... this is not how I want to remember these guys

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams
I didn't count Miles as he never played a regular season game here. Williams I just forgot about because, well, in his time here, his play was quite forgettable.😁

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Miracle Milt! Oh, no!

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams

Yeah. It’s disappointing to hear about Baby and Tony in particular.  I don’t know any of the particulars about this case, but combined those guys made $75 million in their careers.  There’s no need to even go near any criminal activity.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams

Yeah. It’s disappointing to hear about Baby and Tony in particular.  I don’t know any of the particulars about this case, but combined those guys made $75 million in their careers.  There’s no need to even go near any criminal activity.

So waiting for more to come out on this but are talking something like submitting false claims or something much more in depth here?  Millionaires submitting false claims here just seems so needless and unnecessarily.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The indictment says that former NBA player Terrence Williams “orchestrated” a plan to submit false claims to the NBA’s Health and Welfare Benefit Plan. Williams allegedly offered to supply false invoices from a group of former players in exchange for kickback payments to Williams

All told, the indictment says Williams was paid at least $230,000 in kickbacks from 10 other players. 

The players involved and some of their relatives submitted approximately $3.9 million in fraudulent claims and actually received $2.5 million in fraudulent payments.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams

So waiting for more to come out on this but are talking something like submitting false claims or something much more in depth here?  Millionaires submitting false claims here just seems so needless and unnecessarily.

This stuff happens more than you think.  In my younger days — in one of the cooler experiences of my life — I interned at a federal law enforcement agency in Ireland. The number of criminals involved in organized crime who filed for welfare benefits was staggering.  Not just the low end guys, but the actual bosses and shot callers. You would think that when you’re a millionaire based upon illegal activities that you might not want to invite further government scrutiny, but these folks had no shame.

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams

Yeah, TA is the most disappointing to me.  $40 million in his career.  If he was hard up because he made mistakes, I'm sure he could've gotten a job with some NBA team, much less endorsement money from businesses around Memphis.  Seems like it was pure greed.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
4 ex-Celtics.

Palacio
Telfair
Miles (preseason only)
Allen
Davis
Williams

Yeah, TA is the most disappointing to me.  $40 million in his career.  If he was hard up because he made mistakes, I'm sure he could've gotten a job with some NBA team, much less endorsement money from businesses around Memphis.  Seems like it was pure greed.

Tony’s wife is indicted, too.  Sad.