4 (21.1%)
Memphis Grizzlies
1 (5.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
2 (10.5%)
Other (Further Elaborate Below)
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: The One Team I’ll Be Watching This Season Is…  (Read 4050 times)

Re: The One Team I’ll Be Watching This Season Is…
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2021, 09:40:02 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I follow the league. For me, NBA basketball is the greatest athletes in the world playing the greatest game at the highest level.

This ^^^^. Been watching NBA since the 60s, have LeaguePass and a TV in my home office, and I watch a lot of games. A focus will be on BKN as the pre-season favorite, but I'll flip from game to game all the time.

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 10:37:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I have to say last season in the year of Covid I watched the most basketball I ever watched, and enjoyed it.  I usually just watch all Celtics games, but I watched a ton of other games too.   I might do more of what I did last season.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2021, 11:01:09 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I follow the league. For me, NBA basketball is the greatest athletes in the world playing the greatest game at the highest level.

Having said that, I’m paying special attention to Toronto this season. They’ve gone the farthest that any team ever has in the radical direction of positionless basketball, with the most innovative head coach in the game.
That's a good call, their fleet of athletic wings will be super interesting to see. Even Boucher, who is listed as a centre, is more of a wing.

Yes, exactly.  You might even say they’ve got a fleet of swings: 6’9” guys with 7’2” wingspans.

Precious Achiuwa made a gorgeous step-back 3 on Monday, btw. I’m wondering if Miami did the right thing, by the way.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2021, 11:12:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the NBA is such a bad product, that I wouldn't really watch it at all if I wasn't so invested in the C's.
this.  NBA product has deteriorated over the past few decades to the point where I haven't watched a non-Celtic game in over 25 years -- probably close to 30.

Some hope for improvement for those who hate the NBA product

https://twitter.com/action781/status/1445551491444461571?s=20
that's just a start.  need to eliminate the euro-step, blatant palming on drives (back the days when dribbling the ball meant hand on top of the ball at all times -- not catching it in the palm and then bouncing --> no way the majority of these players that rely on that move to get by a defender could do so if they actually had to stick with real dribbling instead of being able to catch the ball in their palm and then basically throw it in the direction they want to drive), the lack of physicality and the obsession in the league of chucking 3s with an almost complete lack of big men that know how to play post offense.  those steps are also needed to get back to having a watchable product on the floor.

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2021, 03:06:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Having said that, I’m paying special attention to Toronto this season. They’ve gone the farthest that any team ever has in the radical direction of positionless basketball, with the most innovative head coach in the game.
That's a good call, their fleet of athletic wings will be super interesting to see. Even Boucher, who is listed as a centre, is more of a wing.

Yes, exactly.  You might even say they’ve got a fleet of swings: 6’9” guys with 7’2” wingspans.

Precious Achiuwa made a gorgeous step-back 3 on Monday, btw. I’m wondering if Miami did the right thing, by the way.
I think they gave up on him pretty early. He has athletic tools and rebounds well for his size. Actually reminds me of a young Udonis Haslem a bit, ironically
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2021, 03:09:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think the NBA is such a bad product, that I wouldn't really watch it at all if I wasn't so invested in the C's.
this.  NBA product has deteriorated over the past few decades to the point where I haven't watched a non-Celtic game in over 25 years -- probably close to 30.

that's just a start.  need to eliminate the euro-step, blatant palming on drives (back the days when dribbling the ball meant hand on top of the ball at all times -- not catching it in the palm and then bouncing --> no way the majority of these players that rely on that move to get by a defender could do so if they actually had to stick with real dribbling instead of being able to catch the ball in their palm and then basically throw it in the direction they want to drive), the lack of physicality and the obsession in the league of chucking 3s with an almost complete lack of big men that know how to play post offense.  those steps are also needed to get back to having a watchable product on the floor.
I don't think ball-handling rules will ever come back. It's too entertaining for most people to see the kind of ball-handling wizardry on show in the modern game.

I think enlarging the court and moving the three point line might help open up offences for post-offence. I still remember 10 years ago when post defence was a key skill for a big man - now, it's not even on scouting reports for draft prospects. I think it's regrettable.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2021, 07:16:01 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Bulls highlights from today...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2021, 09:23:59 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

I don't think ball-handling rules will ever come back. It's too entertaining for most people to see the kind of ball-handling wizardry on show in the modern game.

I think enlarging the court and moving the three point line might help open up offences for post-offence. I still remember 10 years ago when post defence was a key skill for a big man - now, it's not even on scouting reports for draft prospects. I think it's regrettable.

I'm still shocked the corner three exists. But, we have to be careful what we wish for with a return of posting up - the Mark Jackson rule is one of, if not the, best offensive rule change the NBA has ever made.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2021, 09:33:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm still shocked the corner three exists. But, we have to be careful what we wish for with a return of posting up - the Mark Jackson rule is one of, if not the, best offensive rule change the NBA has ever made.
post offense can be a real joy to watch -- moreso than an endless barrage of 3's being chucked up.  If Kevin Mchale was coming into the league as it's currently playing, I suspect every team would relegate him to end of the rotation in favor of a PF/C that can chuck from distance which would be a disgrace and a loss for real fans of the game.

as for the return to real dribbling, I sadly have to agree that the days of keeping the hand on top of the ball are likely never to return.  Bob Cousy, fans of the game turn their lonely eyes to you.   :'(

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
I'm mildly surprised to see how many posters here only watch the Celtics. I'm more surprised to discover how many posters think the NBA has a bad product.

I don't judge your taste. I just wonder that you'd continue to spend your time with something you don't like.

Is 'tragic' the word I want here?

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

I think they gave up on him pretty early. He has athletic tools and rebounds well for his size. Actually reminds me of a young Udonis Haslem a bit, ironically

He was the real cost of getting Kyle Lowry. Masai has been tracking Precious for a long time now.

Great body and movement, beautiful shot mechanics - and if the range is real they've added a critical piece. In his rookie year he didn't shoot outside 10 feet.

4% blocks, 11.5% offensive boards, good finisher as a rookie.

I note with interest that Boston has a game with them this weekend.

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
I'm mildly surprised to see how many posters here only watch the Celtics. I'm more surprised to discover how many posters think the NBA has a bad product.

I don't judge your taste. I just wonder that you'd continue to spend your time with something you don't like.

I think discerning is the word you want.

I like basketball and have rooting interest in the Celts. I watch some playoffs when the Celts aren't in it but there would have to be a really compelling story or player for me to spend 2.5hrs plus watching a non-Celts NBA regular season game. It can be so contrived and features so much ugly basketball, often lacks anything compelling. Guess, I just have other ways to get my basketball fix, watching local college teams or my sons school teams, or playing in a pickup game.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

post offense can be a real joy to watch -- moreso than an endless barrage of 3's being chucked up.  If Kevin Mchale was coming into the league as it's currently playing, I suspect every team would relegate him to end of the rotation in favor of a PF/C that can chuck from distance which would be a disgrace and a loss for real fans of the game.

as for the return to real dribbling, I sadly have to agree that the days of keeping the hand on top of the ball are likely never to return.  Bob Cousy, fans of the game turn their lonely eyes to you.   :'(

For me, at least, it's all about degree:
Endless barrages of threes are bad. Great three point shooting is a delight.
Mark Jackson (or, on pain of death, Sir Charles) backing someone down for 15 seconds every possession is bad. I'll watch Hakeem highlights for an hour with my jaw open.

Even the 1v5 offenses of the late 90's early 00's had some amazing moments. I loved Allen Iverson's game, but I also loved the Kings.

I also loved watching the SSOL Suns. And the Spurs. And the 04 Pistons. And the grit and grind Grizzlies. And so on.

Because distinct basketball is almost always a joy to watch (unless it's the Morey Rockets with Harden, that was antithetical to joy as a concept).

On McHale, I still think distinct basketball can survive the also-ran system of rule changes and the advent of serious analytics. If one of your best players is a post-legend, you put him in the post X number of possessions per game. The numbers bear that out beyond the basic fan understanding that 3>2.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

'tragic' would be watching NBA games other than the Celtic games if someone doesn't like the game.  Watching the C's is being a dedicated fan of the team. 

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2021, 06:38:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Are you trying to say you don't want to see Embiid back down opposing big men for 10 seconds?